5150 into recto IR test. which IR is better?

Wow! Both are very good. I'm used to only criticising people's tones here but there's nothing bad I can come up with. :D The JJ450 cuts better and the RCE is more agressive. What I'd do is make a quick try how those two blend together. If you're making recordings it'd be cool as hell to have one on the left and one on the right. If you have to choose one then it's the JJ450. Very nice tones!

Wow!! Both sounds awesome really!! I think i like the RCE a bit more, seems to me like it really bites in the 4k area, I don't know. For sure, both kick ass, great metal tone!!

Ha, they both kick some serious ass bro! I prefer the JJ450 for my own taste. Just for a laugh I stuck en both in my DAW panned one hard left and one hard right and nearly wet myself, sounds sooo good! Just use them both :cool:

Can't wait to find out what they are.

thanks for the input, u guys made my day ;)
glad to know im headed in the right direction in my tweakin skills.
so JJ450 is Guitarhack mesa IR "GuitarHack JJ FRED45 0.wav" which has JJ powertubes and i believe a 5150 head was used to make the IR. the guitarhack IR's have been around for sometime before redwirez. RCE is redwirez mesa sm57 capedge1 and capedge 0.5 combined 50/50.

if u click on the same link in the first post i added the guitar hack IRs in wav and syx format. of course i cant provide u guys with the redwirez ones.

ang said:
thanks for the input, u guys made my day ;)
glad to know im headed in the right direction in my tweakin skills.
so JJ450 is Guitarhack mesa IR "GuitarHack JJ FRED45 0.wav" which has JJ powertubes and i believe a 5150 head was used to make the IR. the guitarhack IR's have been around for sometime before redwirez. RCE is redwirez mesa sm57 capedge1 and capedge 0.5 combined 50/50.

if u click on the same link in the first post i added the guitar hack IRs in wav and syx format. of course i cant provide u guys with the redwirez ones.

Cool, I had an idea that it might be one of the GH IRs, good stuff with the RW too. If you fancy spilling the beans on the setup of the patches (or even uploading them) then that would also be cool :)

Spence

I like the jj450 better. I think it has more fullness and body. I think it would be killer if you mixed it with a nice thick bass guitar to fill it out even more.

Wow... did you do a lot of postprocessing since both of those IRs sound like asstronauts with my setup. Too bright and no mids... but you got mids etc. What blocks do you have in your patch?

ill post patches tommorrow cause i goto head out soon.
the only post processing i did was a single P-EQ. the recorded tracks had no eqing, just cause i like eqing on a daw better.

guitarhack: low and high cut only
redwirez: 442hz -4.5db, low and high cut filter, boosted the highs and lows by upping the 'Q'

i have changed minor settings so i wont have the exact ones as the clips but they are pretty much there. ill try and incorporate the eqing in the patches.

ang said:
so JJ450 is Guitarhack mesa IR "GuitarHack JJ FRED45 0.wav" which has JJ powertubes and i believe a 5150 head was used to make the IR.

N00b Q: Does this mean that a power amp is included in the impulse? I.e. if used with the Axe, would it be recommended to turn off the power amp sim?

Artean said:
ang said:
so JJ450 is Guitarhack mesa IR "GuitarHack JJ FRED45 0.wav" which has JJ powertubes and i believe a 5150 head was used to make the IR.

N00b Q: Does this mean that a power amp is included in the impulse? I.e. if used with the Axe, would it be recommended to turn off the power amp sim?

not sure if the input or fx loop was used to make the IR but ya u can really hear the tube coloring which is why i prefer this ir. i have not tried playing with the poweramp settings to off but just do whatever sounds best to you.

i uploaded the patches at my original link. again ive changed a few basic amp settings and the Peq so its not the exact tone as the clip but its close.

Artean said:
ang said:

I believe that the GH impulses were recorded from the FX loop, as such they contain sound information from the the Presence control and Power amp circuit of the amplifier. I can't go into any detail because I don't know the answer myself, but the EQ (linear characteristics) of these is only part of the equation when emulating a power amp. These linear effects can be captured buy a standard IR. However, there are some non-linear factors such as distortion which cannot be captured, thus emulated, using a standard IR so the effects of these will not be included.

The idea is that the AxeFX shouldn't need this information as it has a full presence and power amp emulation built into the Amp block, however if it sounds good the who cares :twisted:

Hope this makes some sort of sense :?

Spence

Stroya said:
I preferred the RCE, less top end fizzyness in places :)

sounds great
that's where I'm torn . I like the highs on the rce, but like the bottom end on the JJ

Back
Top Bottom