5150 III as Power Amp

JRod4928

Power User
Wanted to share a revelation I just had.... through some basic research I found that 5150 III Power Section is fairly clean and runs at a constant power (the gain/volume knobs only control preamp signal and FX Send signals respectively), which means you can set up presets to use the 5150 III as a power amp and send that to whatever speaker you prefer. All you have to do is set it up so the signal goes purely to the FX Return on the 5150. Voila, tube power amp for your AxeFX unit.

For me, that means I'll primarily run the 5150 in 4CM with my processor. And when I prefer a different amp, set up a preset to whatever amp simulation I want, turn off cab Sims, send signal to only the FX Return of the 5150. I'm sure other amps are set up like this too. Might be basic info for most, but it was a very important find for me.

Best of both worlds!

Wanted to share a revelation I just had.... through some basic research I found that 5150 III Power Section is fairly clean and runs at a constant power (the gain/volume knobs only control preamp signal and FX Send signals respectively), which means you can set up presets to use the 5150 III as a power amp and send that to whatever speaker you prefer. All you have to do is set it up so the signal goes purely to the FX Return on the 5150. Voila, tube power amp for your AxeFX unit.

For me, that means I'll primarily run the 5150 in 4CM with my processor. And when I prefer a different amp, set up a preset to whatever amp simulation I want, turn off cab Sims, send signal to only the FX Return of the 5150. I'm sure other amps are set up like this too. Might be basic info for most, but it was a very important find for me.

Best of both worlds!
Yes...not a new revelation though. Many have been doing this with clean/neutral and not so neutral power amps or heads. I personally am using a Fryette PS2 which is very neutral 50W 6L6 tube power amp into a Mesa cab.

Yes...not a new revelation though. Many have been doing this with clean/neutral and not so neutral power amps or heads. I personally am using a Fryette PS2 which is very neutral 50W 6L6 tube power amp into a Mesa cab.
Yes didn't think it was. But I don't know how common knowledge it is that some tube amps can be used this way

@GuitarGuy316, I like how that fryette ps2 uses power tubes but is is neutral enough to allow you to keep power amp modeling engaged...
I have got to try one of those one day...

Oddly enough, the years with Fractal have caused me to get rid of many Vintage Amps, but still amass a large number of vintage cabs!

...waiting for someone to comment on my "best of both worlds" comment with respect to a EVH amp... :)
I did catch that, and laughed inside where it counts…😁
You do have to remember to turn the effects loop on with the foot switch when using that amp. That has caught me up in the past... haha

@GuitarGuy316, I like how that fryette ps2 uses power tubes but is is neutral enough to allow you to keep power amp modeling engaged...
I have got to try one of those one day...

Oddly enough, the years with Fractal have caused me to get rid of many Vintage Amps, but still amass a large number of vintage cabs!
I think Cliff actually said with this power amp and other neutral ones to leave the power sim on. I think it was on the Fractal wiki site as well with a direct quote. I recall Fryette is directly mentioned.

I ran the FM3 into the FX return of my Fryette Sig:X and preferred to leave power amp modeling on. If the power amp modeling was off, the sound was too thin for my liking. Then again, I wasn't cranked at get-over-a-drummer levels.

I ran the FM3 into the FX return of my Fryette Sig:X and preferred to leave power amp modeling on. If the power amp modeling was off, the sound was too thin for my liking. Then again, I wasn't cranked at get-over-a-drummer levels.
Yeah honestly I think whichever sounds better in the room, go for that. With mine being a neutral tube power amp, I leave it on. Whatever cabinet you're using is going to make way more of a difference in sound then the power amp sim will IMO, at least for in the room sound.

I think Cliff actually said with this power amp and other neutral ones to leave the power sim on. I think it was on the Fractal wiki site as well with a direct quote. I recall Fryette is directly mentioned.
Yes, that’s what I’m saying. It allows you to keep the power amp modeling engaged. That’s awesome!

Back
Top Bottom