5 months and not a single update?

Just like cliff said, don't expect many update like axefx2 , but in fx8 case I can live with that, fx8 is about press the floor switch , turn out the amp volume and rocked!!

We did, however, design the AX-8 and FX-8 to share as much software as possible so a lot of the AX-8 work and functionality will therefore find it's way into the FX-8 update with little effort.

This is what I wanted to hear! I plan to keep my FX-8, but want to set it up as similarly as possible to the Ax-8 (when I get it… sooner than "soon" I hope LOL).

I'm actually a little surprised that there hasn't been an update in a long time too. I am not complaining about the current FX8 firmware, just saying I am surprised there hasn't been any tweaks in a while.

One of the biggest complaints people have with the competition is that they very very rarely update -i.e. TC electronics and Line 6 etc.
I've always thought that it was brilliant that fractal continuously updates the axe fx2 -it's a way to "give back" to all existing customers in a relatively efficient and inexpensive way. Moreover, it's a business model that creates loyalty in customers because they feel like the company cares and is striving to improve the user experience.

Anyways, the fx8 is great right now, but I look forward to some updates that'll make it even more awesome. For me, a bigger display option and global effect blocks would be amazing. I use the same overdrive in about 40 different presets, and when I need to tweak my drive setting quickly, its impossible to do so. Having a global drive block like the axe fx2 would solve this problem.

Anyways, thanks fractal for such an amazing product. I can wait for an update.

New firmware is coming soon. The engineers have been devoted to AX-8 for the last five months. Our engineering resources are limited.

We did, however, design the AX-8 and FX-8 to share as much software as possible so a lot of the AX-8 work and functionality will therefore find it's way into the FX-8 update with little effort.

The FX-8 will never have the type of update frequency that the Axe-Fx products have had. It's not that type of product. The vast majority of customers love the product just as it is. We do listen to our customers and if we deem a wish or suggestion to be feasible and desirable then we will attempt to add it, if possible. Did you post your wishes anywhere? We cannot implement features if we are unaware of the request.

;-) But please, please, please implement Midi CC per preset/scene. PC per preset/scene ist ok so far but my amp (and a lot of other amps too) has a lot of CC features (Powertube switching , noise gate , boost etc. pp). It would be a dream to send multiple (5 is enough) CC messages when switching presets/scences. ;-)

I am used to my analog pedal chain... I use the M13, and now the FX8. I know there are a lot of preferences out there, but sometimes, the user just has to adjust to the new equipment in terms of layout, functionality, parameters... etc.

I bought the FX8 because its rugged, and high-tech. The bonus to me is the updates that come about every once in a while. I certainly do not expect it, because the unit is awesome as is, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Im not even a FAS fanboy as this is the only thing I own from FAS. I think it is up to me to adjust to it, and learn along the way. Its part of the challenge, and fun, and will help me become a better musician.

I also do photography, and whenever a new camera comes out, people usually want different features, more updates, etc - and the camera just came out! I would imagine it is very difficult to accommodate everyone as a manufacturer/engineer. I feel nowadays, customers want more things to fit them right off the bat, instead of trying to adjust to the camera or in this case guitar equipment.

it would be awesome if everything I bought or wanted fit me perfectly, I'm with you guys on that one. It would be amazing if firmware updates came out every week answering my every wish. Who wouldn't want that? But, there is something to be said for learning how to use what you have very well and being happy with it. There are plenty of features to keep us busy in technology nowadays, that may lead to adjustments and workarounds as is.

New firmware is coming soon. The engineers have been devoted to AX-8 for the last five months. Our engineering resources are limited.

The FX-8 will never have the type of update frequency that the Axe-Fx products have had. It's not that type of product. The vast majority of customers love the product just as it is. We do listen to our customers and if we deem a wish or suggestion to be feasible and desirable then we will attempt to add it, if possible. Did you post your wishes anywhere? We cannot implement features if we are unaware of the request.

It would be great if the online FX8 manual is updated when the firmware is available.

;-) But please, please, please implement Midi CC per preset/scene. PC per preset/scene ist ok so far but my amp (and a lot of other amps too) has a lot of CC features (Powertube switching , noise gate , boost etc. pp). It would be a dream to send multiple (5 is enough) CC messages when switching presets/scences. ;-)

Yep, agreed. Would be great to engage my amp's boost in this way.

I believe that Fractal is just getting the update "right", and to get it right takes time. Happy Holidays to everyone!

Dave

I agree there's no need to complain or be stroppy. It is what is it and when fractal have an improved firmware it will appear.

I think it's understandable for people to feel a little frustrated and have different expectations when they see the frequency or updates the axefx has had. I was half expecting to be selective over which updates I chose to install rather that waiting for them but it's not like the fx8 is unusable - just we can see how it will be even better.

Bear in mind that most of the updates for the Axe FX have been improvements in amp and cab modeling. If you removed those from the equation the firmware updates for it would be pretty infrequent. I say this because that's one thing that is going to affect FX-8 updates going forward. Effect algorithms have had lots of attention from a variety of manufacturers for a few decades so there's not much to do with them. They can be slightly improved and optimized but that's about it.

Bear in mind that most of the updates for the Axe FX have been improvements in amp and cab modeling. If you removed those from the equation the firmware updates for it would be pretty infrequent. I say this because that's one thing that is going to affect FX-8 updates going forward. Effect algorithms have had lots of attention from a variety of manufacturers for a few decades so there's not much to do with them. They can be slightly improved and optimized but that's about it.

IMO...I don't think the effects need a single update. Just usability of unit. 4 patches and 4 IA per bank....also a reversal of letters and background when effect is on so you can quickly see what is what in regards to being on. I would think these tweaks would be something easy to do...no crazy algorithms to calculate or design. Simple usable functions all would probably love.

There's a difference between asking and complaining. Why complain?

Because critical feedback -- aka "complaining" -- is how the makers of products know what needs to be improved. Thoughtful and well-written complaints are gifts that users/customers give to the people who make stuff, and they should be interpreted exactly as that: gifts. If he didn't like or care about FractalAudio, he wouldn't have bothered to take his time to write anything at all, but he does care, and he wants to see things improve, and the way he can help is to offer his feedback.

IMO...I don't think the effects need a single update.

I have to disagree. The lack of a SansAmp Bass Driver equivalent (with that magic "Presence" knob), and the lack of a wah that doesn't tone-suck all the low end away, are both major shortcomings for us bass guitarists. And before anyone jumps in and rants about how this product is "primarily intended for guitar", go read the marketing material on the product page on FAS'es web site, which clearly says the FX-8 is supposed to work equally well for bass. As of right now, it really doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom