5-Cable Method Achievable

Eruerable

I'm thinking of returning to the fold and using in combination with my Mark V, which I adore.

Is it possible to route the signal such that it goes:
1. Guitar to Axe
2. Axe send to Amp pre
3. Amp send to Axe return
4. Axe out to Amp return
5. Amp PPA tap to Axe

The idea is that I have a normal mono 4CM, but then bring in the built in post-power tap from the V and run it through a cab block to go to FOH.

It requires 3 in and 3 out on the Axe, which on the face of it seems possible as there are stereo main in on rear, stereo main out and the send/return (which I count as 1 I/O as I'm assuming the stereo pairs get switched together by the FX loop block).

Can this be done with panning and routing genius-ery, of which these halls abound? I assume I'll not be able use the secret sauce input in the configuration.

Not sure you can freely split the I/O this way, if anyone can figure this out, its Chris Luke!

You could possibly skip step 5 and do the split internally with a STEREO cab block, where one cab is set to NONE (or NULL?) and panned left to the left output (this out goes back to your AMP return, then out to your real cab), and the other cab is loaded with your cab of choice and panned to the right output to FOH.

Yes, this is possible. What you have to do is split the signal on the INPUT block of the axe into two seperate mono channels via blocks that have a channel select, like VOL, AMP or DRV. I recommend using the VOL blocks as they have the most powerful controls for this.

Then route the right channel signal straight from INPUT to OUTPUT; make sure it hits OUTPUT hard right panned for the PPA tap signal row and hard left panned for the amp return out row.

This effectively creates a seperate processing channel in your grid.
However, everything will be MONO then, including the post amp-effects.

Note: set input 1 mode to STEREO, or it won't work.

So here's what it should look like:

Attachments

• Sketch PPA tap.jpg
    Sketch PPA tap.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Another option is PPA tap to Input 2R instead of 1R.

Input 2 mode = stereo. (Input 1 mode = left only, routing from input to FXL stays as you'd use in 4CM.) Branch from FXL to cab block. Set cab "input select" parameter = right. Balance last block in this row (cab, unless adding FOH-only effects) 100% right, or use output mixer row balance control.

You may or may not need a vol/pan in the first row after FXL. If the first effect here is fully stereo you could balance it 100% left. For blocks summing to mono at input (some pitch & delay types, reverb, others depending on settings) use vol/pan with input select = left. When in doubt use the vol/pan. Also balance last block 100% left or use output mixer balance.

Another option is PPA tap to Input 2R instead of 1R.
Yeah, true. It makes stuff a bit more unintuitive, though. The beauty about using Input 1R is that it creates a stronger visual seperation in wiring, as now you have only one cable per input/output:
- guitar: front input 1
- amp send: input 2
- PPA tap: rear input 1

Yeah, true. It makes stuff a bit more unintuitive, though. The beauty about using Input 1R is that it creates a stronger visual seperation in wiring, as now you have only one cable per input/output:
- guitar: front input 1
- amp send: input 2
- PPA tap: rear input 1

So I don't lose the secret sauce front input?

So I don't lose the secret sauce front input?

Front input can be used with In 1R in stereo. Envelope/ADSR and input noise gate detectors will use a sum of both channels, so you might want to consider this if using those features. It would probably be difficult or impossible to make them respond like before w/ front input alone.

Back
Top Bottom