5" 6" 8" ??

Niko

Inspired
I have decided to purchase studio monitors to use with my new AX8. I almost pulled the trigger on Yamaha HS8 ...but then I saw the forum post about having issue with 8" woofer in regard of too much bass. Does anybody can weigh in if I should stick with the smaller 5 or 6 inch monitors or go 8 inches. I always thought that bigger speaker is better but I have zero experience with studio monitors so any advise will ne highly appreciated.

Also, if someone has personal opinion on Yamaha HS8 vs JBL lsr308 specifically for guitar playing.

How big is the space you will be using them?

A good set of 5" monitors with at least 70 watts of power will let you have a good clean load headroom to work with.

How big is the space you will be using them?

A good set of 5" monitors with at least 70 watts of power will let you have a good clean load headroom to work with.
I normally play in my basement room which is maybe 16 by 18 feet. I really would like to buy 8" but don't wanna sacrifice sound quality . I will primarily play low volume.

Soooo here's the problem with somebody on the internet stating this speaker or that speaker has "too much bass." Unless they've qualified their opin... I mean, observations with some objective measurements and context, it's basically useless. The room you're in makes all the difference in the world.

But first... Your room is shit. Fix your room.

I don't think 8" is overkill in the least bit. I'd likely advocate going with 5/6" monitors with a sub if you're planning on also using these for critical listening and/or mixing.

I normally play in my basement room which is maybe 16 by 18 feet. I really would like to buy 8" but don't wanna sacrifice sound quality . I will primarily play low volume.

Is you can buy 8" go ahead, no problem, most monitors today let you adjust the low freq response.

One thing to be aware, and not to steer you away from your purchase, is that no matter what brand of monitors you buy, if your space is not treated well for sound absorption and dispersion, you will not be getting the best sound out of them.

Research and find out the best DIY way to treat your space with commonly cheap stuff laying around the house.

I have the HS8s. They are very nice, I would not say the bass is excessive. They have a very clear even sound.

I tried them both at GC when I bought the HS8s.
The HS8s were more clear across the frequency spectrum, they were more real sounding in the high end.
The JBLs were warmer sounding.
This was just listening and switching back and forth between them in the GC monitor room. Not a super accurate or scientific test.
I'm sure you would be happy with either one.
What I had before these was KRK Rocket 5"s. The improvement going to the HS8s was night and day!

I tried them both at GC when I bought the HS8s.
The HS8s were more clear across the frequency spectrum, they were more real sounding in the high end.
The JBLs were warmer sounding.
This was just listening and switching back and forth between them in the GC monitor room. Not a super accurate or scientific test.
I'm sure you would be happy with either one.
What I had before these was KRK Rocket 5"s. The improvement going to the HS8s was night and day!
Huge thanks. That's reply I was looking for .

Back
Top Bottom