Bug? 4x12 Recto Straight Ribbon mic sounds radically different on FM9 and FM3

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
The attached preset was created independently on the FM9 and FM3. Identical amp and cab settings on both. Identical system settings on both units. The FM3 preset sounds very thin and tinny. Cab modeling is engaged. When comparing the 4x12 Recto Straight Dynacab with the ribbon mic in each preset, the FM3 version is vastly different. Is this a bug in the FM3 version of this cab and mic?

• The same cab with the Dynamic 2 mic sounds the same in both presets.
  • I am on FM3 version 7.00 and FM9 version 5.01.
  • I have reloaded the Dynacab data on the FM3, no change.
  • I shot an IR of the Dynacab in the FM9 and that IR sounds the same on the FM3 as it does on the FM9

Here is a recording of the issue. FM9 first, FM3 second.

Attachments

• Mark.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I am not near my unit, so I can't check the preset. I have learned to check the speaker SIC in the amp block. Turn off auto, making a note of which SIC auto was using, and what the curve in the graph looks like. Pick something else, then go back. If the curve looks dramatically different, you might have the same issue I have. Unfortunately, it is not always repeatable. It only happens here and there. When it happens, the tone is thin and very disappointing. Manually selecting the same SIC seems to fix it for a while.

have learned to check the speaker SIC in the amp block. Turn off auto, making a note of which SIC auto was using, and what the curve in the graph looks like. Pick something else, then go back. If the curve looks dramatically different, you might have the same issue I have.
Tried this and the curves are the same before and after, as is the sound, so this isn't it.

I also re-loaded the Dynacabs. Also no change.

I believe this is an issue with this particular cab and mic.

Now I'm really curious about this because I'm currently using a ribbon on a recto straight for my modern metal tone...🤔

Big thanks to Karl! It's great to see the fast responses too Fractal!

Now I'm really curious about this because I'm currently using a ribbon on a recto straight for my modern metal tone...🤔
Now that I think through this, I remember back before I got my recent FM9 and had the FM3 that I really shied away from this cab and mic combo in preference for the Recto Slant and Ribbon because I didn't like the way the straight cab sounded so harsh. But then recently when spending more time with the FM9 for higher gain stuff (FM3 is more for acoustic/dobro/lap steel for me) I started using the straight cab with the ribbon and it sounded good. I chalked it up to user error until I tried porting that preset to the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom