4U Tolex Rack Case Build

Toopy14

Axe-Master
I had some left over black Tolex from when I recovered my Vox AC4, so I thought I would build a 4U Tolex rack case and maybe take my gear out on the patio and see if I can piss off the crows that wake me up at 6:00 a.m.! :speakerthree: :cool:

Here’s a couple pics of the Baltic Birch 3/4” plywood I cut. Fortunately I had some left over from a bookcase I built for my daughter a few years ago. It’s over $100 for a 4’x8’ sheet!

D2398C6E-9549-4F74-8D82-62C1BDC911C1.jpeg

340D348D-B1D1-440B-AD5E-BAE534F4A054.jpeg

Last edited:
Painted the inside with some flat black, where the Tolex won’t cover, before assembly. Then I used fluted dowels, biscuits, Gorilla wood glue and a few 2” nails from my nail gun…even kept them out of my finger…I‘ve only done it twice in 20+ years. Interesting thoughts go through your head in that nanosecond after you pull the trigger and realize where your finger is in relation to the trajectory of the nail! Lol. I’ll probably add some screws too…put those into my finger too!

052B3488-8E3C-4CF1-BBEE-481B7E0B929B.jpeg
5E4070AF-A40E-4948-B59C-2C217296C2B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Great build! Load that thing up! Darn noisy crows...
Thanks!

Yep, just need to add some feet, the rails, then the gear! If I can lift the AC30 outside, the crows won't stand a chance! Then again, the windows might not either.

Looks great. Was that PVA (wood glue) used to glue down the tolex? Always wanted to try that method. I rolled on contact cement on the last cabs that I built years ago and man did that stuff stink something awful. My shop smelled like a chemical refinery for a week.

Looks great. Was that PVA (wood glue) used to glue down the tolex? Always wanted to try that method. I rolled on contact cement on the last cabs that I built years ago and man did that stuff stink something awful. My shop smelled like a chemical refinery for a week.
I used 3M spray adhesive on a fender twin build. Lasted 20 years until I sold it.
Contact cement…did a lot of formica work and yeah…what a high

Thanks!

It's LePage water-based contact cement. It's low in VOC content, low in odour, solvent-free, and non-toxic. The Canadian government has really cracked down on solvent based glues, paints, etc. and I'm glad they did. A former colleague of mine used to use some kind solvent based finish on his plane and sadly, never wore a respirator. He died of Picks Disease as a direct result.

When I bought the Tolex to recover my AC4 (here's the thread I posted of my AC4 re-Tolex job I did three years ago and the Tolex hasn't budged, https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-vox-just-isn’t-a-vox.151615/), the supplier recommended it, so I gave it a try. Glad I did, it's so easy to work with and it's very forgiving and absolutely no smell and washes up with water. There's an application brush in the lid, which works well, but it's kind of small. I found that pouring it on and using a bigger paint brush to coat the surfaces, was more efficient for larger areas.

It works just like any other contact cement, coat both surfaces, wait 30-40 minutes (the cement on the wood will turn clear), bring the two surfaces together and roll out the Tolex. Once the cement completely cures, the Tolex is not easily coming off. The nice thing about it is that if you make a mistake, you still have time to reposition the material and you don't have to work fast...you have quite a bit of time. For example, I did the top, bottom and two sides of the face at the same time. If you take longer, reapply more cement and it will reactivate the cement already applied.

Also, if you get any glue on the good side of the Tolex or the paint, like I have on the inside, wait 'til it dries and just remove it, no solvent cleaner needed. You can even wipe it up with water before it cures.

I wouldn't use anything else!

1654369140674.png

https://www.lepage.ca/en/lepage-pro...s/contact-cement/low_odour_contactcement.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom