4CM Sucking My Tone!

If this amps loop is this bad (I’m not surprised) does anyone mod it to be useful? Has the manufacturer addressed this issue at all (other than saying yea our loop sucks, sorry)?
For the most part, the DC30 loop is fine, but it's a simple insertion point between the preamp and, I believe, the PI tube. I used it a lot when I was running my amp, but I had a buffer on the send, and on the output, of my pedalboard via my PBC10. That setup is true of most amps (probably) and is why Joe Morgan doesn't offer an FX loop on his amps unless someone asks for it.

The DC30 and AC20 sound better with the FX in front of the amp anyway, IMO.

If you want a truly buffered loop, you could get one of the Dumbleator type loops (my Welagen ODS has one). They are a single rack space, and would give you control over loop send and receive volume, with a tube buffered input and output.

The loop in a DC30 is terrible. It's passive with a very high output impedance. If you use anything more than a few feet of cable you're going to lose high end. A typical 10 ft. cable will yield a bandwidth of only around 6 kHz.
Sorry to bring up an old thread.
Cliff do you have any experience with the loop on a Diezel VH4? Is it any good?
According to the manual it's output impedance is 4.7 kΩ.
Is this "good"?.
I'm fighting a lot with noise in 4CM and can't figure out why.
Thanks

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
Cliff do you have any experience with the loop on a Diezel VH4? Is it any good?
According to the manual it's output impedance is 4.7 kΩ.
Is this "good"?.
I'm fighting a lot with noise in 4CM and can't figure out why.
Thanks
I use 4cm with my JVM 410 HJS. Yes, 4cm is noisy if you just slap some cables in place and let it rip.

Here is a description of what I had to do to tame the 4cm noise on my rig:

Post in thread 'Marshall JVM and Axe FXiii'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/marshall-jvm-and-axe-fxiii.192548/post-2395395

The take away is that the noise is not coming from a single source. There is not a single fix for the noise. Each adjustment I made improved the noise floor, but not by a very meaningful amount. It was the effect off all the adjustments together that brought the noise down to a very tolerable level.

This was a project. It took time and attention to detail to figure out and work through it all. Like I said in the thread I quoted, it was not about the destination for me. The journey was what drove me to do this. I am a software engineer by trade and I love geeking out and solving difficult, hard to crack problems. This fit that bill.

As a side note, I also ran an out to my FRFR speaker. Now I can have JVM presets, FRFR presets, or I can mix the components.

4CM with Humbusters on the outputs + maxed the Boost/Pad setting, and a Furman for power got rid of all noise for me.

4CM with Humbusters on the outputs + maxed the Boost/Pad setting, and a Furman for power got rid of all noise for me.
Yep, me too. 2 humbuster cables was all I needed. Works with an old Rivera M60 and S120, Bogner Ecstasy and Friedman JJ Jr. I never had to do all the things FrankenStrat did.

Back
Top Bottom