4CM snake

killerburst

In case anybody is looking for a custom snake, I had Redco make me one from their TGS-04 cable and their house brand connectors. Humbusters for the FX8 outs, straight TS from the FX loop send back to the FX8, TRS->TRS-RA for the chn switch on my Mk5:25. Color coded shrink on each end. Cost about $55 for an 18' snake. Sounds clean and quiet.

Here's a link to the custom cable I spec'd, for reference.

Last edited:
One thing I would do over is specify strain relief for each connector. They used heat shrink but I would have preferred a neoprene sleeve for strain relief under the heat shrink. I may take it apart down the road and reinforce each connector for reliability and peace of mind.

Are you able to upload a photo of the cable?

Also, do I just click that link, and then click add to cart?

Thanks

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If you click the link you can add the cable I spec'd to cart. Or you could use that as a starting point to spec out a cable that best meets your own needs.

No problem. The mini mark is a great amp. Thinking about another 25 watter to do a stereo rig. Maybe a ROV 25. Use either preamp section and both power sections for a 5CM stereo rig.

No problem. The mini mark is a great amp. Thinking about another 25 watter to do a stereo rig. Maybe a ROV 25. Use either preamp section and both power sections for a 5CM stereo rig.

That's funny, I was just thinking about a stereo "mini" setup. I have a Bogner Atma as well as the Mark 5:25. The Atma sounds amazing and weighs a little less. The Atma is the ecstasy's little brother, although I think it sounds just as good -and it only weighs 14 pounds.

I see you spec'd a TS to TS cable for the second cable, the FX8's IN (POST) connection. Why would you not use TRS to TS (Humbuster) wiring for that one too?

The FX8 manual is not clear on this. It says "Humbuster cables are recommended at FX8 Outputs" with the text box pointing to the OUT (POST) connection. Does that mean that a Humbuster cable is not recommended for IN (POST)? I was assuming that you would want a Humbuster cable there too.

No. Humbusters are useful for the FX8 outputs only. The ring connector would have no effect on the POST input unless the amp send was also balanced.

Ok, thanks for the info and thanks for posting this. I'm going to order one similar to yours except I don't need a right-angle connector for the amp side of the channel switching relay.

Any issues with each cable being such a small gauge of wire compared to a standard guitar cable? Any signal degradation that you notice?

No. TGS-04 specs out better than Mogami 2931, in terms of capacitance and resistance. This is studio snake cable designed for low noise and coloration. If anything I would like a heavier gauge for mechanical strength, but no issues at all with moving electrons.

Man,

This looks good. I wish I'd went this route B4 $helling out major dinero for a self-fashioned George L's snake I made. Of course, I'll be running my rig stereo (two amps); so I'll be doing the 7CM (6+1 inst. input?)... and it won't be "humbuster" as recommended. Keeping my fingers crossed for when I get'er all hooked up.:roll.

Good post though Killerburst!

I like this idea, however I want 2 TRS for the mark V 3-channel amp. I try to change to a 5 channel snake and the cable mfg you selected was not available. Any ideas?

thanks

I like this idea, however I want 2 TRS for the mark V 3-channel amp. I try to change to a 5 channel snake and the cable mfg you selected was not available. Any ideas?

thanks

They don't make snake cable in single pair increments. The next size up is an 8 pair. You could add a single balanced line cable and use braided shield for the whole assembly. Or use MIDI with an RJM Gizmo to control your amp.

Back
Top Bottom