4CM - big volume jump going from dirty to clean channel???

flash6969

Inspired
Hey all

I use 4CM with several heads (Bogners, Soldano, Friedman) and the issue is the same with all. I have the same template for each set of amps & have tested switching the amps without the Axe, so I'm convinced the issue is the Axe. Whilst there is a known issue/delay with using my RJM mini amp gizmo along with the Axe/MFC, this is not the issue as I've tested with only the RJM unit & the issue does not appear then.

If I go from clean to dirty channels the switching is OK. Everything switches normally (switching takes about 0.5 seconds due to the midi delay associated with using RJM/Axe/MFC). However, when i switch from dirty to clean there is a massive jump in volume (it remains dirty for about 0.3 seconds) & then switches to the clean channel. I feel it might be associated with the effects Im using, but when i bypass all the blocks off the same issue still occurs

I've included pics of the clean setup & dirty setup. Hope you can help.

flash1.jpg

flash2.jpg

Really? Wow, thanks for the heads up. I understand the issue but not sure why it would only affect dirty-clean, not when I switch clean-dirty?

Anyway, I'll test more tonight & let you know what I find.

Thanks

So this is what I've discovered:
The spillover issue is resolved IF you copy & paste your time based blocks to other presets. So, Stereo Analog Delay on preset #1 has a mix of 10%, then the exact same details must be used on preset #2, preset #3 etc.

The problem comes up again however if you have a different chain of effects. So, preset #1 has drive, eq, stereo analog delay; preset #2 has drive, EQ, flanger, stereo analog delay then the Axe memory has to clear itself in preparation for the new set of EFX. Hence the volume change.

Interested to hear if any other 4CM users have the same issue??

it's not just 4CM. that's how it works in general. i even have a similar issue with Scenes. i set up someone's preset recently where we used 2 separate Delay blocks, instead of switching X to Y in one block.

if the axe knows to play the delayed sound in D1, then if you change the D1 block from X to Y or change presets with different D1 settings, the same delayed source will play, but the delay effect will change accordingly - could be louder, softer, etc.

you just have to tweak settings to find the best way, or use the Mute FX In/Out options to just cut off the delay when switching so there is no spillover.

i'd love to have proper spillover, but it just doesn't work without a dedicated processor for spillover, so i just turn it off or avoid it. even then, i have a reverb spillover problem i can't seem to solve, but it's manageable.

Thanks for the tips everyone - unfortunately nothing has resolved the issue & probably never will! As Cliff has mentioned - "This can happen if you rapidly switch between presets many times. The unit requires a small amount of time between preset changes to clear unused buffer space. This is done as a background task."

I think I'm gonna have to re-program my presets so that every single preset has the same set of effects blocks! Slightly annoying :cry:cry

Back
Top Bottom