4CM again - lot of hiss and unity gain question

Are you sure you described those connections correctly? Out 1 & Out 2 are opposite from the correct 4CM. Your listed connections would just go through the first group of blocks, to Output 2 via FX Loop, to your amp's FX return.

Also state what your Out 1 & Out 2 boost/pad values are. This (the Out 1 value to be exact, but it's good to have complete info) may or may not be the cause of Out 1 clipping with lower volume than you'd otherwise have.

Oops got those the wrong way round in my description, will alter that now! They are connected as such, out 1 to fx return, out 2 to amp input.

My boost/pad for both is 12db, I heard this was a good way to reduce hiss?

My boost/pad for both is 12db, I heard this was a good way to reduce hiss?

The boost/pad should only be set as high as they can go without causing output clipping. In 4CM the ideal setting will usually be more important for Out 2 than Out 1.

Setting Out 1 B/P to 12dB is pointless if you need to lower the Out 1 level (via global EQ I'm assuming) by 5 dB. That just gives you 5 dB less actual level with knob at 100%. Try setting boost/pad to 6 dB instead and bring the EQ gain back to 0 dB.

The boost/pad should only be set as high as they can go without causing output clipping. In 4CM the ideal setting will usually be more important for Out 2 than Out 1.

Setting Out 1 B/P to 12dB is pointless if you need to lower the Out 1 level (via global EQ I'm assuming) by 5 dB. That just gives you 5 dB less actual level with knob at 100%. Try setting boost/pad to 6 dB instead and bring the EQ gain back to 0 dB.

Ah! Cool, I just set the boost pad back to 0 actually, and then brought the Out 1 level back to where it should be - volume issue is completely rectified - many thanks!! Sounds like the tone is the same too - although it feels like there is a touch more 'bite' with the axe in 4cm. The gain is the same though, unlike before where it sounded as if I'd rolled the guitar volume off a little.

Thanks for the help :)

Axe In 2 -- Humbuster cable -- Amp Fx Send

The Axe II's 1/4" Inputs are balanced TRS inputs. Use balanced TRS cables from devices that have balanced outputs. Use regular mono instrument cables from all other devices. Humbuster cables will add no benefit here.

The Axe II's 1/4" Outputs are unbalanced outputs with Humbuster support. Use either regular mono instrument cables or humbuster cables to help reduce hum. Also, If using humbuster cables, make sure the TRS end is connected to the Axe II and the TS end is connected to the other device. If you plug in it the other way, no noise rejection will happen. The Axe's XLR outputs are balanced if you need a true balanced output.

Balanced TRS cables are only beneficial when connecting a balanced output to a balanced input. If either the input or the output connected is unbalanced, balanced cables will add no benefit.

The Axe II's 1/4" Inputs are balanced TRS inputs. Use balanced TRS cables from devices that have balanced outputs. Use regular mono instrument cables from all other devices. Humbuster cables will add no benefit here.

The Axe II's 1/4" Outputs are unbalanced outputs with Humbuster support. Use either regular mono instrument cables or humbuster cables to help reduce hum. Also, If using humbuster cables, make sure the TRS end is connected to the Axe II and the TS end is connected to the other device. If you plug in it the other way, no noise rejection will happen. The Axe's XLR outputs are balanced if you need a true balanced output.

Balanced TRS cables are only beneficial when connecting a balanced output to a balanced input. If either the input or the output connected is unbalanced, balanced cables will add no benefit.

Oh I see - I coulda sworn I'd read somewhere about the hum buster going to input 2, but what you just said makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the help man! :)

This was the video I used as well as the manual and some posts on the forum (this video was such a great help to me, not sure if Flash Grover is a member here, but BIG shout out to him for this!) He's got a hum buster going to input 2, but I'm thinking now (after re-watching) maybe all his cables are hum busters for the sake of it. So the ones that are doing the leg work are the ones connected to output 1 and 2 and the one that is in input 2 isn't really doing anything special?

I'll switch 'em round in my rig and remove the hum eliminator, see if I can get away without it :) Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom