48 hrs with the axe, and I am loosing my patience

[This post is meant as simple reflection and observation - an editorial, if you will. Reader discretion is advised ;) ]

It's so funny to read Axe-II users speak the same way about the II in comparison to the Ultra the way they used to talk about the Ultra in comparison to EVERYTHING ELSE.

When the Ultra was at its height users all over the web defended it to the death insisting that not only was nothing better (which was arguably a true statement, at the time) but that it was tone heaven - that it could lay down whatever you wanted as long as you put the effort into getting there with it (obviously not true, as factually solidified by the existence of the AXE-II)

I mention this because one of the biggest defenses for the AXE was that it could get you that sound - you know, THAT sound. Plug away at it and THAT sound was yours. What this, now provably false claim (again, due to the existence of the AXE-II) meant was that AXE users, or more specifically the die-hard defenders, set themselves up for a credibility-fall, if you will. You can't have something that supposedly gives you everything and then bring out a "better" version of it. What's to be better? Just read what people in this very thread are saying; that the AXE-II is "worlds better" than the ULTRA - a "game changer" (whatever that means... how is it changing the game when it's an improved version of something that already exists... but, that's another tangent all together).

You can also read dozens of [old] threads of new ULTRA users who are kinda' stumped as to why their $2000+ unit sounds kinda' crappy (I made a thread like that when I got my ULTRA) out of the box (this is SOOO true. The AXE-I simply does not sound good at default. It sounds great with tons of tuning of course, as anyone here will tell you).

The point is: Now we know. Now we know that the ULTRA really wasn't "all that". It really did need to get better.

Don't get me wrong. I really like my ULTRA, I've had it for years, it 100 percent ended my purchasing of guitar gear (I haven't purchased a single guitar related piece of gear, other than a corresponding pedal board, since buying the ULTRA), I get sounds from it that make it worth the price I payed, and I have less than zero intention of ever buying an AXE-II. I'm just reflecting back on how so many people acted long before the AXE-II was a twinkle in Fractal Audio's eye, and how they act now that everything they said before is largely nullified by the very own, new, attitudes.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled program...

I agree, to a point - that point being that I REALLY did not know what I was missing until it got better. I.e. my Ultra sounded 'perfect' until I heard the II, and the two was it, complete, done, until I heard FW 10.0. Such is life. As an ancillary comment to yours: there have been several times when Cliff has said an amp was 'perfect', 'indistinguishable' etc - scopes out the same etc. - only to then hear him say it's 'better' in the next FW. After awhile, I really started to find that funny. Bottom line, though: there's always room for improvement and (lucky for us!) Cliff is intent on going there, time after time.

People feel the need to validate an expensive purchase. This is nothing new.

When V10 is released there will be folks who love it & hate it. When V10 comes out for the Axe III in the future, some will say the Axe has finally reached tonal nirvana & some will still hear "something fake in the high end".

Digital copying of an organic "sound" source is a journey not a destination........

I mean litterally reboot the unit: reset the system parameters, turn it off and then on. Otherwise you will be keeping the old system parameters.

Hi Gira... Just a note that I believe this is incorrect. It is only after receiving a system dump that a unit need to be rebooted.
RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS is instantaneous.

People are at different levels with their comfort of such units. I found the Ultra to be very intuitive and figured 98% of what I've needed without the manual. I hilariously got stuck initially on how to select presets, but figured out how to route effects, go figure!

That said, I though the Ultra was way better out of the box than the 11R hands down. But I got a guy called "fremen"s presets and IR's and the Ultra went to stratospheric WOW compared to the Ultra.

I have a Kemper, but if I never heard of the Kemper, the Ultra would have been the BOMB these past years if I had had it. So don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it's an awesome unit. Sure there are more realistic amp tones units available. But you can fool many a people with the Ultra and well set up presets and great IR's.

I think the Ultra will be in the Digital Amp Emulation Hall of Fame for sure, so enjoy it.

That said, I wouldn't have sold my amps for it like I have my Kemper, or others have said they did with their FX II, but that doesn't mean the Ultra isn't the bomb. It is. As an effects unit, it's right up there as an industry leader perhaps second to one. As an amp tone unit, perhaps third in the market.

Ultimately it's whether you think it works for you. I know it works for me.

That said, I though the Ultra was way better out of the box than the 11R hands down. But I got a guy called "fremen"s presets and IR's and the Ultra went to stratospheric WOW compared to the Ultra.

Could you clarify this sentence - you used "Ultra" twice for what seemed like two different things: "...the Ultra went to stratospheric WOW compared to the Ultra." Did you mean the 11R went to stratospheric WOW after you installed the presets?

People feel the need to validate an expensive purchase. This is nothing new.

When V10 is released there will be folks who love it & hate it. When V10 comes out for the Axe III in the future, some will say the Axe has finally reached tonal nirvana & some will still hear "something fake in the high end".

Digital copying of an organic "sound" source is a journey not a destination........

Very, very well said. Honestly, in the end who gives a shit. Its just another flavor, dont like it, dont by it. I thinks its thes cats tits.

People are at different levels with their comfort of such units. I found the Ultra to be very intuitive and figured 98% of what I've needed without the manual. I hilariously got stuck initially on how to select presets, but figured out how to route effects, go figure!

I have a Kemper, but if I never heard of the Kemper, the Ultra would have been the BOMB these past years if I had had it. So don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it's an awesome unit. Sure there are more realistic amp tones units available. But you can fool many a people with the Ultra and well set up presets and great IR's.

I think the Ultra will be in the Digital Amp Emulation Hall of Fame for sure, so enjoy it.

That said, I wouldn't have sold my amps for it like I have my Kemper, or others have said they did with their FX II, but that doesn't mean the Ultra isn't the bomb. It is. As an effects unit, it's right up there as an industry leader perhaps second to one. As an amp tone unit, perhaps third in the market.

Ultimately it's whether you think it works for you. I know it works for me.

Interesting thread.

I feel compelled to add some balance to the above statement however. I went from Kemper to Ultra and have been much happier with the results I've been getting. I understand that there are benefits to having a supported product but, for me, that's where it ends. One a tone level, the Ultra has the measure of the Kemper, on an effects level the Ultra wins outright.

So whilst some are wholly entitled to describe the Ultra as being in the top three modellers, I would imagine there would be just as many that would have it in their top two.

Hmm, maybe I'm just way tooooo easy to satisfy. But when I hooked up my standard the first time (to mixer, listening to with in-ears pluged into phones out) I didn't get past Patch No. 1 Studio Lead (display offset on) for quite a while. Just because I could do almost anything just with this first preset and the guitar volume.

To me it seems that most people having those problems in finding a satisfying tone are the ones using the Axe into a computer. Wrong impression?

Back
Top Bottom