44 Magnum + 2x12 cab sounds harsh - help!

^ Seriously.

Although I'm afraid he's needing to refresh axe-edit parameters or something, and simply resetting the amp block with axe-edit is causing some of those settings to be like that? I mean in the original post he mentions it sounds thin, and the preset has depth all the way down almost, so I think some of it is user error as well, which is why I just attached the preset where everything should be set normally with his original drive and BMT, and it sounded fantastic. If using that patch doesn't sound good then I'm willing to start blaming the cab itself.
AX8 Edit should detect if the block definitions are out of date and refresh them once you connect the hardware. I don't know what's going on with that preset. He says new patches made from scratch sound bad too, but maybe he's loading an existing amp block that he previously saved in the block library in the AX8 Edit. All of the parameters he's tweaked are what's making it sound harsh and ratty.

Are your I/O settings right? Your input pad needs yo be set to where your just touching red when strumming hard or palm muting hard. Your output needs to be set to match the receiveing device, more than likely -10db for those amps. Latest firmware installed? Try a factory reset, and loading the latest factory presets.

Start over with a blank preset, turn down the input gate threshold to zero, and build a new rig from scratch. Start with amp block only if using a guitar cab. Start with an amp you know and are familiar in real life, so you know what to listen for that needs to be tweaked for your setup. Then read the FAQs and articles at the wiki to learn how to adress what your rig needs in the signal.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

Much appreciated, all.

I'm starting over from scratch to be sure - I reloaded the firmware this morning, and I'll run by GC tomorrow to test out multiple cabs and configurations. I'm also going to try some new cables - it has to be something small I'm missing.

I play my AX8>Magnum44(switch on Normal)>Marshall 4x12, cab sims bypassed. At very low (apartment) levels it sounds great! Sorry i'm not much help as i haven't really played this set up at loud gig or rehearsal volumes or with a real drummer yet! When i finally do, i'll report but until then i hope you figure it out and it works out for you.

HA! I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

Was reconnecting everything - was running a dry track via the input, and plugged the 1/4 into INPUT 1 L - as I was plugging it in, it sounded AMAZING. So much more body, richness - it actually sounded like a true amp should sound. I left the 1/4 jack plugged 3/4 in, and let the track play through for a while. Perfect.

Plugged the 1/4 all the way in, and there is was - thin, harsh, just cardboard crap tone. Not to mention a HUGE loss in volume. I can replicate the same behavior on Output 1 R as well.

I think I have a defective unit. Going to reach out to Fractal to see what they can do.

Was reconnecting everything - was running a dry track via the input, and plugged the 1/4 into INPUT 1 L - as I was plugging it in, it sounded AMAZING. So much more body, richness - it actually sounded like a true amp should sound. I left the 1/4 jack plugged 3/4 in, and let the track play through for a while. Perfect.

Plugged the 1/4 all the way in, and there is was - thin, harsh, just cardboard crap tone. Not to mention a HUGE loss in volume. I can replicate the same behavior on Output 1 R as well.

I think I have a defective unit. Going to reach out to Fractal to see what they can do.
You can replicate it on two different jacks? It seems unlikely that your AX8 has two defective jacks, have you tried other cables?

Sounds like you don't have your I/O setup right, or you are using wierd cables. Just to be sure, you are pluggin your guitar into the instrument input correct? The one all that says "intrument in"?

And that cable is the one that sounded right halfway out?

Last edited:
Sounded from the description that it might be going in via the FX input right and/or left. Was I reading that right?

Sounded from the description that it might be going in via the FX input right and/or left. Was I reading that right?
No, going to poweramp LINE IN via Output 1.

I'm done messing with this. I've tried an FX block to test that option, it's the same thing. I even reset all system parameters, and checked a brand new, fully reset amp-only patch for level clipping. It just sounds terrible.

So close to selling the whole thing and going back to amps. I didn't have this headache with my AXE FX II.

Definitely sounds like, you have a phase issue. Please describe exactly, west you are doing. What is the dry track, where do you connect it, etc.

Definitely sounds like, you have a phase issue. Please describe exactly, west you are doing. What is the dry track, where do you connect it, etc.

The thought occurred to me at first as well, but I can't see how any phase issue would be incurred. He could check the output page settings to check if L and R are summing, or if it's sending 2 separate mono signals out. Even then it would require his patch to be causing the phase issue, and there just isn't anything in his patch complicated enough to cause that.

Best bet I'd say is to either get a hold of different cables to swap in for testing, and contact FAS support. Even if it is still something simple in the setup that's wrong, someone at fractal support would be a great help in determining that I think.

I think, it is somehow related to cables. FAS support are great. They can definitely help. But I would definitely start by going thru the cables.

Have you tried using the exact same set up, just plugging the output into another device? I.e. Get the bad sound through the Magnum, then move the ax8 output to a different Poweramp and see if it's the same.

I suspect cable. I had a similar thing where I was getting lower than usual volume and it was really thin... Bumped the output cable on accident and voila, good tone again (and a bit of a shock with the volume bump). Replaced the cable and haven't had an issue since.

I run a .44 as well, that cable is the only issue I've had with it. You're sure you're not using TRS cables by mistake? You're not clipping the input or the output, things like that?

It was plug and play for me so I'm surprised you're having such an issue. If the outputs work with other setups then I doubt it's a physical defect with the unit.... Gotta be something going on that can be fixed.

Testing a Helix now - the Helix sounds fine. Nothing special, just running amp sims with cab sims disabled.

I've tried all new cables as well - no improvement.

I've got a ticket in with Fractal, and the unit's under warranty.

We think we've narrowed it down - there's a freq somewhere in the 8k-16k range that's pushing through EXTRA hot. Cutting 16k via GEQ INSTANTLY took care of it.

Will keep pursuing this avenue.

Back
Top Bottom