4 Cable Method

DaveP

Inspired
Thought I would share just how flexible this method is. I love it.
I am currently running the 4CM using a Bogner XTC and it works great. I have a simple MIDIBUDDY controller nothing special.
The first 4 patches on the axefx are set up inserting the FXL block after the compressor, phaser, drive block (whatever you choose) then the FXL block followed by chorus, delay reverb etc... this gives me what I need in terms of using the Bogner's clean crunch and high gain channels.
The next 5 presets are using just the Bogner' power section. Start the patch with a RTN block followed my the amp, delay, rev etc.. By inserting the RTN in the beginning it sends the output directy to the return of the Bogner bypassing the preamp section.
I have each preset using a different amp model, Mark IIc+. MKIV, Brown, Dr Z and so on. You adjust the output using the level control in the amp block. You then use the output 1 to adjust the volume using the amp sims. you can easily set the levels to match the preamp of the head.
In this set up the power sim and cab sims are off. don't need them. Running into a 2x12 oversized cab loaded with V30's in my case.
It's a great way to use the amp you have and use all the internal amps in the AxeFX.

Hi Dave,

just about to try this method.
How do I route my cables?

Cheers,

Quint

Axe FX Ultra. Elmwood Modena 60/Genz Benz 2 x 12 V30's

Guitar into Axe FX

Axe FX Output 2 -> Input of Amp
Amp Send -> Axe FX Input 2
Axe FX Output 1 -> Amp Return

There you go.

Why the Feedback RTN block?
As long as the FXL block isn't used, the Bogner's preamp is always bypassed isn't it?

Yeah, the RTN block would just act like a shunt or vol. block in that example. Whatever reaches the far right of the layout goes from Out 1 to the power amp section; placing or omitting the FXL block is what determines whether or not the external preamp is used.

Back
Top Bottom