Linkccr23

I had a fm3 a while back and I was trying to use it with a tube amp 4 cable method. Really only for effects through the loop but the problem I am having is it colors the sound quite a bit similar to a chorus or a compressor on at all times turned down but still there. I tried everything to get rid of it. I have a good bit of experience with the fractal stuff and I am really curious if they addressed this problem in the FM9 Turbo??

It’s a deal breaker for me because I am a tube amp guy all the way and I would absolutely love to use this unit for the amazing effects and the overall ease of setup but it has to be clean and I notice it effects the core tone of the amp even when all the effects are bypassed quite a bit!! Please help I would really love to buy one and it would make my life so much easier if they could fix this issue??

Any thoughts??

Does your amp have a series or parallel effects loop? Parallel loops typically have a mix control on the amp. You'll get comb filtering effects with a parallel effects loop due to the conversion and processing latency of a digital processor causing the wet signal to slightly lag behind the dry.

I had a fm3 a while back and I was trying to use it with a tube amp 4 cable method. Really only for effects through the loop but the problem I am having is it colors the sound quite a bit similar to a chorus or a compressor on at all times turned down but still there. I tried everything to get rid of it. I have a good bit of experience with the fractal stuff and I am really curious if they addressed this problem in the FM9 Turbo??

It’s a deal breaker for me because I am a tube amp guy all the way and I would absolutely love to use this unit for the amazing effects and the overall ease of setup but it has to be clean and I notice it effects the core tone of the amp even when all the effects are bypassed quite a bit!! Please help I would really love to buy one and it would make my life so much easier if they could fix this issue??

Any thoughts??
Did you ever tried the FX8? It is just perfect for what you want to do...

Does your amp have a series or parallel effects loop? Parallel loops typically have a mix control on the amp. You'll get comb filtering effects with a parallel effects loop due to the conversion and processing latency of a digital processor causing the wet signal to slightly lag behind the dry.
I have a series effects loop but thank you so much for your help!

Are you saying you contacted Fractal about this and they confirmed there’s a problem?
They just stated it’s not really it’s primary purpose and that they would look into it. That’s why I am curious about the new model?? FM9?

i run Ax3 in 4cm with 0 coloration to the amp - surprised if FM3/9 are not the same.
I wish it was the same I would definitely still own it if that was the case. But I am hoping they fixed what I am talking about in the new FM9 turbo

Cliff has said here that the FM9 has similar low noise circuitry to the FX8 and AXE III, that helps them sound better in 4CM, whereas the FM3 does not. You can search the original FM9 thread for “4cm” and find it.

If you are getting a chorus like comb filtering sound with all of the effects bypassed, I'd bet you have parallel loop or something is wrong with your signal routing. What amp are you using?

I wish it was the same I would definitely still own it if that was the case. But I am hoping they fixed what I am talking about in the new FM9 turbo

What amp are you using, and how were you connecting it?

There is no standard for FX loops for level, impedance, balanced vs unbalanced, etc. - so how any gear will interface with an amp using 4cm depends entirely on the particular amp, how you connect it (sometimes level shifters are warranted), and how you are setting the amp and the Fractal device (for example, how hot the levels are coming from the FX send …).

Cliff has said here that the FM9 has similar low noise circuitry to the FX8 and AXE III, that helps them sound better in 4CM, whereas the FM3 does not. You can search the original FM9 thread for “4cm” and find it.
That’s what I was hoping to hear thank you so much!!

They just stated it’s not really it’s primary purpose and that they would look into it. That’s why I am curious about the new model?? FM9?
I had the FX8 before the FM9. The FM9 wins in almost all areas obviously, but if you really just want tranparency, a couple of good fx and drives and ideal implementation for 4CM, I do think the FX8 is a better choice.

Any thoughts??
What amps are you using?

Two different heads victory super kraken and cornford Mk50II
Hmm … that manual for the VX100 says that the FX send is “a lower impedance version of the signal that appears at the INPUT”. If that’s true then I could see why it didn’t work well … typically an FX send is the signal from the output of the preamp section, not the input.

Back
Top Bottom