4 Cable Method + Axe FX as Audio Interface

cyberfunk

Hi Guys,

I still relatively new to AXE FX, I think its absolutely amazing and have only experimented with about 1% of its capabilities and i am trying to crack 2% this weekend by using the 4cm with an old amp of mine.

My Gear:

- Mac w/ Logic Pro X
- Axe FX II (connected via USB)
- Atomic CLR Wedges (XLR from out1(L/R))
- Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

The Vision:

- I have a AXE FX connected via USB directly to my MAC for recording with Logic Pro
- I like to record backing tracks and play over them to practice or jam with friends using rocksmith on the PC etc...
- I would like to use the 4CM to leverage pre/post effects with my old school hot rod deluxe to practice over the backing tracks and record my amps natural tone via USB with Logic Pro X

The Problem:

- I can't figure out how to route the signal coming through the audio interface from my mac (backing tracks, recordings, locksmith etc...) through Out1 to the Atomic Wedges so I can play over it with my amps natural sound... it seems to keep coming back through my Hot Rod Deluxe when I use the 4CM.... I assume this has something to do with the fact that I am using the out1 unbalanced output to return to my amp's FX Loop (as per the manual), but this seems to override the output going through the balanced XLR output on out1 as nothing is coming through the Atomic Wedges.
- I also would like to avoid duplicating my amp's sound through the Atomic Wedges also, just would like backing tracks etc... coming through the wedges.

If anyone could advise a resolution to this issue, you will make my weekend!!

Many thanks in advance for your patients and support!

Cyber

Out 1 is Out 1. anything coming from Out 1 XLR will come out of Out 1 1/4" and vice versa.

what shouldn't be happening is using 1/4" output cancels XLR outputs. that doesn't make sense.

the goal of the 4CM is for the real guitar amp/cab be the final output, you'll hear all your complete sounds from your hot rod. if you were to record the 4cm using USB, you'll hear only the preamp section of the hot rod - this may not be a pleasant sound, you'd need a cab block/sim positioned in the right place in the axe layout.

the best way to record the benefit of the 4CM is to put mic your hot rod speaker like you would with a normal real amp. again, the 4CM is a way to insert pre and post effects in the "correct" places while your amp/speaker continues to be the main source of sound.

I can't figure out how to route the signal coming through the audio interface from my mac (backing tracks, recordings, locksmith etc...) through Out1 to the Atomic Wedges so I can play over it with my amps natural sound... it seems to keep coming back through my Hot Rod Deluxe when I use the 4CM....

as we both mentioned before, yes, if your hot rod is connected via Out 1, a requirement of the 4CM, you'll hear the computer sounds through it as well.

I assume this has something to do with the fact that I am using the out1 unbalanced output to return to my amp's FX Loop (as per the manual), but this seems to override the output going through the balanced XLR output on out1 as nothing is coming through the Atomic Wedges.

again this is not normal behavior. using the 1/4" does not affect the XLR in any way for Out 1. you're saying that if you just use the XLR to the Atomic, then while sound is going, you plug a 1/4" cable into Out 1, the XLR/Atomic sound suddenly stops? can you please confirm this test?

I also would like to avoid duplicating my amp's sound through the Atomic Wedges also, just would like backing tracks etc... coming through the wedges.

i think this is just a limitation from using the 4cm. not because of a shortcoming of the axe or anything. but simply because you are using all the outputs and inputs available by using the 4cm. so there are no outputs left for discreet sounds like computer vs guitar.

so basically, the 4CM "uses up" all the ins/outs of the axe (and pretty much any other unit). if you want to use the 4CM, you sacrifice other options.

an alternative you could try is using Out 1 for your Atomic and Out 2 to the power amp return on your hot rod - put the fx loop block at the end of your chain, if you can have it NOT be in the last column, then it will not send any signal to Out 1, basically nothing connected to that far right Output Block. if you have to have the fx loop block in the last column, go to the Mix page and turn the Level all the way down to -80 dB. now you should be getting the guitar sounds only to your hot rod, and all computer sounds to out 1 - remember to use both Volume Knobs on the front panel to get the right amount of volume.

of course, this does not utilize your hot rod's preamp, where most of the tone comes from, and basically only uses the hot rod as a powered speaker.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly - its greatly appreciated.

(on a side note - your video's have bee instrumental in getting me up and running with the Axe FC, MFC 101 and mission engineering pedals so thank you again for that also).

Thank you for confirming its an I/O limitation of the Axe, I wasn't sure if there was some funky mixing I could do that was beyond my skill level at the moment, but now I can just enjoy what I have setup (which does sound quite awesome!) and maybe do an IR capture of my amp at a later stage as suggested in other threads.

In regards to the issue with the 1/4" cancelling the signal from the XLR's on Out 1, I tested the reverse of your proposed test yesterday, where I had the 4CM configured, unplugged the 1/4" cable from Out 1 to my amp, the result sounded to me (untrained ear), like I was hearing a pre-amplified signal coming out of the Atomic CLR's... when I plugged back in, again the signal seemed to return to my hot rod deluxe.

Ill test again today with your suggestion and experiment with your suggested alternative (thank you), but that's probably a misconfiguration on my part as I am still learning.

Many thanks for your support in this thread and out on the digital channels.

Cyber

Back
Top Bottom