3rd party cab packs for studio monitors in a bedroom.

bossredman

Inspired
Was just wondering if purchasing 3rd party cab packs would be money wasted for use in a bedroom through studio monitors played a lowish volume?

Tbh never really under stood( probably through ignorance ) the need for purchasing additional IRs.

And are they just fir loud volumes played through gig type gear.

If I wont be wasting my money...
Any suggestions for a pack that would cover a wide range of bases?
Judt a home player with no particular style .

Thanks

The cab IRs have a huge impact on sound. But they are a rabbit hole where you can spend more time auditioning and tweaking than playing. You could get some great sounds by purchasing but you may already have something similar in the box. Why not try messing around with the different IRs you have in there already? You will see how influential they are and get an idea if it's something you want to spend all that time auditioning, tweaking and comparing. 3rd-party preset packs are easier, but those are usually set for gig volume and that makes a difference.

Volume doesn't really matter for the IR

I use ML Soundlabs, Ownhammer, and Valhallas. They are great with my FRFR setup. I play a lot of high gain and there are good factory ones but I find I use the 3rd party ones more. The thing with the 3rd party ones is there are so many I don't end up using and it took a long time to pick the ones I like most for the different tones I use. I am a bit of a tweaker though and I am always trying out new amps.

IR's are a very deep well to jump in to. 3rd party IR's are certainly the option for folks who have very clear ideas of what they need from a sound. I will certainly second if you don't have a specific sound in your head that you need to create play around with the stock IR's and see if they give you every thing you need.

There are also plenty of free IR's available through the forum and AxeChange.

I am a lazy axe fx user. I had no trouble buying presets/ preset packs just to get what I want and only had to do some small adjustments to get where I want to be. Being lazy doesn't mean I don't know precisely what I want. Now I recently bought the black Saturday offer from ownhammer. I really must admit that when I exchange factory presets with these ownhammer ir's, my sound is better. Varying from "how can I ever have been content with my previous sound" to "I hear only a tiny difference when I a/b it, but it definetly is better. (depth, nuance,..)
My suggestion would be to just try a pack. Worst case scenario is you don't use it. just check what kind of speakers you use a lot in your favourite presets and go for a good pack of that type of speaker.

Up to you.

Kind regards, Harm

Back
Top Bottom