AFIII 360º Live recording with 2 guitars into AXFX3 simultaneously

Micky Vega

Hi everyone! I don't post here too often (I read a lot though), but I was so satisfied with how Axe Fx III worked in this application that I wanted to share the setup with you all.

This is my band, we wanted to record a few songs in the studio while shooting a 360º video, but all at once instead of track by track. You can see the AxeFx III at all times at one side of the room.

So, the signal was like this:

Guitar 1 into Input, Guitar 2 into Input 2 L (using an active DI box, I think It was a Klark Technik)
After that, I made two totally different signal paths, using AMP1/CAB1 and AMP2/CAB2 for each performer. I panned them hard, so I could get an isolated signal in each L and R channel.

After CABs, the signal goes to OUT 1 with no reverb and no delay, because that is the signal I gave to the sound guy at the studio. But I made a second pair of signals with delay and reverb that goes to Out 3, that was our monitoring signal, that wasn't being recorded.

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-27 a las 15.21.59.png

I also had one click track and a pre-recorded bass track in my Macbook (we don't have a bassist right now) being played through both Output 2 (I configured my axfx3 to play the USB stream from my computer through Output 2 instead of OUT 1 which is the default setting), and Output 4 at the same time.

The reason for this is that one pair was for our sound guy, and the other pair was for our own monitoring. Again, signals were panned hard to get isolated signals of each. Note that I was able to do this thanks to In USB block, which allowed me to get a second USB stream from my computer.

Signals for the sound engineer went into the control room, while monitoring signals were connected to a 1U rack mixer I bought recently for less than 100 euros, the Samson SM10. It is not able to do a lot of different monitor mixes, but you can do about 3 using the main mix, the monitor mix and the FX send mix.

There was also a backup local recording in my own computer: the processed signal coming from OUT 1 and also DI Signals of my bandmate's guitar and mine.

These monitoring mixes were connected into our ine-ear wireless systems so we could move freely. Drummer was using a small mixing board since he didn't need a wireless system.

Scenes were changed by MIDI messages from the computer, in sync with the song. Yes I had gaps when changing sounds, so I had to fix later doing reamp of those small fragments and doing crossfades manually. But It wasn't really a problem. Still, next time I will try to create presets that don't involve AMP channel changes, but DIST pedals on/off instead.

Hope you guys like it! And I would love to know how I could have improved this setup!

Back
Top Bottom