3 years since I got my axe-fx II. maintenance?

Cobrango

Power User
Hi,

I wanted to celebrate the day I've had my axe-fx for 3 years but looking at the calender, I can't :(

I got my axe-fx on the 29th of february 2012, but there is no 29th of february 2015 :'( only 28th. and the 1.

anyways, I'm wondering about maintenance. I've got the mark 1 or "G2 modeling technology" and not the mark II and after 3 years, is there anything I should do to

prevent something from happening to it? I mean things like cleaning the fan so that the fan does not get full of dust and suddenly stop working and then it gets too

warm and then something else fails? :p I think the only "problem" I've ever had was one time I flicked the switch and the screen was looking wierd so I did it again (waited those 5 important seconds) and turned it back on again and it was as if it never happened.

hell, it's been so stable that I'm even questioning my memory about it - did that failing startup really even happen? I mean it's that good. and yes, I've taken the plastic protector off.

in october 2012 I ordered a Furman PL-8 CE and have been using it with the axe-fx II since then.

Should I buy a can of compressed air and use some on the fan? do I open it? I just want to act before something fails you know? :)

not that I think something is going to fail, I just want to be on the safe side. The fan has started to make a different sound, I'd say it's got more top end but also a kind of ticking sound as if I can hear it spinning. it's not loud or anything, about the same volume as always just different.

I don't want to start another "how does your fan sound thread" because there is nothing wrong with my axe-fx and has never been in 3 years

but I can't find any links on maintenance. do I just wait until something goes bad and fix it then?

kind of like checking the oil in a car to see if everything is ok you know? :)

on a side note, what's really sad about my axe-fx is that I've only played live like a handful of times and other than that I've been using headphones! LOL! could you imagine that? "I need an axe-fx II! just listen to it!! *buys an axe-fx II and only play using headphones*" hahaha what's up with that? xD

I remember going FRFR at school for my exam and when the sound guy turned up the monitors I got hit by a punch of sound - so hard in a good way - that the only thing I can remember was going "HOLY SHIT!" the guitar responded different aswell. I guess I've been saving for an active matrix or more likely the atomic CLR but I've just never had the money (moving in with my girlfriend in a overpriced small apartment in posh neighbourhood - one of my neighbours being the king of norway (no really, the castle in the capital of norway)

I've been practicing like crazy though, now I need to write material and get a band. I miss playing live, not that I've been on a tour other than through school.

well this escalated quickly.

Every time I reboot for whatever reason I count : thousand and one , thousand and two , thousand and three , thousand five and ... Holy shitz !! I made a mistake !! Hope my Axe don't explode during the powering up sequence ! [emoji12]

Every time I reboot for whatever reason I count : thousand and one , thousand and two , thousand and three , thousand five and ... Holy shitz !! I made a mistake !! Hope my Axe don't explode during the powering up sequence ! [emoji12]

hahah yeah I do to, for every firmware update my counting slows down "eeehhoooooneeeh. eeeeeeehtteeehhhwwooooeeh. eeeeehhhhtthhhheeerrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaeeehh" xD

no but really, no need for compressed air in the fan? I should just let it do it's thing until it stop the groove?

but Clark! it's going to diiiiie!! :cry :lol

No harm done in opening it up just for a look. But if its a MK1 there are no airholes in the side, so should be a closed system. So prob no dust in there. But no, cant hurt anything to look.
Please remember to pull the power before doing so.

duuude.... there was some particular firmware that "dramatically" extended the boot up time (1-2 seconds).... the number of heart attacks I got during those boot ups are beyond countable...

no but really, no need for compressed air in the fan?

I would avoid compressed air ... Just in case

It can be risky buisiness when it's time to dry your showered moto-bike with his big strong and heavy cables , better to clean as Karate Kid teached us [emoji12]

Probably wouldn't hurt to blow out the dust and wipe off the jack contacts every so often. Internal battery should be good for at least 10 years according to the manual.

For the OP, I'd have a spare PSU and a boot chip to hand. I've replaced one PSU, and I've used a boot chip. I'll be taking a the spare PSU with me to The Guitar Show later on this month.

If your AxeFx is travelling a lot the only thing I'd do is look inside to make sure none of the cables are coming loose. I do it once a year. I open it up and make sure all the plugs are firmly seated, just to be safe. I only once had a loose cable and that was on my Ultra, everything is pretty secure.

I'm more worried that I die than that the Axe-Fx dies. Remember to get that protein somewhere Cobrango! <3 :D

no you didn't Clark :p I can't let stuff like that just hang. it's protein in almost everything you eat. do you even cronometer ?

I should rather say: remember to get that fiber somewhere Clark Kent! <3 :D because of this and that

but yeah, maybe I have to open the axe-fx to just check how things are going. "hello in there, how ya'll doing?" if something is trying to run away then I know it's about time.

with my luck I'm sure I'll circuit bend the whole thing just in time for firmware 18. :p

(certificate of completion: Service technician - afraid to open axe-fx :p )

Back
Top Bottom