3.0 Beta Triode & Power Tube Hardness at different settings

What was the setting for the master volume? I did not listen to it with monitors yet but I had a hard time hearing more than a subtle difference that could be also due to the playing.

Default of 5.00

I guess that the triode hardness parameter affects the preamp, right? Is the power amp using the pentode modeling? What should we expect exactly regarding the tone/feel/response when modifying the hardness parameter?

Based on what I have read the tube hardness is the degree to which the tube breaks up or distorts, when driven to it's limits. If that's true I guess the triode hardness would be related to the preamp gain and the power amp hardness to the master volume. So for example when using lower hardness on the power amp you would need less master volume to break up/distort the power amp tubes? Is that correct?

If my guess is correct increasing the hardness should produce probably more clarity (less distortion) and these parameters would be probably more noticeable in less distorted settings than the one in the clip.

Last edited:
I don't know how much of it was lost in translation from what you hear in the room and my computer speakers, but when I A/B the first clip with the last, I can't hear a difference. I figured the two extremes should have the most noticeable difference, but I heard no change. I'm sure it's different in the room through an amp and cab or good monitors.

My personal opinion-most of the amps already sound pretty damn good and although this new feature may give one more options for tweaking, I'm not convinced it will make the models sound more like the real thing. ...but what do I know? :)

My personal opinion-most of the amps already sound pretty damn good and although this new feature may give one more options for tweaking, I'm not convinced it will make the models sound more like the real thing. ...but what do I know? :)

I was that way with my Ultra and now the II.

I think if you either don't know an amp inside and out or can't A/B the Axe with the real deal, it is hard to say at this point. Even with FW 2.00c.

For me, that doesn't take away the excitement of the 3.0 features though. Still amped up to get some new amps etc.

Richard

I think if you either don't know an amp inside and out or can't A/B the Axe with the real deal, it is hard to say at this point.
The most important features of an instrument is the ones which allow me to reach a sound I love, both in eq & feel. I don't care if axefx nailed exatly every amp; it si very important how close I can dial a sound I wish, if the real amp is not modeled. Hardness seems a step in this direction.

The most important features of an instrument is the ones which allow me to reach a sound I love, both in eq & feel. I don't care if axefx nailed exatly every amp; it si very important how close I can dial a sound I wish, if the real amp is not modeled. Hardness seems a step in this direction.

+100

My comment was about people who say previous firmware already nailed the amp so how can it be improved?

As you said the improvements are the users get to dial in tones that they love not that anyone could pick out the differences as compared to a real amp.

Richard

+100

My comment was about people who say previous firmware already nailed the amp so how can it be improved?

As you said the improvements are the users get to dial in tones that they love not that anyone could pick out the differences as compared to a real amp.

Richard

It well might have for an individual. It would depend on what setting the liked the amp at and how they approach playing. One person might play with a pick and great deal of gain and say it nails amp X. Another might play the same amp with much less gain and perhaps in the style of Jeff Beck and notice differences in the attack of the model. But yes, I think with the last several added parameters really increase the ability to craft a specific tone and feel from an amp.

Last edited:
It well might have for an individual. It would depend on what setting the liked the amp at and how they approach playing. One person might play with a pick and great deal of gain and say it nails amp X. Another might play the same amp with much less gain and perhaps in the style of Jeff Beck and notice differences in the attack of the model. But yes, I think with the last several added parameters really increase the ability to craft a specific tone and feel from an amp.

This is huge. I'm not a big high-gain/metal fan so i don't crank up the gain any of the amp models. But as a tweaker I enjoy going through all the amp sims, even the ones that aren't usually thought of for low-med gain.

Back
Top Bottom