2U case for Axe Fx II similar to SKB Roto Rack, but more fitted?

cheopsnet

Inspired
Hello,

Do you guys have any suggestion for a hardcase similar to the the SKB Roto Rack, but more fitted (i.e. less huge)?

I like everything about the Roto Rack (weight is good, no superfluous feature) but there is just too much space unused for a Fractal..

Thanks,
Louis

NB: I tried the SKB Shallow Roto Rack, but it is not deep enough for an Axe Fx (case won't close)

SKB ROTO RACK SPECS

Rack Spaces 2U
Int Depth Front Rack to Back Lid 17.6"
External Height 6.2"
External Width 22.4"
External Depth 24"
External Material Plastic
Weight 10.8 lbs.
Manufacturer Part Number 1SKB-R2U

Gator cases dont leave a lot of room. My skb has room all around inside.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GR2L?product_id=GR2L&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core&adgroup=Live%20Sound%20&%20Lighting%20-%20Portable%20Racks%20&%20Cases&placement=google&adpos=1o5&creative=55686423721&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp9aJ7bei1gIVgrjACh00JgF9EAYYBSABEgJVOPD_BwE

Rack Spaces 2U
Int Depth Lid to Lid 22"
Int Depth Front Rack to Back Lid 19.25"
Lid Depth 2.75"
External Height 6"
External Width 21.5"
External Depth 22.75"
External Material Polyethylene
Weight 10 lbs.

I have the 3U version of this. The Axe sticks out slightly in the back but if you have right angle cables it's not an issue. I miss the SKB my ultra used, though...

@deathbyguitar Thanks for the feedback.. So you currently own a Gator GR-3L, and previously had an SKB Roto? Super interested in your POV!!

In your Gator, can you fit the Axe FX power cable within the case and close? Whenever in use, I would have both of the case's panels open so the sticking out during use isn't a problem for me. However I want to be able to go to a gig with one case containing both the Axe and the cable? Also, what do you miss about the SKB?

Thanks,
Louis

@deathbyguitar Thanks for the feedback.. So you currently own a Gator GR-3L, and previously had an SKB Roto? Super interested in your POV!!

In your Gator, can you fit the Axe FX power cable within the case and close? Whenever in use, I would have both of the case's panels open so the sticking out during use isn't a problem for me. However I want to be able to go to a gig with one case containing both the Axe and the cable? Also, what do you miss about the SKB?

Thanks,
Louis

I mispoke because I forgot to include the link to what I was talking about.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GR2S

I have the 3U version of that. I had a shallow SKB Roto Rack for my Axe-FX Ultra way back when, but the Axe-FX II is maybe 2 inches too deep for it. Truth be told the Gator is fine but to me the latches on the SKB are more robust. Other than having a case custom made there aren't really any other options, so you're just gonna buy this one.

With the Gator you'd be able to leave the power connected with a right angle power cable.

I have that same Gator 2U case. When I didn't have the right-angle power cable, I just disconnected it and then put it in the back lid before closing. Works perfectly. As was said, the Axe poked out just a tiny bit, but there's plenty of room to close the back even with the power cable.

I dont think i'd like a shallow case.. unless the size is an issue. I use rear patch panels and and all the wear and tear is on the panel not my axe. do the same with my digital mixer, i have a 16 xlr patch bay. YMMV

Thanks guys.
Based on your guys's feedback, I went on the regular (i.e. non shallow) skb roto rack 2u. Likely big but protective, pretty secure, etc.

I have the SKB and it's massive, and really just need to offload it. I'm interested in seeing if there's a better solution around, too.

Will something like the Gator GR-6S work with the Axe FX 2 XL+? I would really like to go as slim as possible on top of a 2x12 recto cab. This is only for home use btw. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom