2nd day jazz in the studio with my Ultra.

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
Tonight will be the 2nd of 2 days of recording a great jazz big band I play with regularly in a really fine studio.

Last night went really well.

I'm using my Ultra/SLA1/EVM-12L rig and they're mic'ing the cab, with a 57.
In a big band, the very last thing the engineer thinks about is the sound of the guitar on playback, and I'm not going to be bugging him to deal with my tone while 21 other guys wait around.
But I've had one extended solo so far and I really enjoyed the tone that I heard. The comping sounds good too, but so far it's way back in the mix.

All I'm using is the USA Clean sim with tone and gain controls all at 12:00. Master is also at 12:00.
I changed the Low Cut freq in the advanced parameters to cut off around 60hz to tame some of the bottom end, but that's it. Everything else about this preset is just the default USA Clean parameters. Oh, the bright switch (default is on) is off too.
I'm using an alder Tele with a 57 Classic in the neck position, 6-saddle Gotoh bridge, USACG 24-3/4" conversion neck with rosewood fretboard, D'addario flatwounds (.010-.052).

I'm not using any effects except a Vol block that I control with one of the Exp Pedals on my FCB1010. Just dry guitar. No reverb. No nothing.

Normally, for a gig like this, I wouldn't even use the Axe, I'd use my Pearce G2r.
But the G2r has been making some intermittent noises and I haven't had time to get it serviced.

The G2r has a tone that I like even more than anything I've yet been able to coax out of the Axe or anything else I've ever owned. But the Axe sounds *real* good for jazz too. [It'd be really cool if a G2r clean channel sim found its way into the Axe firmware one day.]
The Tweed amp sim is great for jazz too, maybe even better than the USA Clean sim. But I haven't had time to tweak it just right yet. For some reason I'm not all that fond of the Blackface sim for jazz.

Just thought I'd share.

That sounds like fun :) Nothing is like the feeling when everything sounds right :) Congrats

Mik.

The USA clean is just a great sounding amp. For jazz, I'm liking a patch which has no amp at all (an idea I got from Joegold), just reverb, PEQ, and a speaker.

Back
Top Bottom