250$ for Metallica Black Album Preset

go into a recording session and move some mikes around. Observe the reactions.

Then come back and tell us.

I have a box of doom and dynamount so I’m well aware how the sound changes.
Yet why do artists not freak out losing a speaker cab the way they do an amp?

go into a recording session and move some mikes around. Observe the reactions.

Then come back and tell us.
I had this happen when we were tracking a demo once. The other guitarist didn't end up sticking around :D

Bob Rock himself, who personally built the scaffolding and moving blanket room for the cabs in the Black Album's recording sessions, and personally chose the mics and positioned them, and personally dialed in the amps, confirmed it was specifically a Mesa Mark III in an episode of Tone Talk not too long ago.

Also, in that video you linked, Ola is using a Mesa Mark slaved into JCM 800 approach, which is honestly pretty widely known to have been the setup Metallica used to record AJFA, not TBA. And even though Ola's video sounds great there, even if you could translate that video into a patch in the Axe-Fx, this thread's OP is meticulously A/B'ing whatever patches are presented against the actual album's rhythm guitar stems... so it still wouldn't be close enough for them.

I will agree with you that these threads do bring out "the worst" though.

Since we're getting all into the weeds anyway, technically it's Master of Puppets that was rumoured to be slaved into a Marshall power amp. Except Flemming Rausmessen (the producer of TRL, MOP, and AJFA) denies it in interviews. So really a lot of it is subject to the fallability of human memory at this point. And getting something evocative of these tones is fairly easy with any Mesa Mark series and copious EQ.

For all the people complaining about the lack of tone matching, OP might just have been hoping to learn more about how to craft a tone intentionally. Tone matching isn't so much intentional as a nice computational match to apply at the end. But if someone was to try it without tone matching there might be learning. For example, to somewhat replicate this tone from scratch I'd assume:
1. Mesa Mark Amp
2. Parametric EQ after the amp to simulate their rack EQs
3. Mic positioning and phase cancellation, either using off axis or alignment to cause other EQ
4. More EQ to simulate the mixing desk EQ
5. Maybe compression and tape saturation

2-4 can all be captured by a single tone match. Likely simpler, and more accurate. But less to learn from, less to be able to play with by taking parts once at a time and seeing how they layer.

I would be pretty stumped if someone stole my AfeFX. Hard to come by here in Australia! (send more - we're desperate). I'd have to lift my tube amp and be too loud again.

Ah, guitar. We're a funny bunch aren't we us guitarists. I wonder what they talk about on banjo forums.

I’d be f**ked too! One of my main sounds is on one of the older models.

I’d be scared to go in a banjo forum after seeing deliverance. Guitar forums are bad enough lol.

Look up Bruce Gelais Metallica cab impulses on Youtube. He has a link to you can download for free. They are pretty dang close. You can add just about any high gain amp in front of them and get 90% of the way there.
This. I was amazed. Literally. Use the Black i.r with a mesa Mk2c++ or a Mk4, and I would even argue up to 95% there. It really is incredible. The Justice i.r even has the "whoooogh" e-o low rumble of the Eye of the Beholder chant.

Back
Top Bottom