24 fret/22 frets and neck pickup

Personally I prefer the sound of neck humbuckers in 22 fret guitars. They do tend to sound a bit fuller and fatter generally. The only time I prefer 24 frets is if I want to play 5th fret harmonics - these get cancelled out on 22 fret guitars.

Thanks Antcarrier!

I am probably not going for the 24 fret guitar since I use the neck pick humbucker mostly and never play stuff that requires me to have 24 frets.
I'll just keep on looking. The hunt is also exciting :)

Jens

The hunt is also exciting
Yep it is.
I'm having another Larkin build soon.
It'll be a Soloist with H/S/S and a sustainiac in the neck position + piëzo's.
And it'll be a 22 fretter.

Depends on the sound you're after.
Traditionally, most electric guitars had the pole pieces of the neck pickup right on the 1/2-way division of the string node which is also where the 24th fret would be on a 24-fret neck.
[I've actually seen some ES-175s though where the neck pup pole pieces are a little further towards the bridge than this node.]
So if you're after a traditional tone you probably won't be able to nail it with a 24-fret neck (unless they also figure out a way to make a pickup with pole pieces right under the 24th fret that doesn't sound like crap when you actually play at the 24th fret which is highly unlikely).
If you don't care about traditional tones then go for it.
"Good" or "bad" tone is highly subjective.
But as for me... I'm an old fart and have never liked the neck pickup tones possible on 24-fret guitars.

Last edited:
Depends on the sound you're after.
Traditionally, most electric guitars had the pole pieces of the neck pickup right on the 1/2-way division of then string node which is also where the 24th fret would be on a 24-fret neck.
[I've actually seen some ES-175s though where the neck pup pole pieces are a little further towards the bridge than this node.]
So if you're after a traditional tone you probably won't be able to nail it with a 24-fret neck (unless they also figure out a way to make a pickup with pole pieces right under the 24th fret that doesn't sound like crap when you actually play at the 24th fret which is highly unlikely).
If you don't care about traditional tones then go for it.
"Good" or "bad" tone is highly subjective.
But as for me... I'm an old fart and have never liked the neck pickup tones possible on 24-fret guitars.

You're right of course. Good or bad is subjective, and I am indeed looking for a traditional neck pick-up tone. That is why I am asking.
Thanks for your input! :)
Jens

This is an interesting subject for me. My next guitar will be something like a Suhr Standard, 22 frets and a humbucker in the neck. To me, the neck humbucker on my Les Paul and the neck single coil on my '54 RI Strat (21 frets) sound very distinct are definitive neck position sounds. None of my other guitar's neck positions (or middle for that matter) sound like those. I'm lead to believe it's because of the 24 frets and the placement of the pickups. My Ibanez Jem and RG's and especially my Petrucci seem to trade some of the individual pickup's tone for the space of 24 frets, all on a 25.5" scale guitar. There's way more tone variation between pickups on my Strat and Les Paul then the others. I won't get into the physics or other variables like wood choices, pickups, etc, but the difference is noticeable, instantly. HOWEVER!!- The 24 fret guitars sound cool too, just different. My main gigging guitar is my Petrucci, because it does everything. That sound does lend itself to a certain tone and style of playing (shred, for lack of a better word). Maybe because that's what we're familiar with all these years.

There's an interesting video out there where Joe Satriani , when going from 22 to 24 frets, discusses his 24 fret version of his Ibanez signature model. I believe he said he wanted the neck single coil positioned close as possible to the neck to get the desired sound.

Like the other posts, trust your ears and get what you like. I like all of them for different things.

On a side note, I thought it was hilarious how this turned into a discussion about Ed Roman. Never met the guy or visited his store, but spent countless hours on his site reading his rants. Like a bad talk show, a train wreck, a car accident, or a bar fight, the temptation to watch (or read in this case) was too great.

Last edited:
The sound is different (does not mean one is worse).

I read Satriani's approach to this:
- his older signature model have 22 frets because of this difference, he use PAF Pro (humbucker double coil format) in the neck position
- his new signature model have 24 frets, and he changed the neck pickup to humbucker in single coil format to compensate the distance

The sound is different (does not mean one is worse).

I read Satriani's approach to this:
- his older signature model have 22 frets because of this difference, he use PAF Pro (humbucker double coil format) in the neck position
- his new signature model have 24 frets, and he changed the neck pickup to humbucker in single coil format to compensate the distance
yes, i'd seen a video of stariani explaining why his 24-fret model had a single coil sized humbucker.
the other person whom i have heard this from was steve morse.
iirc, in his interview on the sects, dregs and rock & roll dvd, he was explaining the evolution of his original ebmm and why he stuck with 22 frets.

Back
Top Bottom