2 weeks, 1 gig. A few bumps, but going great....

mkoetter

I've had my axefxII and mfc for just about 2 weeks now and wanted to chronicle my experience - both to help me come to terms with my feelings about this new rig, and to share with others who may be thinking about it.

First, a bit about me. I've been playing guitar for 25 years - most recently for The Bitteroots in Atlanta GA. I've been fortunate enough to be able to afford some pretty sweet gear of late. My current rig is a badcat lynx head and a badcat 4x12 closed back cab with v30's. The head is all handwired with matchless components & a custom brown/tan ostrich skin covering. I have a pedaltrain pro board with a cusack loop switcher and the following pedals: ernie ball wah > moog phaser > boss chorus > OCD2 > suhr clean boost > strymon el cap > strymon blue sky. This rig is a F'ing BEAST - chimey clean (very DC-30 sounding) with a high gain modded marshall overdrive. I typically play some combination of aggressive rock and blues and am constantly riding my volume control to move between edge of breakup and medium gain tones.

Yet even at half power, which kinda sucks away all the meat in the low end, I find I can rarely get it above 3 or 4 in most clubs around here - even the big ones. It's also huge, and breaks my back every time I move it. I think the head weighs 65 pounds alone. For reasons of portability alone, I've been wanting to try a modeling rig. And I have tried out a few. I've had an ultra, 11rack & HD500 - which all went packing after a week or so. I hate fizzy sounding distortion and clean tones with no tube sag or harmonic vibe. I tried very hard to keep an open mind when the axefxII arrived, and I'm glad I did.

The first thing I did after sampling the presets was to back them up using Axe Manage and delete the first bank from the AxeFX. I set out to create 5 really good, usable presets that can replace my current rig. I spent about a week futzing with Axe Edit. Great visuals for laying out the presets, but I kept having issues with presets getting corrupted on the AxeFX. Patch names were haywire, random blocks were getting inserted... I was ready to pull my hair out. Ditching the software was a smart move. The AxeFX is very easy to program via the front panel. I found that I could move almost as fast using the front panel - and with no issues whatsoever.

The MFC was a piece of cake. I think it took me about 5 minutes to unbox, hook up, and program the instant access buttons to my liking. The thing is built like a tank. The display is easy to read at any angle. The lights are bright - and I like the way they autoconfigure used / on / off status based on the AxeFX patches. I would have spent years programming another midi footswitch to get that much. The cat5 connectivity worked great. I set up a volume and wah expression pedal, and they both worked out of the box (an ernie ball 250k with the easy expression converter and a mission engineering pedal). The only issue I had was the #4 preset getting stuck. I finally figured out that if I pressed the #4 button a second time, it would 'unlock' it and allow me to select another one. Hopefully FAS will sort that one out via a firmware update in the future.

After not a lot of time, I got my 5 patches. Clean (based on USA Clean 1), Edge (based on AC30 TB), Crunch (based on CA3), Lead (based on CA3) and Blister (based on ODS100). I set up a script 90 phaser, rotary and analog chorus. Then I added a studio compressor after the cabs feeding parallel tape delay and plate reverbs. All channels also had a +3db boost just after the compressor. I used the x/y controls to provide two variations of th delay and reverb - this was surprisingly easy to do and worked well in practice. The raw amps and cabs sound great. So do the effects. I did not find a lot of mediocre or unusable stuff in there.

After I built the presets on my KRK studio monitors, I re-eq'd them over my PA. A little less bass, more low mid, less presence, and I was good to go. My PA speakers are not great... behringer powered 12" wedges. Since my plan is to only use these for stage monitoring, I found that they are passable but I will replace with something better when I save the ching. I copied the output 1 (mains) to output 2 (monitor) and set up the ernie ball pedal to control output 2. Thus, I could adjust the stage mix on the fly without impacting the FOH levels.

I made a bold move an decided to use it for a gig this past saturday night. And I couldn't have been more pleased! My stage levels were great - so easy to hear. I was getting plenty of punch and nice chimey tone out of that crappy behringer! The FOH sound was great as expected, though maybe a little thin next to my fellow guitarists 100 watt 2x12. All of my stage volume was pointing back at me... I think aiming my stage monitors at the audience might have thickened it up a bit. The MFC performed great. It was rock solid, and so easy to use mid-performance. All I can say is that I really enjoyed my sound and had a huge grin on my face all evening. The axefx is just so playable... I never felt like I didn't have the kind of tube vibe behind me that I've grown accustomed to.

I was very hesitant to ditch a real guitar cab, but embracing FRFR worked out well in the end. I can see how a great full range monitor would really round this out as a great rig.

So it's really a win all around. Great sounds at home with low volumes and a fantastic live solution. I'm a bit of an amp gasser... hopefully this will finally sate my thirst and I can buy some new axes!

If I could change anything about the rig, it would be to improve the quality of axe edit (too buggy) and it run as a vst (optionally). I would love some kind of an oscilloscope to visualize sounds as I often wish I could more easily see the freq content of patches. Getting the axefx and mfc to sync when recalling presets from the axefx would be huge.

I attached a couple pics of my rig for the curious.

7040735383_ea418c7aaa.jpg

7040735987_096bb8f9f6.jpg

congrats! Nice post. I get a chuckle out of seeing those Behringer monitors in the same room as all of the other nice stuff you've got. Just goes to show users - and new users - that going the full range route successfully really depends on a certain level of understanding of what the AxeFx is doing with modeling as well as how real tube amps and other audio processors work together. It is a testament to you and the AxeFx that you can get those Behringers sounding anywhere NEAR acceptable (and I own one myself...great bang for buck, but far from an ideal speaker).

Thanks for a very helpful review. Just curious--what mic do you have in front of the Bad Cat? It looks like it might be a Charter Oak??

Well put!!!

Hi mkoetter,

Congratulations, and thanks for the thorough and comparative review/account of your Axe-FX II experiences, (so far) as compared to your (very cool) Bad Cat & sweet-ass collection of stompboxes! If anyone should know a thing or two about the quality of excellent sounding tube-amps and boutique-level effects/stompboxes (to compare the Axe-FX II models to) it would be someone like you!

BTW, although I do regularly gig some heavier prog-rock/nu-metal cover-stuff, I also regularly play a LOT of the types of tones you exactly described, (aggressive-rock-to-blues, "chimey Matchless DC-30-meets-modded-Marshall" - YEAH!) and I too prefer to still ride my volume knob quite a bit while playing (although I admit, I am MUCH more adept at doing so with my Blade guitars - Strat-style volume-knob location - as opposed to where my damn Les Paul's volumes sit ergonomically, but that's my own problem/incompetence - lol!) In other words, it's really GREAT to hear a story/account like yours since you seem to have a lot of tonal similarities to about 70% of what I play regularly! I've been still clinging to using my Axe-FX II with a real-amp (FX-Return of a Blackstar HT-40 combo for now...) but I fully plan to eventually have a couple of versions of my Axe-FX II rig, one of which will surely be an FRFR powered-speaker(s) of some sort (still ironing-out my own "ching"/$$-issues - lol!) Thanks for helping to boost my confidence that I WILL make FRFR work (and KICK-ASS) at some point!

P.S. Your glowing review/account of the MFC-101 controller has me "gassing" for one of my own...(I don't whether to like you or hate you for that - LOL!)

Bill

P.S. Your glowing review/account of the MFC-101 controller has me "gassing" for one of my own...(I don't whether to like you or hate you for that - LOL!)

Same here! And I've been an UnO adept for years!

Thanks for the very well written review. I think a lot of points got cleared for me that were still somewhat foggy. I especially like the part where you transitioned to a live situation with a monitor and just had to iron out some eq to get an acceptable/pleasing tone. This one's for me is a killer. Altough I am quite aware that one has to design patches differently for live situations, I'm absolutely in love with the idea of an awesome tone at bedroom levels.

Congrats! And keep that feedback comin', if you'd be willing to share. Would love to know more about your experience with the AFX.

It's a Sterling st6050. I've really taken a liking to large diaphragm condensers for guitar recording. If you back it up 18" or so, the sound pressure levels don't seem to be as much of an issue and you get the sound of the full cabinet. I always liked condensers for recording guitar cabs, but started doing this after reading an Alan Parsons interview. Here it is for those that are interested: Studio Legends: Alan Parsons on "Dark Side of the Moon" - Premier Guitar

Thanks for a very helpful review. Just curious--what mic do you have in front of the Bad Cat? It looks like it might be a Charter Oak??

Walked in this morning and the display contrast keeps coming up maxed out & my presets are scrambled again. What gives? I reset the display contrast, rebooted, and it comes up as maxed out again. And how could the presets have gotten scrambled? The names are off and random blocks are inserted. I have not hooked it up to my computer or edited a patch since the gig... updating to 5.07 now. Maybe its a resolved issue with the latest firmware.

Walked in this morning and the display contrast keeps coming up maxed out & my presets are scrambled again. What gives? I reset the display contrast, rebooted, and it comes up as maxed out again. And how could the presets have gotten scrambled? The names are off and random blocks are inserted. I have not hooked it up to my computer or edited a patch since the gig... updating to 5.07 now. Maybe its a resolved issue with the latest firmware.

Wow.. that's weird. I'm on 5.04 and never had that issue. :( Hope you get it sorted out. And thanks for your review :)

Are you runing Axe-Edit on a PC or a Mac?

Would you be willing to post your 5 patches. I'm going through this same process right now & want the same 5 patch tones. I'd love to see what you've come up with.

Thanks!

Nice Gibby!

Hi mkoetter,

BTW, I forgot to ask in my other post, what year/model is that Gibson Les Paul in the picture? It reminds me a lot of my 2006 Desertburst Standard, except I retroditted a Duncan JB into the bridge-position and had my tech/luthier install Sperzel locking-tuners (for quick/easy string-changes & I'm used to them from my Blades...and I'm lazy - LOL!) BTW, I also remove the pickguards from all of my Les Pauls, as it messes up my "pinky-anchor-mojo" - LOL!

Again, thanks for such a great and inspiring post!

Bill

It's a Sterling st6050. I've really taken a liking to large diaphragm condensers for guitar recording. If you back it up 18" or so, the sound pressure levels don't seem to be as much of an issue and you get the sound of the full cabinet. I always liked condensers for recording guitar cabs, but started doing this after reading an Alan Parsons interview. Here it is for those that are interested: Studio Legends: Alan Parsons on "Dark Side of the Moon" - Premier Guitar

Cool...and thanks for that link.

I've started to build a nice, little mic collection of my own. I have a couple good dynamics, and a couple nice ribbon mics, but I don't have a condenser. I had a feeling that's what yours was, although I was wrong about the manufacturer. I'm really interested in the Bock Audio 195, but I'm going to check out the Sterling you mentioned now, too.

Thanks again.

You might check out the neumann tlm102. A neuman mic for around $700 bucks is a great deal. A friend of min has one, and its fantastic.

It's a 2008 desertburst with lollar p90's in it. It's one of those newfangled jobs with the "memphis" circuit board wiring everything together. I plan on yanking that board, but it's ok for now. I do like the chambered body (lighter than my strat) and variable shaped neck (thick on top, thin on bottom). The plek'd frets are great.

Hi mkoetter,

BTW, I forgot to ask in my other post, what year/model is that Gibson Les Paul in the picture? It reminds me a lot of my 2006 Desertburst Standard, except I retroditted a Duncan JB into the bridge-position and had my tech/luthier install Sperzel locking-tuners (for quick/easy string-changes & I'm used to them from my Blades...and I'm lazy - LOL!) BTW, I also remove the pickguards from all of my Les Pauls, as it messes up my "pinky-anchor-mojo" - LOL!

Again, thanks for such a great and inspiring post!

Bill

Sure. Just had to blow everything away and start from scratch, and of course, I had not backed up my presets. I will post them as soon as I rebuild them!

Are you runing Axe-Edit on a PC or a Mac?

Would you be willing to post your 5 patches. I'm going through this same process right now & want the same 5 patch tones. I'd love to see what you've come up with.

Thanks!

You might check out the neumann tlm102. A neuman mic for around $700 bucks is a great deal. A friend of min has one, and its fantastic.

I was looking at that mic a few weeks ago, and it seems like a great deal. It gets a lot of great reviews for certain applications, but I ran into a bunch of people who said it wasn't their first choice for a condenser for micing guitar cabs. Your friend would disagree?

mkoetter said:

You might try replacing the battery. While it's a new device, that sounds like a weak battery causing loss of system settings Speaking of system settings, don't forget you can back them up (along with patches) to the II's internal flash storage. That makes it easy to restore them without a computer.

I wanted to follow up on my initial thread with my experience to date.

Sent back the unit with the memory issue, and got a replacement unit that had been dropped. The box was mangled and the rack ear bent. FAS was very cool about it and shipped me a new one. So I'm finally back to where I was with a fully functional rig and a handful of good presets. So here are a few conclusions I have been able to draw...

The MFC101 rocks! I had an Ultra years ago with a ground control pro. That was a giant PITA, which I never got working to my satisfaction. Then I picked up a used FCB1010 and installed the uno mod. That was worse! I ditched the entire modelling rig and went back to tube amps. Got a cusack programmable loop switcher and spent a lot of money on pedals and was satisified for a while. No matter how good my tone is, if i spend more time programming the control than the patches, something is wrong. The MFC101 is dead easy, and it just works.

FRFR is the way to go. With the presets carefully designed and eq'd, my behringer powered monitors sound great. I mean, my tone now is better than any tube amp I have owned (fuchs, badcat, matchless, tone king, boogie...). It sounds HUGE - and totally cuts through the mix. EVERYONE notices, and tells me how awesome my guitar sounds. I should mention that it is almost dead silent, even with some pretty high gain patches. I am sure investing in a high end FRFR system would sound even better, but don't be fooled into thinking you need to make a huge investment to get some initial tonal satisfaction. I am sure a year from now, I will have a matrix, atomic or whatever is next. Still, a basic quality FRFR will get you a lot of milage.

Save some time and buy mission cc pedals. I've been f'ing around with modding volume pedals, buying adapters, etc. to get all of my old pedals working. I have 1 mission pedal and it still works 1000 times better than anything else. They have a bstock sale right now!

Don't be afraid of simplicity in your patches. I have seen some wicked complicated patches out there. I think that's part of the draw - you can cover territory that has never been covered in an analog rig. But don't think that dropping an amp, cab and reverb block on a patch - and nothing else - is "under using" this device. I have a vox ac 30 tb patch that rules, and it has 3 blocks on it.

Wishes for the future. If there is anything I wish for, it would be more time invested in AXE-Edit. It is immeasurably better than it was, but I still find it frustrating to use. I won't go into all the idiosyncrasies here, as they are well covered in the forum, but this app makes me crazy. I have pretty much moved back to editing everything on the unit itself. Which really sucks, because there are so many menus and buried params, it can be hard to see what you are working with at a glance. I have high hopes for some of the ipad controllers out there. I think a reliable wireless ipad controller that you could mount on one of these <http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iklip/> out by your foot controller would be the bomb. The one other thing I can think of would be some kind of utility to make eq'ing new environments easier. Perhaps a quality mic with tone match could allow you to measure the tonal response of an FRFR system and then automatically generate an eq curve to flatten it. Then all of your presets would be fully portable to different speaker systems without a ton of manual EQ.

Back
Top Bottom