2 pro-shot TV Studio videos with Axe-Fx

Ventanaman said:
Those videos look great. The vocals on the other hand ...

Thanks! About the vocals, do you want to be more specific? We had to do a lot of takes for every song to get all the camera people and lighting guys etc. to know what to do, so we ended up doing about 7 takes of each song, so when the All I Need song was done we'd played about 14-15 songs by then. And the songs are pretty high, so some vocal fatigue could be expected I guess...

For what it's worth, you didn't ask for my opinion but wtf... the lead vocals are fine, he's better in a higher register, seemed to struggle in the second song on the lower notes. I think the harmonies/backup vocals are a weak spot. Maybe the bass player in the first song (hard to tell who) and in the second song the harmony sounds shaky to me... overall I think it's pretty good though, better than I could do. The Axe-fx sounds like tubes (I swear there are tubes in the f'ing thing somewhere).

Keep it up....

hankstone said:
For what it's worth, you didn't ask for my opinion but wtf... the lead vocals are fine, he's better in a higher register, seemed to struggle in the second song on the lower notes. I think the harmonies/backup vocals are a weak spot. Maybe the bass player in the first song (hard to tell who) and in the second song the harmony sounds shaky to me... overall I think it's pretty good though, better than I could do. The Axe-fx sounds like tubes (I swear there are tubes in the f'ing thing somewhere).

Keep it up....

Cool, thanks man! Yeah we're still improving of course, we've been actively rehearsing for less then a year really... the harmony vocals is something we really want to do, and when we nail them they really set us apart from other local bands. But when we don't, it can sound pretty sour :lol: And indeed, the Axe is the best piece of gear I ever bought! I hadn't been without amp GAS once since I was 11, then I bought the Axe and haven't even looked at another amp ;) Unless it's for inspiration to dial in a new tone on the Axe, that is.

Oh yeah, I really liked the guitar tones and playing... The songs aren't up my alley but they are good and the chicks prolly love u guys. Which if I was u would be what I'd go for. :cool:

Nice tones and playin´! But......... Turn the guitar louder!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Congrats!

Don't get me wrong - I think these are great videos, but you did ask for opinions and I thought the vocals were the weak link. Certainly fatigue could be a factor, but if someone is singing correctly, 15 takes of a 3 minute song shouldn't be an issue (folks on Broadway sing live for 2-3 hours per night). This is melodic stuff, not death metal.

I think proper signing technique would help significantly - the lead sounds like he is trying too hard to generate a certain sound (? Layne Staley/Wes Scantlin) rather than just signing. Just my .02.

As for harmonies - it is just practice, and more practice. The band should be able to hit those notes a capella if you really want to nail it live.

FWIW, I do have a professional signing background and training.

Ventanaman said:
Don't get me wrong - I think these are great videos, but you did ask for opinions and I thought the vocals were the weak link. Certainly fatigue could be a factor, but if someone is singing correctly, 15 takes of a 3 minute song shouldn't be an issue (folks on Broadway sing live for 2-3 hours per night). This is melodic stuff, not death metal.

I think proper signing technique would help significantly - the lead sounds like he is trying too hard to generate a certain sound (? Layne Staley/Wes Scantlin) rather than just signing. Just my .02.

As for harmonies - it is just practice, and more practice. The band should be able to hit those notes a capella if you really want to nail it live.

FWIW, I do have a professional signing background and training.

It's cool man, I appreciate the constructive words :) We're all learning and growing still, and our singer is going back to taking vocal lessons pretty soon. So far, his main issue hasn't necessarily been technique or range, but his ear for music and theory/scale knowledge. This also throws off the harmonies, of course. He's working on that like a champ though and he's made a lot of improvements just over the past few months :) But thanks for your advice, it's always good to get a little humbled once in a while! :)

Back
Top Bottom