2-part AxeFx/headphones question

Billbill

Power User
hey guys,
Well after extensively rebuilding my AxeFx presets catalog; presets for live n loud, studio work, and med level house playing, I'm almost to the point of being able to clone my loud patches and rework them for recording applications and lower volume play. Rig is axe>gt1000fx>2 212's in stereo, and yes I choose to run cab sims on;)
1) Starting with the loud patches, what are some of the, of any, absolute must adjustments that I should use to tame these patches for recording and/or low volume play? I've heard of adding a PEQ and also playing with the "room" parameter in the cab block??

2) Headphones! I know this one is very subjective for many reasons, so I wanted to ask about this one from a different angle. The wife got me Bose QC35 II for Father's Day and they sound great for listening to music on my phone so I was wondering if anyone has used these with their AxeFx? If so, what was the experience like? I know it's prob not a typical Hphone to use for recording but I figured id ask. The ones I have now, Sennheiser, are shit. Recommendations are appreciated. Thx guys

You're going to get a wide array of opinions here.
Any headphones that sound great for personal listening will be "coloured".
Better to have a more flat response curve than coloured.
I use the ATH M-50s - Cheap and sound great (to me).

hey guys,
Well after extensively rebuilding my AxeFx presets catalog; presets for live n loud, studio work, and med level house playing, I'm almost to the point of being able to clone my loud patches and rework them for recording applications and lower volume play. Rig is axe>gt1000fx>2 212's in stereo, and yes I choose to run cab sims on;)
1) Starting with the loud patches, what are some of the, of any, absolute must adjustments that I should use to tame these patches for recording and/or low volume play? I've heard of adding a PEQ and also playing with the "room" parameter in the cab block??

2) Headphones! I know this one is very subjective for many reasons, so I wanted to ask about this one from a different angle. The wife got me Bose QC35 II for Father's Day and they sound great for listening to music on my phone so I was wondering if anyone has used these with their AxeFx? If so, what was the experience like? I know it's prob not a typical Hphone to use for recording but I figured id ask. The ones I have now, Sennheiser, are shit. Recommendations are appreciated. Thx guys

I use the Beyerdynamic DT-770 heaphones for recording. They are the best I’ve had to date. The M-50s Slinky mentioned above are also great. If you’re near a Guitar Center, they have a lot of the top models set up where you can try them.

I think a good place to start would be look at what model Sennheiser you have, write down what you don't like about them, and look for something different that reportedly does those things better.

I like my Sennheisers...hd280 I think, had them for years now. Little light on the bass response but they seem fairly clear to me.

I use headphones most of the time when i am at home playing. Slinky005 hit it on the head. Flat Response headphones are key. I use a mix of headphones, often I use my sennheiser 280 pro's for closed ear despite their color. When i am setting up patches I usually use my Grado RS2e's. Which are an open backed flat response audiophile targeted headphone (stupid pricey). Sometimes I will just use my in ears's which are Westtone UM30's.

The Grado's are about the best of my collection for if your setting up patches. They don't color or roll off the highs and lows as as much as other headphones. I haven't tried to compare the in ears too much admittedly.

As for playing with headphones, Often you will want to kick the gain up higher, as your not getting the room feedback. Resulting in your patches feeling like the gain is on the colder side. But its still possible to play and have a stupid high gain feel and sound without the room feedback.

I think it also all depends on what you want to spend, I just got a set of AKG 712 pro and wow they are amazing flat response headphones and great if you do any home recording and need to mix with headphones.

Back
Top Bottom