2-layer switches?

Sure... and thank you very much for taking this time!

Guitar -->loop switcher (bypasses the entire board, straight to amp)---> Tuner ---> Clean boost --->JHS Superbolt ---> Mosaic 12-string effect ---> FuzzRite fuzz ---> Big Muff ---> Klone klone ---> Pitch Vibrato --->reverb ---> Trem ---> Flanger. I don't have room for a delay pedal but want one. That makes 11.
I presume I can consolidate the Boost and the Superbolt into one thing with 2 channels, and do the same for the two fuzzes. Now we are 9.

The way I use it is: for most songs, I just stomp the one pedal I need on the fly, maybe adding a second. For a few songs, I stage all the pedals necessary - for example, JHS, 12-string, trem and reverb, and have them ready to go when I hit the loop button which grabs them all with one stomp. And of course off.

Is there a setup where all 9 switches are dedicated to effect on/off/+channel, but I can escape it by using the heel-toe action on the two end switches? One switch could still invoke a tuner under a long press as per the example of the stock tempo switch.
This arrangement would get me and the FM9 into the rehearsal room next Monday with no one the wiser... other than the novelty of the pretty lights!

What might you suggest?
There is a factory layout called Effects, but you'd need to adjust it for the ones you use and (probably) placement.

But it's easy to adjust and make how you want it.

I'd consider the Tuner as something to assign on a Hold function.

In your setup, I'd probably mix scenes and "stomp box mode".

Like a "base scene" for the combination of your always on, or mostly always on effects. Another scene or two for those songs you "pre-set".

Then switch the to the Effects layout (or your version of that) for the stomp box part.

The layouts can be made to do a lot of things, all switches can have any function on both Tap and Hold.

Edit:

Basically, a scene is like a loop selection on your switcher... Except it can also "swap" effects of the same type via channels.

"Basically, a scene is like a loop selection on your switcher... Except it can also "swap" effects of the same type via channels."

That is something I can relate to -- thanks!

Another great tip which frees up footswitch use is to set each of your presets so that when you step on a specific preset, that switch which displays the preset name (I prefer custom preset names, the Mini-Display Label can help with that), can be set to send that preset to scenes automatically, instead of needing a separate SCENES switch.

The screenshot below shows where you need to access this feature. It's located in FC Edit > Layout Links > Edit Links. When you set FM9 Tap Layout to Layout 2 (or wherever your Scenes layout is located) it will send your choice of preset to the appropriate group of scenes you've built for each preset.

B3LiyRU.png

You'd only need one footswitch dedicated to bring you back to your presets, instead of 2 for both presets and scenes, which is written as stock into OFM9G.

Another great tip which frees up footswitch use is to set each of your presets so that when you step on a specific preset, that switch which displays the preset name (I prefer custom preset names, the Mini-Display Label can help with that), can be set to send that preset to scenes automatically, instead of needing a separate SCENES switch.

The screenshot below shows where you need to access this feature. It's located in FC Edit > Layout Links > Edit Links. When you set FM9 Tap Layout to Layout 2 (or wherever your Scenes layout is located) it will send your choice of preset to the appropriate group of scenes you've built for each preset.

B3LiyRU.png

You'd only need one footswitch dedicated to bring you back to your presets, instead of 2 for both presets and scenes, which is written as stock into OFM9G.
^^^ This is the way.

I love this group and this forum - thank you bleujazz and unix-guy and everybody! Now let's see if I can make this happen.

I have a theoretical question - can I set all 9 switches to effects? With none dedicated to anything else. And use the heel-toe combination to escape back to the "normal" switch arrangement?

I love this group and this forum - thank you bleujazz and unix-guy and everybody! Now let's see if I can make this happen.

I have a theoretical question - can I set all 9 switches to effects? With none dedicated to anything else. And use the heel-toe combination to escape back to the "normal" switch arrangement?
Yes... Heel->Toe is the magic combination for MLM (Master Layout Menu).

You can also assign a Hold on one of your switches to go to MLM, or to quickly jump to any other layout.

Thanks to the great help and advice I've been getting here, I am almost where I want to be now -- I have 9 scenes set up, three of which have a "per preset" Hold second function, and yet there's one weird item I cannot track down.
Switch #1 is assigned to my Flanger block with no tricky channel switching or Hold function - it's a straight Effect/Bypass arrangement.
But... when I hit that switch, it will not only engage the flanger but also exit my Scenes and switch to Presets. I'm looking at presets and hearing the flanger. The only way to turn it off is to enter Scenes again and switch it off... which will again switch me to Presets. I've looked everywhere I know where to look for what might be doing this and can't come up with anything. I certainly don't know all the streets and alleys of this thing yet, but I'm really scratching my head about this one.
Does it ring a bell or suggest anything?

Thanks to the great help and advice I've been getting here, I am almost where I want to be now -- I have 9 scenes set up, three of which have a "per preset" Hold second function, and yet there's one weird item I cannot track down.
Switch #1 is assigned to my Flanger block with no tricky channel switching or Hold function - it's a straight Effect/Bypass arrangement.
But... when I hit that switch, it will not only engage the flanger but also exit my Scenes and switch to Presets. I'm looking at presets and hearing the flanger. The only way to turn it off is to enter Scenes again and switch it off... which will again switch me to Presets. I've looked everywhere I know where to look for what might be doing this and can't come up with anything. I certainly don't know all the streets and alleys of this thing yet, but I'm really scratching my head about this one.
Does it ring a bell or suggest anything?
Layout links.

Any switch can also change layouts, besides doing whatever bypass or channel action it's set to. For instance, many people have their preset selection switches also change to their Scenes layout. That's often perfect -- pick your preset, and you're automatically set up to navigate through its scenes.

That's the the intended use of layout links. I bet your issue is that that one switch has an unintentional layout link assigned. You can see that in the editor.

Last edited:
Layout links.

Any switch can also change layouts, besides doing whatever bypass or channel section it's set to. For instance, many people have their preset selection switches also change to their Scenes layout. That's often perfect -- pick your preset, and you're automatically set up to navigate through its scenes.

That's the the intended use of layout links. I bet your issue is that that one switch has an unintentional layout link assigned. You can see that in the editor.
Bingo. That was exactly it! I swear, you saved me probably 3 hours of searching the manual and internet. Now I am good to go for Monday.

I realize very well that I am using maybe 10% of what the Fractal was meant to do and it's overkill for this simple application but as they say, Start With What You Know.
There's no doubt I'll be using more of the features as time goes on - I'm in more than one band and features like Layout Links will be perfect for that. This make-a-pedalboard project was perfect to get my feet wet with Fractal World.

Guys - thank you so very much for all the hand-holding and guidance. This is a great group!

-Jeff

Last edited:
How do you have 9 scenes? There are only 8.
I'm probably using Fractal words incorrectly. I set my Bank Size to "9" for this preset and that gave me every switch with an effect off/on, just like a pedalboard. The manual says that would give me 9 presets, but it gave me 9 live switches for effects. I presume those are scenes?

I'm probably using Fractal words incorrectly. I set my Bank Size to "9" for this preset and that gave me every switch with an effect off/on, just like a pedalboard. The manual says that would give me 9 presets, but it gave me 9 live switches for effects. I presume those are scenes?

Not scenes just effect switches from your description. If you turned on some of these and saved it under a scene number, then those same effects will turn on when you select that scene. A scene is a snap shot of the block states within a preset. So you can save 8 scenes in each preset. No worries you’ll figure it out fast.

skolacki - thanks for the very clear explanation. They are just Effects switches, you're right.
I'm getting there bit by bit.

Beginners always get some quips, frivolous remarks and joke answers but there has been zero of that here. All sincere answers, helpful, encouraging and to the point. I have big, big respect for the level this group operates on!

Back
Top Bottom