2 guitars w/ separate amps & signal chains in parallel?

hunter

Experienced
Hi all,

Tomorrow we have a small "in living room" rehearsal at my place.

Bass player and other guitarist will be coming.

I was planning to run the bass straight in the mackie mixer to the 12MA and the 2 guitars through the Axe. But how can i run 2 guitars in parallel and give them dedicated amps and all? How do I have to set this up, if it's possible at all?

I was trying to find a module to select which input goes in which row on the Axe but couldn't find it, maybe I am thinking wrong here?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
C

You can use either 'input select' in the amp module or take a null filter as first block in a row using 'balance' to full left or right values.

regards

DieSchmalle

DieSchmalle said:
You can use either 'input select' in the amp module or take a null filter as first block in a row using 'balance' to full left or right values.

regards

DieSchmalle

Ah good one. Thanks Schmalle!

Can I plug one guitar in the front and one in the back /R Input 1?

Yes, but they will differ in sound.
Due to Cliffs special sauce circuit the front input is more bright than the rear input.
Best thing is probably to put 'input source' in the I/O menu to rear and use left and right inputs on the back for the two guitars.

DieSchmalle said:
Due to Cliffs special sauce circuit the front input is more bright than the rear input.
Best thing is probably to put 'input source' in the I/O menu to rear and use left and right inputs on the back for the two guitars.

Nope, As was pointed out to me a while back the processing to counter act the analog processes only occurs on the Left Rear so if you plug into the right rear you can set the input to front w/o a brightness issue.

javajunkie said:
DieSchmalle said:

Nope, As was pointed out to me a while back the processing to counter act the analog processes only occurs on the Left Rear so if you plug into the right rear you can set the input to front w/o a brightness issue.

So that means
I select Input front in I/O menu
I plug guitar 1 in the front in and it will be representing the Left input
I plug guitar 2 in the rear Right input and it will be representing the Right input
?

Cool!

I can't wait to see the face of the other guy when we'll both be running through my rig!

I hope he doesn't like it so much that he wants to use half my baby for all rehearsals and gigs then ;)

hunter said:
Cool!

I can't wait to see the face of the other guy when we'll both be running through my rig!

I hope he doesn't like it so much that he wants to use half my baby for all rehearsals and gigs then ;)

The one on the back will need to be line level tough...

hunter ,,you sharing your girlfriend now? thats just sick you perv....hehehe
i guess that makes you an axe swinger..lol

rectifier said:
hunter ,,you sharing your girlfriend now? thats just sick you perv....hehehe
i guess that makes you an axe swinger..lol

Oh you mean the Axe DP'ed front and back?

Dirty man you are :lol:

Hunter, this is totally doable. I actually had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago...very casual living room jam. Obviously it gets to be a little bit of a juggling act if both guitarists need to tweak things constantly, but for basic set-and-forget rigs it totally kicks ass. We went straight through a board out to Mackie SRM450s with some kind of sub attached. Monitoring was a challenge, so I panned each guitar toward where the player was standing. This was just a jam, so there were no other monitors...just the PA pointed back at us.

Just for kicks, I went a step further and ran 2 electric guitars into input 1 L/R and also ran electric bass and an acoustic guitar into input 2 L/R. I would never do that on a gig, but it was a very fun proof of concept. It gets to be a balancing act, but it did work very well. Everything except vocals and drums through one Ultra! The input levels needed to be bumped up internally using a filter or vol block...I forget, but the inputs are the correct impedance for guitar, so shouldn't be an issue.

I think I saved the patch. I can look for it and upload tonight, so you can take a look. I remember the other players were totally blown away, but they also accused me of too much tweaking and not enough playing, since I was essentially running sound for 4 people at once. :lol:

As it turns out, I set up a patch a while ago to try this, but only tested it this morning.

I used an FXL (FX loop) block as the first block on another line from my principal signal chain, ran that in parallel, but I then took it back into the amp input, along with the principal signal on the row above it, but after effects on the main signal. The 2nd guitar was plugged into the rear left input in my case, with input select left to Front.

Sounds like you'd want to maintain (2) separate rows, if you want different amps

Brian G said:
Sounds like you'd want to maintain (2) separate rows, if you want different amps

Since amps process in mono, you need separate amp blocks to have separate signals for each player.

Incidentally, there's a wish list thread very near and dear to me, where I propose an addition which would make this "two guys, their guitars and an Axe" approach radically more versatile:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1653&p=64320#p64320

Back
Top Bottom