2 guitars into an axe fx. one fretted and one fretless. need it urgently for a show

adildo

Inspired
hey guys,

have quite a big show on sunday. and have just realized that i need to have 2 guitars running into the axe fx simultaneously.
need to get this ready asap. i will have the fretless ready to go on a guitar stand. and will switch over to it during my solo.
are there any quick tips for this.? ive seen katsukuris explanation. but im not sure that i need seperate processing for the signal

am just starting to figure how to do this right now. !:encouragement:

Since they recently blocked our use of Facebook and YouTube here at my job, I can't give you a direct link, but if you are able to go to Matrix Amplification's Facebook page, they have a youtube video discussing exactly what you're needing. Or just do a search on YouTube for "How-to play 2 guitars with 1 Axe-FX II (with FX-LOOP)" and you should get the video. It's by the user "hybridcircle".

Hope that helps. :)

Since they recently blocked our use of Facebook and YouTube here at my job, I can't give you a direct link, but if you are able to go to Matrix Amplification's Facebook page, they have a youtube video discussing exactly what you're needing. Or just do a search on YouTube for "How-to play 2 guitars with 1 Axe-FX II (with FX-LOOP)" and you should get the video. It's by the user "hybridcircle".

Hope that helps. :)
thanks jeff b! this is a different method from katsu kuri?>

Here's a simple option: Add an FXL block in your chain at the beginning, merge it into the path that your first guitar uses. Plug your second guitar into "Input 2 L."

You could use katsu kuri's method for plugging into two input jacks on the Axe but then you could simply cable the two rows into a shared processing path well inside the box. I do that a lot, since most of my instruments have two necks with two outputs, and it works well.

You could use katsu kuri's method for plugging into two input jacks on the Axe but then you could simply cable the two rows into a shared processing path well inside the box. I do that a lot, since most of my instruments have two necks with two outputs, and it works well.

just tried kk's method. sounding great already even without the two blocks yet . will try it

is it possible to just use one row?

Almost. The FXL will have to be in a separate row, but it can link back into the main row immediately. If you run row 1 into the FXL, your first guitar's signal will get sent to Output 2, and will have left the grid.

Almost. The FXL will have to be in a separate row, but it can link back into the main row immediately. If you run row 1 into the FXL, your first guitar's signal will get sent to Output 2, and will have left the grid.

will try. cuz both of these guitars are electric guitars not acoustic. so im planning to use the same processing as well.

Do you have a specific plan for silencing each guitar when not used? If you'd just be turning the volume knob down, you could use In 1R for the second guitar and set Input 1 Mode to Sum L+R. This won't require any changes to presets.

If using the front input for guitar #1, set the front & rear input levels at a 3:4 ratio to avoid a weird level/balance issue with the unity gain design. For example, if your front inst. level is 60%, rear input 1 should be 80%.

Do you have a specific plan for silencing each guitar when not used? If you'd just be turning the volume knob down, you could use In 1R for the second guitar and set Input 1 Mode to Sum L+R. This won't require any changes to presets.

If using the front input for guitar #1, set the front & rear input levels at a 3:4 ratio to avoid a weird level/balance issue with the unity gain design. For example, if your front inst. level is 60%, rear input 1 should be 80%.

this seems much easier than chris' method. becuause in his video he using acoustic and electric. which seems to be slightly more complex. whereas im just using two electric guitars like u said with volume control

well if this is effective and slightly easier than KK's me thod. then i will use it.

btw what is the difference between using Input 1 mode as Sum of L+R and using Input 1 mode as Stereo?

Last edited:
With stereo the guitars will be on separate left & right channels entering the grid. This might not really matter on some presets, but sum L+R is more like what you get with one guitar set for left only input. Also global pitch detection will work on both inputs if you use sum L+R. In stereo mode the detection is on the left/front input only.

With stereo the guitars will be on separate left & right channels entering the grid. This might not really matter on some presets, but sum L+R is more like what you get with one guitar set for left only input. Also global pitch detection will work on both inputs if you use sum L+R. In stereo mode the detection is on the left/front input only.

thanks so much bakerman. you are a lfesaver. will try to upload some videos after the show is over!

Yes, but if you want to plug in two guitars into the AxeFx you need at least the first column to have two Volume blocks (or Gates) that can "monofy" the stereo input (Guitar#1@left and Guitar#2@right). Then you may cable them into one row for everything else. Oh, a useful trick might be to set those "monofying" initial Volume blocks to "Bypass=Mute" so you can assign them to a foot switch that mutes the other other one when one is active.

Yes, but if you want to plug in two guitars into the AxeFx you need at least the first column to have two Volume blocks (or Gates) that can "monofy" the stereo input (Guitar#1@left and Guitar#2@right). Then you may cable them into one row for everything else. Oh, a useful trick might be to set those "monofying" initial Volume blocks to "Bypass=Mute" so you can assign them to a foot switch that mutes the other other one when one is active.

you mean assigning the bypass to a IA switch? is this something that you use normally?

Back
Top Bottom