2 Amps + Mixer = Awesome

Pauly 6 String

Inspired
After having an Ultra for a year and a half I just decided to try using the Mixer to have a patch with a clean and dirty amp.

The song I was trying to make a preset for is "What's my age again". I can now use an expression pedal to go from clean to dirty real smooth and easy.

Then I did "She Sells Sanctuary" from the Cult to go from the clean, delayed, flanged intro into a med gain amp.

Made another preset that will let me go from one rhythm tone into a lead tone.

I like this a lot as it will allow me to have lots of flexibility in making presets for my cover band.

Any other tips or advice before I press on?

I will try to share the presets if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Pauly

Yeah its interesting to use that function, to find inbetween sounds. You dont need the mixer thoug, you can just attach a modifier to each amps out vol, controlled by the same exp.pedal - one of them goes from 0-100% the other from 100-0%

compression after the mixer might help iron out the difference in levels you might encounter at midpoints in your 2 amp mix, but by the sounds of it you're pretty happy without it

compression after the mixer might help iron out the difference in levels you might encounter at midpoints in your 2 amp mix, but by the sounds of it you're pretty happy without it

Yes, I am not looking to blend as much a switch between two chains.

@tubiflex, I'll give that a try

If you're not blending the amp tones, the expression pedal is probably overkill. You might be able to use a stomp switch (on your midi controller) in the same way.

After having an Ultra for a year and a half I just decided to try using the Mixer to have a patch with a clean and dirty amp.

The song I was trying to make a preset for is "What's my age again". I can now use an expression pedal to go from clean to dirty real smooth and easy.

Then I did "She Sells Sanctuary" from the Cult to go from the clean, delayed, flanged intro into a med gain amp.

Made another preset that will let me go from one rhythm tone into a lead tone.

I like this a lot as it will allow me to have lots of flexibility in making presets for my cover band.

Any other tips or advice before I press on?

I will try to share the presets if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Pauly

can you please share the patch you used for the cult on axechange, plesae? i'd love to try it, since I'm starting a tribute band! thanks a lot!

Check out Clarky's thread. He's made 'amp morphing' into an artform. :)

thaks a lot ... it's very easy. you just log in and upload the patch... tomorrow or the day after I can download it simply looking for its name! so kind of you!

Eddie. it is now on Axe Change named She Sells. Would like to hear your thoughts on how it sounds to you.

I have it set up for external 2 switching between amps. I have delay set at 1/4 note with a 140 bpm tempo (429ms). Billy Duffy stated that there are actually 2 delays used, one set to 400ms and the other to 800ms. Feel free to add another delay in row 1 if you like. The plexi shift was added for a little bit of ambiance. I spent my time trying to get the intro sounding good and didn't put much effort into the other amp.

Enjoy

If you're not blending the amp tones, the expression pedal is probably overkill. You might be able to use a stomp switch (on your midi controller) in the same way.

+1

You can do a lot of lovely things with an expression pedal, so IMO unless your controller just doesn't really have anywhere for it (i.e. you just have a few patch change buttons and no IA buttons), it's a bit of a waste using it to do what could be done with a switch.

I kinda have a different situation where most of my sounds for the band come from just one patch, and I ride an input volume expression pedal to get everywhere between near clean and full high gain. That plugs into an MFC-101 which otherwise does nothing 99% of the time. :lol There's one song where I play pitch shifted down an octave, and that's on a separate patch mainly to save having unnecessary rubbish in my main patch (pitch block, extra EQs and filters, different drive pedals, etc.). Aside for being where I plug the expression pedals into (the other one is for controlling FX mixes and parameters), the MFC is mostly used for tuning, and triggering annoying synth noises and using the looper. And the latter two are only really to irritate my bandmates. :lol

I hear ya' guys re: pedal vs. IA. I am currently out of IA's but am re thinking my controller layout and preset designs. Will definitely try it that way when I have the chance

Yeah cool. I need to rethink my IA layout, but more because I have to wonder what I was thinking when I picked the layout to begin with. Stuff I use a lot is over on the left side, or my delay switch is right next to the one that basically mutes the entire signal. Being the only guitarist in the band, that works out great when you're playing a gig and you go to turn off the subtle delay... instead the guitar drops out of the mix entirely. :lol

The drive block button is also right underneath the one that triggers the absurd synth block buzzer sound I use solely to annoy my bandmates. Another good one to accidentally hit in the middle of a serious song. :lol

Eddie. it is now on Axe Change named She Sells. Would like to hear your thoughts on how it sounds to you.

I have it set up for external 2 switching between amps. I have delay set at 1/4 note with a 140 bpm tempo (429ms). Billy Duffy stated that there are actually 2 delays used, one set to 400ms and the other to 800ms. Feel free to add another delay in row 1 if you like. The plexi shift was added for a little bit of ambiance. I spent my time trying to get the intro sounding good and didn't put much effort into the other amp.

Enjoy

I'm downloading it in a few seconds... I will try it tonight at my reharsal with the white falcon!! :) I usually use a FRFR cab (RCF), Tomorrow I'll come back to you! thanks a lot for your kindness!

Back
Top Bottom