2 Amps, 1 Preset - fastest way to switch

I did a search, seems like most switching talk on here is related to X/Y states. I use 1 preset with 2 amps in parallel, first 4 scenes are clean (dirty amp bypassed) and last 4 scenes are dirty (clean amp bypassed). Prepping for shows next year and the lag between clean/dirty switching is too much. Is there a faster way than bypassing the amp per scene? Thanks in advance!

Yes, close or suspend AE to make changes more seamless .... lesson learned ..... also going from X => Y or back using scenes has a delay or hitch .... plan that into a rest in the music ......

What about using a Mixer block with external controller (so you can slowly morph between the two amp sounds) or X/Y switching of mixer with scenes? I suspect the mixer delay switching time will be very low compared to amp switching delay.

What about using a Mixer block with external controller (so you can slowly morph between the two amp sounds) or X/Y switching of mixer with scenes? I suspect the mixer delay switching time will be very low compared to amp switching delay.

I believe that's how Paul Clark ( 'clarky' ) is handling it !

Do you have any other controllers active in the Amp blocks ? I think that slows down the switching too ?

I wonder if the amp editing page is active on the front panel screen of the axe fx because it also has an influence.
When you use axeEdit on the computer, the screen on the axe fx updates to whatever you are tweeking, so this might be something to check.
Just press the recall button and see if its doing something for you.

I also have my main preset using two amps and switching em from clean to dirty, and there's no sound gap when i switch, unless one of the known condition happens

What about using a Mixer block with external controller (so you can slowly morph between the two amp sounds)

Not interested in "slowly morphing" between amp sounds, I'm looking for as close to instantaneous switching as possible.

or X/Y switching of mixer with scenes? I suspect the mixer delay switching time will be very low compared to amp switching delay.

This sounds interesting. So both amps would be active, going into a Mixer block, and I would bypass a mixer channel per scene? You're thinking this is faster than Amp Bypass? Ill have to try.

I believe that's how Paul Clark ( 'clarky' ) is handling it !

Do you have any other controllers active in the Amp blocks ? I think that slows down the switching too ?

Not knowingly, is there a quick way to check?

I wonder if the amp editing page is active on the front panel screen of the axe fx because it also has an influence.

BINGO! Just went and tried this, and sure enough, I was in an edit page. Hit Recall, and yes the switching is a bit faster. Still not as fast as a channel switching amp, but much better.

Im still going to try the mixer idea to see if it improves switching time. Thanks for the responses guys!

Glad it worked on some level for you, though i still think you have an issue if its not switching fast enough when you use scene switching ( and no x/y amp state switching between scene). For the mixer thing, it will be as fast as your foot can be ;)

Post your preset. I have never experienced a lag while switching amps between scenes unless I was connected to axe edit. I'd be happy to look at it for you.

i still think you have an issue if its not switching fast enough

Think of a good channel switching amp. Clean, dirty. You're in a rock band doing the quiet verses/loud choruses thing. Maybe strumming or picking a clean part in the verse, then right on the 1 of the chorus you hit the dirty. Its instantaneous. You don't even think about it.

With the AxeFX, even in non-edit mode, no AE on, etc… I'm still hearing the tiniest "morph" between the 2. Its most apparent when going from clean to dirty. Dirty to clean is a less noticeable transition. Neither is a hard/fast instantaneous switch. Ill try the mixer thing shortly.

Not knowingly, is there a quick way to check ?

Not interested in "slowly morphing" between amp sounds, I'm looking for as close to instantaneous switching as possible.

If you aren't aware of any, then there probably aren't any. Did you set up a footswitch for any of the Amp functions ( ie; Boost, Bright, Saturation ) ? Those would be the most likely ?

Other than that, the easiest way to check controllers is to launch Axe-Edit and select the Amp Block. Then at the lower left side of the grid is a radial button labeled CONTROLLERS. Click that and it will show you a list of the various controllers that are available. You can click through that list and it will show you any controllers active in the entire preset.

Also, the "morphing" with a pedal can be instantaneous. Or at least as instantaneous as you can slam a pedal from the heel to the toe, or vice versa ! Depending on what else you want to do within a preset, it can be pretty darn cool ....

Another option if you want to use only one amp would be Scene Controllers ....

I just tried that and still, instantaneous switching here in the way you would want it to be. I also tried playing a chord, letting it ring and then switching to hear if there is a cut in the sound but there is nothing( dry to clean, clean to dry). Dont know what else you can do if its not fast enough on your side...

I wonder if the mere fact of having two amps (active or bypassed) on the two scenes increases the lag time. It seems to me the X-Y thing between scenes with 1 amp block in each is quick as channel switching on my amp.

My preset have two and it doesn't lag. At all. 2 amps, 2 cabs ( one of the 2 is stereo/Hi-res(2 different cabs) and the other is tone matched).

Is there any thing else switching between X/Y? Check to make sure that your amps (even when bypassed) are always in the same state (X or Y). If you could post the preset, all will be revealed.......

If you aren't aware of any, then there probably aren't any.

Ive played with a couple things in the past, but I wasn't positive what was still active or not. I checked Controllers and didn't see anything.

Also, the "morphing" with a pedal can be instantaneous.

Ive actually tried that in the past. Didn't stick with it. Thanks for the suggestions though.

instantaneous switching here in the way you would want it to be… Dont know what else you can do… My preset have two and it doesn't lag. At all.

Got it, you have no lag. I appreciate your help.

I wonder if the mere fact of having two amps (active or bypassed) on the two scenes increases the lag time. It seems to me the X-Y thing between scenes with 1 amp block in each is quick as channel switching on my amp.

Id be interested in hearing from Cliff or someone at Fractal about how to minimize switching times.

Is there any thing else switching between X/Y?

There shouldn't be, but of course I've tried things in the past and perhaps something still lingers. I will comb the preset for Y's that shouldn't be! lol thanks

I use two amps in parallel (no x/y switching) bypassing them using scenes, and its totally seamless. If doing this, make sure your amps bypass mode is set to "mute" for both amps.

Back
Top Bottom