2:90 or Matrix?

halen5150

Hi folks. I've been a heavy mesa user ever since I got my Mesaboogie Mark series.
My favourite amps in the AFX are the triaxis and the Mark II C++, and those are only amps that I use in the AFX.
Recently I've been considering getting a power amp for my axe fx 2.
So which power amp should I get for the tone of real mesas?
It'd be deeply appreciate if you share your thoughts and experience : )

I forgot to say I already have a rectifier cabient and Im definitely going to use it for the Axe FX and the power amp.

My experience is this. I have had numerous power amps non tube. I just received a fryette power station Friday and am loving it. So mad I did not get one sooner. I've had the ehx magnum, carving dcm 1540, a trial with a koch atr 4502, and some little experience with matrix. Matrix is the best ss choice pretty much available. Go for the tube power amp. For the interaction with a cabinet nothing gets the job done like the tube power amps (290 or fryette or what not).

Just be aware that a tube power amp will add its own coloration to every amp model you select (in addition to the model's power amp coloration if you leave PA modeling enabled), whereas the Matrix will not.

I think you will get a more true representation of the model by using a Matrix... But lots of people are perfectly happy using a tube power amp, too.

+1 to the second post.

If you're used to using real amps + real cabs etc, then my suggestion would be to stay with a tube power amp. If you were using passive FRFR (full range flat response) speakers/cabinets, I would then say go for a Matrix. I recently got the VHT 2:50:2 and it is AMAZINGLY good. Plenty of punch, plenty of bottom-end and clarity.. like the other guy said, kinda pissed with myself for not having gotten one sooner. I've had 3 different Matrix amps and found them to be better for the FRFR stuff because they're solid state.

But it's horses for courses.. some guys will say the Matrix is the best, others will say differently.. If you like tube power and tube sound presence, then there's your answer. It might be hard but if you get an opportunity to A/B them, that'd be a ideal. If not, trust your gut.

I have had both and I will take tube power every time for sure. I traded someone on the forum my Matrix for their 2:90 and the 2:90 is WAY better in my opinion. He has since gotten rid of the Matrix and went to a standard head and cab. I think the 2:90, or any tube power amp, reacts much more naturally with a cab and the Axe into the 2:90 into a cab is incredible! Now I collect cabs and speakers the way some people collect IRs. :) At low volumes I leave power amp modeling on and get great results there too. Some people LOVE the Matrix and sing its praises, but to me it's not the same feeling as a tube amp.

I still love FRFR too, but sometimes I need that 'amp in the room' fix and the tube power amp gives it to me perfectly.

Mesa 2:90 is a really great sounding amp, but it comes at a cost. Price new is double. Matrix is $750, 2:90 is $1500, plus if you play out a lot you can tag on another $200 or so every 1 to 2 years for new tubes (3 x 12AX7 + 8 x 6L6GC). Flip side is the Mesa will hold its value and have a better resale if needed. Weight is also more than triple. Matrix is 9 lbs. Mesa 2:90 is 35 lbs. Better or worse is up to the buyer, but these are certainly things to consider.

Thank you guys for the quick responses!! Your opinions made me want to try both of'em! Fortunately the used price of the old version 2:90 is the same to that of matrix in my country.:) I decided to get both of them. It'll be more clear after having enough test!

Cool! Best way to figure things out. Well maybe not for the bank account but still. Let us know how it goes.

I have a Triaxis/2:90 setup that I have had for 16 years and initially I used the Axe with the 2:90 into a 4x12 cab. It sounded great but what I found is that no matter what amp I selected in the Axe, it pretty much sounded the same. I then tried the FRFR thing with a CLR first(Too much high end and HIFI sounding for me), a Mackie DLM12(better but still not good) and finally an Xitone 2x12 that I used with a solid state PA(Carvin DCM1540L). Out of all of those, the Xitone/SSPA was my favorite sounding setup but still didn't really do it for me. Finally, I ended up buying a pair of Studio Monitors (Presonus Eris E8's) and this was the sound I was looking for! I still own the Triaxis/2:90 but it has sat in the closet since I got the Axe. I also still own the Carvin PA but don't use it much anymore as I don't gig and I sold my 4x12. Obviously you cant gig with studio monitors but I'm past the point of wanting to be in a band, I'm just a bedroom player that plays for my own enjoyment.

Just be aware that a tube power amp will add its own coloration to every amp model you select (in addition to the model's power amp coloration if you leave PA modeling enabled), whereas the Matrix will not.

I think you will get a more true representation of the model by using a Matrix... But lots of people are perfectly happy using a tube power amp, too.
Very true.

Had them both (and few others).
They are both great!
The 2:90 is a little more "roar" more "brutal" and as mentioned it is coloring the sound but in a good way IMO.
However, I'm a gigging musician (from time to time) and wanted to take full control on the power amp parameters as well as FRFR and the weight….oooo god this thing is a beast so ended up selling it for a Matrix.
I'm very happy with the Matrix, don’t have to care about tubes etc, very reliable amp BTW, from my experience even more than the 2:90, it survived things my 2:90 didn't.
If I could afford, I would love to have them both.
My 2 c.

Back
Top Bottom