1st live gig with FM9

Tigerfish

Inspired
It sounds really good. My takeaway is don't let the CPU load go over 70%, otherwise switching functions become too slow. Looper not starting when the switch is pressed, black screens when switching layouts... and I do like not having to carry and set up an Axe-Fx III and a pedalboard. Just have to get my head around the "lightweight presets" thing, I guess. As a jazz player I don't use any factory presets. Thanks to Yek's notes on the amps and Cliff's explanation of advanced features I have been able to dial in some great tones. And I don't need all those amazing fx - just find them hard to resist.

FW 1.0 or 2.0b?

My main preset runs about 78-83% depending on the scene. Assuming you are using scenes, have you checked the CPU on every scene you use?

I ask because (as mentioned in the other thread) after several months of using it like that it I haven't experienced any of that except under extreme CPU load.

Maybe post a preset that you were experiencing issues with?

Sounds are great, in my opinion, too. Indistinguishable from the Axe Fx III to me.

For a gigging replacement for the Axe Fx III + FC-12 it's a great choice... Assuming you can run what you need within the CPU constraints.

this was the preset. Definitely under 80%. Definitely too slow for live use. Going forward, I am assuming a CPU budget of <75%, aiming for <70%. This is probably not your sound, but nonetheless I would really appreciate knowing how it behaves on your rig.

Attachments

• 386_Myka Jazzy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 10
this was the preset. Definitely under 80%. Definitely too slow for live use. Going forward, I am assuming a CPU budget of <75%, aiming for <70%. This is probably not your sound, but nonetheless I would really appreciate knowing how it behaves on your rig.
I'll try to check it out. Which FW version? I'll probably update to the beta tomorrow at least to give it a spin for a bit.

FW 2 beta - thanks. Just interested to see if you get the same laggy response to the switches that I did. It was a bit chilly, but...

I finally got a chance to load this up and I can confirm that it does seem to either not change scenes sometimes or take a very long time to do so.

On initial load into my unit it looked ok. CPU is about 77-78% but there 1.0.1 FM9-EDIT (not the latest version) was ok... That was in the default scene (7).

I changed to scene 1... The editor started "spinning" and the eventually became unresponsive.

I shut down the editor and just tried some scene changes between random scenes and saw various levels of speed when changing scenes. Watching the home screen and the button LEDs, both would often lag behind the sound changing, which itself was often lagging.

Since the editor was making it a challenge I imported into my Axe Fx III to poke around.

On a hunch I decided to see what kind of Controllers were in use. I found the Pitch Follower on both Filter blocks and several Scene Controllers on various Amp block parameters.

So, I re-imported the preset on the FM9 and removed ALL controllers to test. After that it was much more responsive and no issues with the editor, although scene changes were still lagging slightly.

I paused FM9-EDIT and then it was totally normal.

So... This seems to be related in some way to controllers.

I finally got a chance to load this up and I can confirm that it does seem to either not change scenes sometimes or take a very long time to do so.

On initial load into my unit it looked ok. CPU is about 77-78% but there 1.0.1 FM9-EDIT (not the latest version) was ok... That was in the default scene (7).

I changed to scene 1... The editor started "spinning" and the eventually became unresponsive.

I shut down the editor and just tried some scene changes between random scenes and saw various levels of speed when changing scenes. Watching the home screen and the button LEDs, both would often lag behind the sound changing, which itself was often lagging.

Since the editor was making it a challenge I imported into my Axe Fx III to poke around.

On a hunch I decided to see what kind of Controllers were in use. I found the Pitch Follower on both Filter blocks and several Scene Controllers on various Amp block parameters.

So, I re-imported the preset on the FM9 and removed ALL controllers to test. After that it was much more responsive and no issues with the editor, although scene changes were still lagging slightly.

I paused FM9-EDIT and then it was totally normal.

So... This seems to be related in some way to controllers.
Again, thanks for checking into this. I have taken an interim step of editing that preset on my III to lower the CPU load - the reading on the III appears to be ≈10% lower than that on the FM9 for the same preset. I could live without the Scene Controllers: that was an apparently unfortunate experiment in supplementing switching on a Drive block. The Pitch Controllers on the Filters are intended to do something one often sees jazz guitarists doing in performance, which is fiddle with the tone knob. Hundreds of hours of tweaking various tone controls in the signal path have failed to find a "perfect" balance between smooth, fat unwound strings and muddy bass notes. I adopted the Pitch Controller from something or other that Leon Todd posted and for me it works great. But not, apparently, on the FM9. Or not yet. As that is intended almost exclusively for live performance, switch lag is not acceptable. But with Omicron looming, no gigs for the moment so I can wait and see what the wizards of Fractal come up in the way of optimized code.

Again, thanks for checking into this. I have taken an interim step of editing that preset on my III to lower the CPU load - the reading on the III appears to be ≈10% lower than that on the FM9 for the same preset. I could live without the Scene Controllers: that was an apparently unfortunate experiment in supplementing switching on a Drive block. The Pitch Controllers on the Filters are intended to do something one often sees jazz guitarists doing in performance, which is fiddle with the tone knob. Hundreds of hours of tweaking various tone controls in the signal path have failed to find a "perfect" balance between smooth, fat unwound strings and muddy bass notes. I adopted the Pitch Controller from something or other that Leon Todd posted and for me it works great. But not, apparently, on the FM9. Or not yet. As that is intended almost exclusively for live performance, switch lag is not acceptable. But with Omicron looming, no gigs for the moment so I can wait and see what the wizards of Fractal come up in the way of optimized code.
You might want to try just removing the controllers on the Amp block and see if that works well enough for you. I wasn't being surgical in my tests... Just whacking away ;)

I'm sure this will get sorted out.

Strongly suggest sending the original un-pruned preset to support, with a description of the issues you and unix are seeing, see what they say. At minimum, they should be aware that this can happen. It's more likely to improve if they see it.

FW 1.0 or 2.0b?

My main preset runs about 78-83% depending on the scene. Assuming you are using scenes, have you checked the CPU on every scene you use?

I ask because (as mentioned in the other thread) after several months of using it like that it I haven't experienced any of that except under extreme CPU load.

Maybe post a preset that you were experiencing issues with?

Sounds are great, in my opinion, too. Indistinguishable from the Axe Fx III to me.

For a gigging replacement for the Axe Fx III + FC-12 it's a great choice... Assuming you can run what you need within the CPU constraints.
I too am 4 gigs in with riunning at 78-83% and Zero issues. 1.0 FM though(gigging NYE and do not want to risk a beta....or beeta as our boy Leon Todd jabs from time to time!

Seems like a bug. Did you report it?
There's no Bug forum yet for FM9, but it wouldn't hurt to create a new thread with "Bug" in the title.

I did create a post in the FM9 beta firmware thread and reference my post above.

If I get time today I will try to "refine" the issue a bit more and open a Bug thread with the details.

Back
Top Bottom