1st Fly Date with Junior.

teejay

Inspired
Played at the Darwin Cup Gala which is supposedly the biggest outdoor seated dining event in the Southern Hemisphere. A little over 3500 people.

The gig was great! Mainly due to the fact that i was able to take my full rig! I use the Axe FX Ultra and Shure PSM In Ear Monitoring. You can see by the stage pic my Gator Studio2Go bag which everything fits in. It was a little heavy and cumbersome carrying it through the airport but the tradeoff is that i was able to carry it on the aircraft without checking it in as baggage. Might explore an option with wheels before i fly again next week. :D

Attachments

• stage long.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 644
  • stage lit.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 644
  • stage rig small.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 645
Nice !

Are you using the FS-5U for tap tempo ? Is it hooked up with a regular stereo cable ?

VegaBaby said:
Nice !

Are you using the FS-5U for tap tempo ? Is it hooked up with a regular stereo cable ?
Yes, it is for Tap Tempo. I found that assigning an on board Tap Tempo was a little hard to get to without accidentally hitting other switches particularly considering that i use Tap Tempo to sync EVERYTHING from Delay to all my Modulation FX so i need something handy.

It is Patched to the LF Jr with a special cable that is essentially a Mono cable with a TRS (stereo) plug on one end. I don't know why but this is the only way the LF Jr will allow you to use a momentary switch.

teejay said:
VegaBaby said:
Nice !

Yes, it is for Tap Tempo. I found that assigning an on board Tap Tempo was a little hard to get to without accidentally hitting other switches particularly that i use Tap Tempo to sync everything from Delay to all my Modulation FX so i need something handy.

It is Patched to the LF Jr with a special cable that is essentially a Mono cable with a TRS (stereo) plug on one end. I don't know why but this is the only way the LF Jr will allow you to use a momentary switch.
Ahh...interesting ! I'm using one of those Boss FS-6 switches directly into the Axe at the moment (still waiting for the MFC and not doing a lot of live stuff at the moment) and it works fine with a stereo cable, but read something along the lines that you described in the LF manual.

VegaBaby said:
teejay said:
VegaBaby said:
Nice !

Yes, it is for Tap Tempo. I found that assigning an on board Tap Tempo was a little hard to get to without accidentally hitting other switches particularly that i use Tap Tempo to sync everything from Delay to all my Modulation FX so i need something handy.

Ahh...interesting ! I'm using one of those Boss FS-6 switches directly into the Axe at the moment (still waiting for the MFC and not doing a lot of live stuff at the moment) and it works fine with a stereo cable, but read something along the lines that you described in the LF manual.
Yeah, struck me as a little odd but it was no real big deal for anyone who's handled a soldering iron. I just cut a 3 ft hot line cable in half and then soldered a TRS plug on the opposite end of each half so now i have a an extra one if i ever decide to add another pedal or a spare otherwise.

teejay said:
VegaBaby said:
Nice !

......i use Tap Tempo to sync EVERYTHING from Delay to all my Modulation FX so i need something handy.

Looks like a great gig. Thanks for the post and pics!

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I would love to hear how and why you use tap tempo the way you do. Reason being, I've never really used or embraced tap tempo function and know I'm missing out on some great opportunities as a result.

If you have time, perhaps you wouldn't mind discussing this on another thread?

I thought I was seeing my future there (other than the amazing environment for that gig). I just bought the same wireless you're using and used it at a gig last night and it worked great. I just bought the exact Boss switch you have there. I convinced myself earlier today, partly in response to a description you made of a way to use the LF Jr. to get one of those and ditch my Behringer. I use tap tempo now with my Behringer controller similarly, with the times of various effects sync'd to tempo so I can set the tremolo rate or delay time by tapping which beats the hell out of having to make completely different presets for every different use of the same effect.

To the person who asked how, you have to set the CC for the tap tempo parameter in the IO-CTRL menu based on whatever you're using to do the tapping, then in delay or tremolo (or chorus/flange/phase) set the tempo parameter to whatever relationship to the tempo that you want. Done. Tap away and enjoy the flexibility it gives you.

Thanks for leading the way in setup there. Those are great shots and I'm really looking forward to getting a LF Jr. Wish I could join you with IEM's, but I don't play in enough situations where I could use it to justify them - yet.

Mike

hey teejay, great venue, congrats..

But one question - HOW can you play guitar with THAT view-

;)

Warrior said:
teejay said:
VegaBaby said:
Nice !

......i use Tap Tempo to sync EVERYTHING from Delay to all my Modulation FX so i need something handy.

Looks like a great gig. Thanks for the post and pics!

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I would love to hear how and why you use tap tempo the way you do. Reason being, I've never really used or embraced tap tempo function and know I'm missing out on some great opportunities as a result.

If you have time, perhaps you wouldn't mind discussing this on another thread?
Well, think of it this way... imagine a nice glassy clean tone with a little bit of delay and chorus... sounds nice right?.. but it sounds truly magic when the delay repeats are tinkling back in time with your picking and the chorus is sweeping in sync as opposed to random shimmers. Same with the likes of phasers and flangers. Having the sweep peak/turnaround on the beat just sounds right to me. And of course, percussive delays will just simply sound wrong unless they are synced..
For me it's definitely the different between sounding like your guitar is in the song as opposed to just playing on top of the song.... hope that explains it a little.

T

dongrosh said:
hey teejay, great venue, congrats..

But one question - HOW can you play guitar with THAT view-

;)
I'm so drunk when i play that i can't see the view.... :lol: Nah, only kidding!

Truth is, the whole band have become great friends over the years... at first it was a bit of a novelty to have hot chicks on stage but the fact that everyone genuinely enjoys being on stage together gives us that remarkable chemistry that exudes fun... We do a LOT of huge events and blue chip functions all over Australia and Internationally and we're really just a cover band however we're pretty much at the top of our game as far as cover bands are concerned and I believe that a large factor of our success as a band is aside that each member is good at what they do, the stage presence is electrifying and the crowds we play feed off that... and that's a rare thing for a cover band IMO.

Hey Teejay,

Nice rig, Nice Gig! I totally know what you mean about carrying that stuff though airports getting heavy. Sacrifices for tone! :) That's why I stopped carrying that Gator Back Pack. It got too heavy for me.
If you find a good rolling luggage cart that is still carry on size. Please let me know.

That morley and that Boss pedal are adding to your weight also. I started using the Roland EV-5 pedals just cause they aren't as heavy. They may not last long but my back and arms will. :)

Glad that you got your rig together.

Larry

Larry Mitchell said:
Hey Teejay,

Nice rig, Nice Gig! I totally know what you mean about carrying that stuff though airports getting heavy. Sacrifices for tone! :) That's why I stopped carrying that Gator Back Pack. It got too heavy for me.
If you find a good rolling luggage cart that is still carry on size. Please let me know.

That morley and that Boss pedal are adding to your weight also. I started using the Roland EV-5 pedals just cause they aren't as heavy. They may not last long but my back and arms will. :)

Glad that you got your rig together.

Larry
Hey Larry, well, since that gig i have modified the bag by replacing the plastic stoppers on the base with small castors. I gave it a trial at a local show a couple of nights ago and i think it's going to be great. As for the Wah and Boss Pedal, they actually go in my Guitar Flight Case which was custom made with extra storage. My X2 Wireless also goes in there. I'll be flying again next weekend so i'll be able to give my new wheels a decent spin! ;)

MikeyB59 said:
I just bought the same wireless you're using and used it at a gig last night and it worked great.
I am considering that same wireless too but was wondering if you can rackmount it too? Do you find that you are regularly adjusting and monitoring all the controls and lights on the top of the unit or are they more of a set it and forget it kind of thing? Thanks

Looks very cool.

Now use a 0.5m cable from your wireless to the axe instead of 25m and you save another 700grams in your luggage :mrgreen:

Ringleader said:
MikeyB59 said:
I just bought the same wireless you're using and used it at a gig last night and it worked great.
I am considering that same wireless too but was wondering if you can rackmount it too? Do you find that you are regularly adjusting and monitoring all the controls and lights on the top of the unit or are they more of a set it and forget it kind of thing? Thanks
It's pretty much set and forget. You generally don't need to mess with channels etc... Mind you, i have contacted WaveAngle http://www.waveangle.com/ about their wireless systems in the hope that i may scale down my rig even more... ;)
hunter said:
Looks very cool.

Now use a 0.5m cable from your wireless to the axe instead of 25m and you save another 700grams in your luggage :mrgreen:
In my experience, wireless units are not that trustworthy. I use a regular guitar cable in to the wireless so at any time i can plug in direct should the wireless fail...

voes said:
Teejay, just curious but why don't you use the AXE-FX WAH?
There are several reasons... I just love the Bad Horsie and have used one for about 15 years or so.
1/ I can't live without a spring loaded wah. There are wah techniques that you simply can't do with a regular wah..
2/ I love the tone! I own about 5 or 6 wahs and nothing comes close to the tone in my opinion... I use the contour function for a different tone.
3/ Auto on/off. I know the Axe can also do the same but the BH switching is seamless....
4/ The travel of the treadle (what a mouthful) is perfect for me. I prefer the feel of this wah to any other wah i've ever used.

That's about it. Either way i would need to carry an Expression pedal if i didn't have my Wah so this suits me fine.

T

teejay said:
Mind you, i have contacted WaveAngle http://www.waveangle.com/ about their wireless systems in the hope that i may scale down my rig even more... ;)
Wow. Thanks for the tip on this one. Really curious to see how it performs as this would be perfect. It looks a bit cheesy but I'm from Wisconsin so I'm used to cheese. :lol: No cable/wall wart hassles at all and 20 hours of battery life on one AAA per transmitter and receiver!!! As long as it has decent A/D-D/A converters and no latency I don't see how this one can be topped - especially for a MSRP of $299. Please post a new thread if you get one!

EDIT: After looking again, I hope that receiver fits into the Axe front input. Looks like it might be a tight fit next to the front handle on the Axe.

Hey TeeJay,

do the same thing with my wireless (I leave a 20 foot cable connected to the receiver just in case the wireless drops out). I have not really had to use it in a show. I have had that happen in a couple of rehearsals though. But it's good to ready just incase. I'm using the older smaller X2 and it's working really well. I am not sure if it is legal in Europe though.

That Wave Angle wireless you brought up is interesting. There isn't the option of leaving a cable connected just incase. But it's size and description is appealing. Please keep us posted on your experiences if you get one.

Thanks for the link

Larry

Back
Top Bottom