11.05 Check to make sure your Global Power Amp modelling is ON!

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
Ok, so i've been rolling with 11.05 for a bit and wasn't sure why things sounded strange. Today, just randomly, I went to the Global page and to my horror the Power Amp modelling was set to OFF! I turned it on and like magic everything was amazing! So. Everyone who upgraded to 11.05 should check to make sure their Global Power Amp modelling wasn't incorrectly set to OFF after they upgraded. I'm sure I'm not the only one this happened to. :)

I once made the mistake of playing a gig with Power Amp modelling OFF. I think it was when the menu layout changed (FW 9 or so) and I switched the wrong thing... I'd meant to turn Cabs off since I run a 1x12. The first few songs I couldn't figure out what was wrong... levels and gain were all over the map! And I was playing a different guitar than usual, my Ibanez Artist (Scofield type), so my bandmates thought that was the problem and that a hollow-body couldn't rock. After I figured out the problem, I went back to the Ibanez just to prove that it could ;-)

I forgot to exit tuner mode once right before a set and could not figure out why I had no signal... was in a panic... that was fun ;)

I forgot to exit tuner mode once right before a set and could not figure out why I had no signal... was in a panic... that was fun ;)

I was at a showcase in Nashville. It was a pro guitar side man trying to break into being the talent.

He left a stomp box tuner on and couldn't figure out why he couldn't get sound from his acoustic guitar. After an awkward scramble, he just went into the song with no ac guitar sound. His tech realized finally what was up and came out on stage and turned off his tuner during the tune :)

I sometimes connect my headphones to the PreSonus Firestudio-interface and forget to pan the two outputs left and right. Then I always ask myself: "Why does my mix sound like sh*t?" :lol

I was opening for Journey last month in Texas and I forgot to turn back on my Amp Sims. It was scary, but Neil and I laughed after the show over a few coctails. I got it figured out and the show was a huge sucess.

P.S. I just like to sound cool/important like all of you guys since I am just a Commercial Banker.

Last edited:
Is Global Power AMp Modeling supposed to always be set to ON? I haven't used it yet, but maybe it is programmed into several patches already?

Is Global Power AMp Modeling supposed to always be set to ON? I haven't used it yet, but maybe it is programmed into several patches already?
That is the whole point of the OP - YES, IT SHOULD BE ON - That is if you are not using 4CM/actual tube power amp.
And to think, you may not have even heard how good your AXF sounds yet.

Just to make it clear, this is a "global" parameter - it isn't something you set per patch. It's either on or off... :)

After one of the firmware updates, mine sounded really off. I read a post about this and checked. Global Power Amp Modeling was showing 'on'. Just for the heck of it I cycled it off and then back on. Boom, way better.

I don't know if that was a bug with only that firmware version, but I do this with every update now.

I was opening for Journey last month in Texas and I forgot toturn back on my Amp Sims. It was scary, but Neil and I laughed after the show over a few coctails. I got it figured out and the show was a huge sucess.

P.S. I just like to sound cool/important like all of you guys since I am just a Commercial Banker.

One of the funniest posts that I've seen in a while..........Thanks TexasAxeSlinger

I can't wait until I go home and check ifd it is ON? I am also getting a 2013 Music Man LUKE today that I bought off Ebay. I usually play Ibanez and lately a few Charevels.
I have the Old LUKE II form like 13 years ago with a Floyd Rose that came in Pearl Red (Purple), or Blue. The one I am getting is a cool Blue color. I had a love hate with them, play amazing, but they are tiny guitars, but after playing my LUKE last Night on the AXE (Re-Learned Beat It Solo, a great solo in my opinion and fun to play), they are nice guitars and really heavy, which I like. This one is the same pick up configeration as my 13 year old one, with EMG's too, but has a fixed bridge. The poor guy bought 4 and was holding on to collect them and got hit by a driver on his landscaping trailer, so while he's going through the legal mess, he had to get rid of some guitars. He paid $1,875 and I bought it for $1,250 shipped to Texas.

Sorry to slip off topic a bit. I'm also having lunch with Neil Peart from RUSH this afternoon. Me and Neil go way back and of course, and since he is slightly shy, he let's me do most of the talking during lunch. He usually has the Baked Chicken and I get a Cheeseburger....:roll Sorry, I forgot to make my medication this morning.

Here is the New Axe that should be delivered Today to my Bank. I am sure I am the coolest Banker this side of the Mississippi. How many Bankers today will get a guitar delivered to their work, AND, have an AXE-FX II sitting at their house? Probably not many.

$T2eC16VHJHIFFhj,0IZoBR8YWi1(LQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!lcFHt,)M11tBR8YWjNNN!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16h,!yEE9s5jHQH5BR8YWtTpS!~~60_57.JPG

Thanks rsf !!! I checked, mine is on but I would not have looked if the OP had not said this here.:encouragement:

BTW Tex, nice looking guitar!

How many Bankers today will get a guitar delivered to their work, AND, have an AXE-FX II sitting at their house? Probably not many.

Actually, all of my bankers play guitar, have lunch with Neil, and use FAS Axe. If they are not cool enough to do that, why would I trust them with my money?

I have had my AFX-II for over 2 months, but really haven't dove into the depths of programming or anything besides basic tweaking of parameters, but I KNOW it can do so much more. I JUST looked at the Global settings NOW, and mine is ON. I also got my guitar today, opened case to look at it, it's brand new! Has hang Tag, all the stuff in the case isn't even open yet, the seal is still sealed. He told me I would be MORE than happy when I got it and he was right.

I got lucky on this and lucky the guy was so nice and cool. He is 56 years old and said he hated to sell it. I told him you can buy another, it's not like these are RARE. he said this color is hard to find. He even shipped it in the Music Man Box it came in.

I will play it tomorrow as I am digging the OLD Luke II now and am playing the Beat It Solo so I am using the whammy. The tricky part is after the first tapping section, especially if you don't tap as it is a monster stretch from 12 to 19. I forget how good Eddie Van Halen was (is, whatever). His old stuff is amazing and he is a great rhythm player too. Thanks again for keeping us aware of possible issues with the AFX-II.

I STILL would really love to have someone, or FA, do a video manual, or something that goes into the main areas you should have a good grasp of, as well as some more in depth programming and tricks. I know the best way is to mess with it, but for guys that have family and a 4 year old daughter, it's hard to spend hours learning. I am just happy to have a chance to play it. Here is my new little office set up at home.

I use the Equator D5's for the AFX when I am playing along with the PreSonus E8 studio monitors that I use for my computer. When I ONLY play guitar, I use the pre Sonus E8's as they sound way better than the Equator D5's. I am CLOSE to getting 1 Atomic
Active Powered Wedge as they are about to be in stock in 2-3 weeks, AND, I am ready for the New MFC-101 Floor Board as they have been sold out since I got my AFX-II 2-3 months back. Must be nice for Atomic and Fractal to have people waiting in line to buy their gear.

Hey, I see Geezer is in Ft. Worth, not too far from me in Flower Mound Area. Are you good with the AFX-II? Maybe we can have a informal jam session/ basic tutorial one day?

Take Care Guys.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom