-10 dBv or +4 dBu ???

Yeah, kinda sounds like it to me as well...
Like I said, my FM9 gain staging seems in order. I don't see how I can gain stage the QSC. So, if the FM9 pad (+4 vs -10) is causing the issue, that is NOT cool.

I actually thought the Yamaha DHR 12M sounded better than the DXR10. But seemingly better than both and right under the QSC is the Mackie SRM 210. I am aware Mackie has not been a significant "hi end" player for years, but this model sounds very good powering the FM9 and carries a similar 6 year warranty to QSC. Our band is using SRM 212s for fronts, they seem fine. I think the writing is on the wall, no QSCs for me. As I also said, I'm weary from the research. Wasted time. But I really tried to keep the faith

Never tried Mackie but I have a few of their mixers and love em.

My band has a few of the older Mackie monitors and they work fine, but are the older generation, kinda chunky and heavy, so we are using my Yamahas for gigs, the Mackie stay in the garage...

Never tried Mackie but I have a few of their mixers and love em.

My band has a few of the older Mackie monitors and they work fine, but are the older generation, kinda chunky and heavy, so we are using my Yamahas for gigs, the Mackie stay in the garage...
We use some older ex-rental SRM 350s for vocal monitors when we play live. The new gen SRM 210 and 212 are pretty slick. But I do note that they have fancy (beneficial??) onboard DSP/ software including the following:

Transparent System Limiting and Protection

• Dedicated processing module monitors and protects the amplifier in real time
  • Sound quality and tonal balance is maintained even under heavy limiting
  • Utilizing powerful multi-band compression, the amplifier can target specific frequency ranges to prevent the system from being overloaded rather than turn everything down at the expense of overall output
  • Input limiting keeps your source signal in check so if your sending audio that’s a bit too hot, the speaker will cool it down

Related question, different gear: I have my FM9 plugged into a ART SLA-1 power amp which is plugged into a 8-ohm Marshall cab. According to the SLA-1's owner's manual, the input sensitivity is "1V for Full Power Output into 8 Ω". So, should my FM9 be set to -10 dBv or +4 dBu?

If you Google -10dBv vs +4 dBu you will unearth some technical articles/ documents. There is some math, obviously, for the conversion between u and v. Maybe you can glean some info. My uneducated opinion is that it should run at +4, it's pro gear. I am being very diligent about gain staging the FM9 for best results. Out 1 block has good meters that are duplicated elsewhere in the hardware. Amp block level is critical as far as I know and is a good (best) place to adjust output levels as it doesn't mess with FX mix, etc. I bet you are happy with the sound? Which cab/ speakers are you using?

Cab is a Marshall stereo 4x12 with WGS Invaders (50W). Yeah, love the tones with this combo. I don't gig, so the SLA-1 is fine for home use. I'll set the FM9 to +4. Thanks for replying - appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom