10.03 Marshall Clips with Ownhammer Scumback IRs

xpenno

Power User
Hi all,

A couple of people have asked me to post presets of a couple of my new tones that I have been working on for the Plexi1 and JCM800. Although my presets are pretty simple I thought I'd try and add a little detail to surround them just on the off-chance that it helps someone out :)

I have attached 2 presets here both of which are very similar setups and the direct recordings to match. I mainly play a Les Paul Standard into my Axe and my live monitor is an FBT verve 12ma (a great cab IMHO)

Anyway here goes....

Plexi1

I heard Pete Thorn playing his new plexi over on Huge Racks and he said he had everything crank'd and this is my take on the crank's old school Marshall tone. For me the key to this tone is the crank'd master and the lowish gain setting which gives more power amp distortion. Tones controls are up at 8 which too me sounds about right. Presence is on -3 as I've never been a great fan of lots of presence, for the record on these type of amps I treat the presence knob as -10 = 0 and +10 = 10 on a normal amp, this is what I prefer. The only other setting in the amp block I remember changing is the Spkr Res Freq. I played around and for the IR used here I was feeling it worked best at 90hz but I have no idea if this is "right or wrong".

JCM800

This is my standard rock Marshall tone. I love my GNR etc.. so it's along those lines I guess.

Again the master is up fairly high at 7.5 to give a nice power amp breakup. I knocked the input gain down a little and again the presence is down at -3. The only other settings I changed are the low cut to remove some of the boom I was getting and the speaker res freq again set to 90hz which seems to work for me with the IR.

From here on the chain and concepts are pretty similar in all of my patches.

Cab is a straight up mono block with the Ownhammer M75 Scumback SM57 Pos 3 IR.

For these patches I went back to a room reverb setting I used to use a year or so ago. It's a md room verb with the mix at 20% and the verb level at -22db or so and the early level up at -8db. For me this seems to give the amp room to breath a little, helps it fit in the mix. I find it hard to put into words so give it a go both in and out of the chain, I like the effect but some might not.

Next in the chain is a filter which specifically removes a strange frequency around 700hz which was booming a little too much at loud volumes. If I was recording then I'd probably remove this and edit in my daw but I leave it in for live use and this is what these presets are primarily for. I use the filter as it allows for a Q of up to 10 for more surgical work.

The last filter I used to use was always a lowpass filter but I found that I was loosing too much air in my tone so I now use a shelf between 7000-8500hz and vary the cut on a per amp/cab basis in conjunction with the presence knob on the amp. The cut can be anywhere from -1db to -8db depending on the amp/cab combo in question. The highshelf works well for me as it allows the highs through but at a reduced level that is easier on the ears at loud volumes. I disabled it here and for recoding but for live use it is on by default.

Everything else is pretty straight forward but if I did miss anything then feel free to ask :)

Here are the new clips to go with the patches.

Plexi1
JCM800

Regards

Spence

Attachments

• Plexi1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 309
  • Jcm800.syx
    2 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Great Marshall tones you got here!! Classic LesPaul through Marshall stack, sounds really tubey! And those Ownhammer Ir sounds full, I should check them out. How would you compare those IR to Redwire and the stock cabs? Great job anyway!!

Thanks Spence.

EDIT: just played a bit with the Ownhammer IRs. Kind of comparable to the Red Wirez (transparant) I think, but smoother, and less bass it seems.

No additional EQ-ing necessary to deal with the bass tones with these Ownhammers?

Last edited:
Great Marshall tones you got here!! Classic LesPaul through Marshall stack, sounds really tubey! And those Ownhammer Ir sounds full, I should check them out. How would you compare those IR to Redwire and the stock cabs? Great job anyway!!

I have to say that at the moment I am preferring the Ownhammer cabs for Marshall tones, not really spent much time with the other cabs. The Redwires are cool and for someone who knows about mic placement in the real world the endless options are probably awesome. For a relative simpleton like me the Ownhammer are great as there are a limited number of choices but most of them produce a great tone. I'm not finding myself getting bogged down in what technically should sound good because of a type of mic or a certain position/distance from the cab. I wizz through the collection and find the best starting point and then move from there. I also think that the Ownhammer collection is more balanced and doesn't have as many 'rough edges' as the RW sets. I love the stock cabs as well and if Ownhammer didn't exist I would probably be using these over Redwires as they work better and again seem smoother for want of a better word.

Spence

Thanks Spence.

EDIT: just played a bit with the Ownhammer IRs. Kind of comparable to the Red Wirez (transparant) I think, but smoother, and less bass it seems.

No additional EQ-ing necessary to deal with the bass tones with these Ownhammers?

I agree. The Ownhammer cabs sound roomy, smooth and even. I don't get this from the majority of the Redwires cabs. It really is down to personal preference though. I hear clips from the likes of Scott Peterson and Clark Kent, just to mention a couple, and I love listening to the results. When I dial in the cabs and patch the tones do not work for me in my setup. The Ownhammer Scumbacks do and I'm as happy as I have ever been with with AxeFX. AGAIN!

Spence

Sounds great - really really good.

I like the OwnHammer IR's; they are limited in choices compared to the Red Wire, but they work well. I like choices; so I own (*and use) both collections! :D

I bought the M75 and the Mills, every simple patch i created today sounds great with almost no tweaks. Instant great sounds!

Thanks for this guide and the clips, you made my day, really. Haven't tried your patches yet but that jcm800 clip made me wet my pants when i first heard it...then i knew i was missing something good, and for my surprise, not expensive at all.

Thanks again, cheers!

Sounds great - really really good.

I like the OwnHammer IR's; they are limited in choices compared to the Red Wire, but they work well. I like choices; so I own (*and use) both collections! :D

IMO there are far more choices in the OwnHammer IR's.

I don't know what it is but I've spent a lot of time blending Redwirez IR's and trying to find good IR's going through all the mics and positions etc. Then when I load them to my Axe-Fx after about 3-5 hours of work I compare them to Axe-Fx stock cabs and the Redwirez cabs sound either muffled and boxy or stingy and boxy. Using the air control got me where I wanted to be with the Redwirez in the end. But still I always went back to stock Recto1,2 and German cab. The Lawson mic was my favorite one in the Redwirez collection.

I can honestly say that I used 15min to choose which OwnHammer IR's I liked the most and I've never been happier with my Axe-Fx. I even did the comparing thing with the stock cabs and the OwnHammer cabs passed. And I didn't even try all the OwnHammer IR's. I just checked through all of the SM57 IR's and realized I could use all of them and chose the one that was in balance flatness-wise. (same amount of highs and lows in the spectrum) What happened then? Well let's start with saying I never got a Marshall tone that I was happy with until now. I'm still in honeymoon phase so will have to see how things are later on. But let's just say that my honeymoon with Redwirez was extremely shot. 5h of trying to get it right and failing was enough. Sorry RW but I'm just being honest.

Dude! I registered just to tell you how amazingly Marshall-y your JCM800 patch was. I was just checking out videos of the new Marshall Slash AFD100, and your patch was a carbon copy of it. Excellent job there.

Dude! I registered just to tell you how amazingly Marshall-y your JCM800 patch was. I was just checking out videos of the new Marshall Slash AFD100, and your patch was a carbon copy of it. Excellent job there.

icon11.png
Wow that's a massive compliment thanks!

Spence

Thanks to everyone for their great comments. I love this community! I learn so much from others and I love sharing my take on what I have learned. Rock on!

Nice tones and chops, xpenno! Between your clips and Scott's and Kevin's(Ownhammer) great communication on here, I think I'll be using paypal REAL soon.

Back
Top Bottom