1 output to 1x12 1 output to FOH???

finstah

Many moons ago I spoke with Java on the phone and he walked me through how to setup both outputs on my Ultra so 1 goes out to my cabs and 1 goes to FOH. I remember something about adding a filter and then... course I could be way off base to start. :D

Anyone have any tips on this? Maybe wiki eligible?

Put a Cab Block as the last Block in your Layout.

Put an Effects Loop Block as the 2nd last Block in your layout.

Out 2 (the Axe's Effects Loop's Send) goes out to your power amp and guitar cab.
[Don't connect anything to the In 2 jack(s).]

Out 1, with the Cab Block active, goes to the PA.

finstah said:
Many moons ago I spoke with Java on the phone and he walked me through how to setup both outputs on my Ultra so 1 goes out to my cabs and 1 goes to FOH. I remember something about adding a filter and then... course I could be way off base to start. :D

Anyone have any tips on this? Maybe wiki eligible?
Dude! Rookie question!!! HELLO!!! ;)

joegold said:

Out 2 (the Axe's Effects Loop's Send) goes out to your power amp and guitar cab.

SO i connect the Out 2 to the fx return of the tube amp? or the input of the tube amp in clean channel?

decipher said:
joegold said:

SO i connect the Out 2 to the fx return of the tube amp? or the input of the tube amp in clean channel?

I thought you were asking about driving a power amp and cabs?
Hook up the axe's Out 2 any way you want.
But if you want to use your amp's power amp only, and it has an FX loop, then usually it's the FX loop Return that will be the best junction for the Power Amp In.

I'd never hook the Axe up myself to the front-end of a preamp unless I was just using the Axe's stomp-box sims. But I'm sure there's somebody out there who uses it like this.

joegold said:
decipher said:
joegold said:

I thought you were asking about driving a power amp and cabs?
Hook up the axe's Out 2 any way you want.
But if you want to use your amp's power amp only, and it has an FX loop, then usually it's the FX loop Return that will be the best junction for the Power Amp In.

I'd never hook the Axe up myself to the front-end of a preamp unless I was just using the Axe's stomp-box sims. But I'm sure there's somebody out there who uses it like this.

What would be the settings on the fx loop of the axe fx??

decipher said:
do exactly what the topic says ^^^

Then the default settings for the FXL Block should be fine.

Have you read the manual?
There's a discussion of this type of hook-up in there in the Tips And Tricks section, Using Your Axe-FX Live.

joegold said:
decipher said:
do exactly what the topic says ^^^

Then the default settings for the FXL Block should be fine.

Have you read the manual?
There's a discussion of this type of hook-up in there in the Tips And Tricks section, Using Your Axe-FX Live.

Using Your Axe-Fx Live
The Axe-Fx is designed with live performance in mind. For the ultimate in portability
you could simply plug your guitar into the Axe-Fx and then plug your Axe-Fx into
the P.A. mixing board. Send some signal to the mains and your monitor and you’ve
got great sound with minimum hassle.

A more complicated approach would be to send the fully processed sound to the
mixing board but tap off before the cabinet simulation and send that to a guitar amp
or separate power amp and guitar cabinet. To do this you can use the auxiliary
outputs of your Axe-Fx. Simply place the Effects Loop block as the second to last
block in your signal chain and the Cabinet Simulator as the last block. The signal
appearing at the OUTPUT 2 jacks will be perfectly suitable for driving a guitar amp
whereas the signal at the OUTPUT 1 jacks will be perfect for sending to the P.A.
system.

OK --I get it -- I think

1) typical patch
Using Powered FRFR Monitor or signal being sent to FOH
Wah - Drive - AMP - CABINET - CHORUS - DELAY - REVERB

2) Patch using FOH and Power amp (SLA2)
Wah - Drive - AMP - CHORUS - DELAY - REVERB - EFFECTS LOOP - CABINET

Using Patch 2 -- Output 1 goes to FOH/FRFR and output 2 goes to SLA2 -- correct?

OK so then why do most patches have a layout with effects after a cabinet and when you need to use a Loop (to send a signal to sla2) -- cab is recommended at end of chain ---- (cab- chorus - delay - reverb vs chorus - delay - reverb - cab)

Does cab location before or after effects in a patch make any difference?

LVC said:
OK --I get it -- I think

1) typical patch
Wah - Drive - AMP - CABINET - CHORUS - DELAY - REVERB

2) Patch using FOH and Power amp (SLA2)
Wah - Drive - AMP - CHORUS - DELAY - REVERB - EFFECTS LOOP - CABINET

Using Patch 2 -- Output 1 goes to FOH/FRFR and output 2 goes to SLA2 -- correct?

OK so then why do most patches have a layout with effects after a cabinet and when you need to use a Loop (to send a signal to sla2) -- cab is recommended at end of chain ---- (cab- chorus - delay - reverb vs chorus - delay - reverb - cab)

Does cab location before or after effects in a patch make any difference?

Correct.

Many people don't need two separate output signals. Like the ones that use FR monitoring (FOH signal is the same as monitor signal, with Cab sims). In those situations there's no specific reason to put the cab block at the end.

For those who do need a direct signal plus one without cab sims, a FXL followed by a cab block at the end is handy, because you can split the signal at the very end.

In most cases it doesn't matter where the cab block is, right after the amp or at the end of the routing. AFAIK it matters if you're using the Drive parameter in the Cab block.

Back
Top Bottom