1/2 step down tuning

rsvette12

Power User
Hi Guys I now have a dedicated guitar setup for 1/2 step down tuning - how do I use the small global tuner on main screen for that tuning - does it auto detect you are in 1/2 step tuning area or is there a setting I need to change

That said I have normal tuning and 1/2 step tuning needs - thanks much :)

I'm pretty sure it's a chromatic tuner so you would see the note name you're tuning to i.e. Eb, Bb, Gb, Db, Ab, Eb. However, I think Ares and later firmware has a control called Downtune(?) that allows you to select a lower tuning so that the natural note name appears on the tuner.

I set mine to display all flats (see wiki link above) which makes it easier for me when mixing tunings, so I just tune to EbAbDbGbBbEb

You can set it to sharps if you prefer so it would display D#G#C#F#A#D#.

I'm pretty sure it's a chromatic tuner so you would see the note name you're tuning to i.e. Eb, Bb, Gb, Db, Ab, Eb. However, I think Ares and later firmware has a control called Downtune(?) that allows you to select a lower tuning so that the natural note name appears on the tuner.
Only problem with that it is his normal tuning would then appear sharp no? (he said he wants both). That's why I don't use it.

Wow thanks kind folks - your the best :)

So if I'm correct all I do is just leave that mini tuner on main screen alone and tune just like if it was normal tuning ?

Manual says this: This control (firmware Ares and later) allows for simplified tuning when tuning down one to four semitones. The Tuner display will read the “natural” name of the note, i.e. if tuning down one semitone an Eb will read E

Yep, it's chromatic. It will show you the tuning range for whatever note it is closest to regardless of your tuning. The downtune parameter is for the note names displayed on the regular tuner screen. The mini tuner on the main screen doesn't show note names and is not affected by it. The downtune parameter has no impact on the note detection, only the label it shows you.

Some folks still refer to their strings by their standard tuning notes even when they are downtuned. So, even if they are tuned down to D standard, they still call their lowest string the low E. The downtune parameter lets you have the displayed note names offset so it still shows the standard tuning names.

Yep, it's chromatic. It will show you the tuning range for whatever note it is closest to regardless of your tuning. The downtune parameter is for the note names displayed on the regular tuner screen. The mini tuner on the main screen doesn't show note names and is not affected by it. The downtune parameter has no impact on the note detection, only the label it shows you.

Some folks still refer to their strings by their standard tuning notes even when they are downtuned. So, even if they are tuned down to D standard, they still call their lowest string the low E. The downtune parameter lets you have the displayed note names offset so it still shows the standard tuning names.

Thanks so much - perfect thats what I thought - I was comparing it with a hand held tuner to compare it they are close so thats what I thought was going on - fractal just makes life easy doesn't it :)

But what happens when you try to tune your standard tuned guitar(s)? Seems more fool-proof if your tuned-down guitar actually shows Eb, Ab, etc...

But what happens when you try to tune your standard tuned guitar(s)? Seems more fool-proof if your tuned-down guitar actually shows Eb, Ab, etc...
I agree. I have guitars in different tunings. I’ve never touched the tuner settings. Works as long as you know what each string should be in the tuning you are going for. And assuming a A440 reference.

Yeah, I think offsetting the note names is a bad idea. Better to learn the note names for what they are.

The one advantage is that it also offsets the detector for the pitch block, so if a song you normally play in standard tuning is too high for a singer's tired voice, you can downtune and then you won't need to adjust any of your pitch block harmonies, etc. to the new note names.

It seems to work for both Brother - when I plug in normal tuning guitar the tuner works the same way - both normal and 1/2 step down guitar work the same tuner wise I just tune each when the red line is in the middle on the mini tuner on face of unit - maybe Im missing something seems to be working correctly

Heres my amazing guitars what a blast to play - the black one is normal tuning - both prestige from Japan - Black is 2012 the honey color is 2014

windows screenshots tool

I just double checked 1/2 step and normal tuning I have a snark and a korg - confirmed the Fractal mini tuner works straight away - red line down the middle it knows what your trying to tune too cool stuff

Back
Top Bottom