“Biscuits and sausage gravy” or “shit on a shingle”?

Back in the '80s, there was a school lunch item we ate about once a week called "SOS" on the menu.
It was a scoop of mashed potatoes on top of a slice of fried bologna covered in brown gravy.

Edited to add: This was back in the day when we drank out of plastic cups and used actual silverware that were washed and re-used. We had the choice of water, apple or orange juice. For breakfast there was a milk dispenser.

Back in the '80s, there was a school lunch item we ate about once a week called "SOS" on the menu.
It was a scoop of mashed potatoes on top of a slice of fried bologna covered in brown gravy.

Cheapest “meal” in HS was 3 slices of wonder bread and questionable brown gravy for $0.15

Biscuits and gravy, if not a southern delicacy is a staple. Spam, steakums, bologna , dog food, vegan substitutes, etc = own thread.

My dad was Airforce and I’m a Marine. You could probably guess which we choose. We have had discussions about this before he passed. He is die hard shit on a shingle. He loved it in the air force. I don’t remember ever getting it but we did get biscuits and gravy with eggs at mid rats, midnight breakfast for us night crew jarheads. so you can guess my favorite. Funny how that works. Sausage gravy is easy I get a nice spicy breakfast sausage from our local locker, they make it there. Then fry it up take some grease and whole milk chopped up sausage and voila! I do add some Tabasco. Then dump it on the biscuits three over easy eggs on top of that! Salt and pepper and more Tabasco to taste!

The same locker makes roast beef chopped for your own SOS. Sadly dad died before I could make some for him with it. The hardest part was getting the chopped/chipped roast beef home before I ate it all from the bag. About a five mile drive! Doh!

Sad news now is my ability to tolerate dairy other than some cheese is gone! I swell up like a 9 month prego if I have so much as a 1/4 cup of milk!

Anywho if you haven’t had biscuits and gravy a bit spiced up with over easy eggs topping it off you are missing out!

Both!! My Dad was a master chip beef and gravy chef. Unfortunately my physician had forbidden that type of stuff, but I sneak some every now and then.🤫

I also love chipped beef and gravy, but I'd normally choose the sausage. There's an awesome little restaurant not too far from us (near York, PA) called Becky's Kitchen. A couple years ago, I met up with a buddy from grad school (he's also a classical guitarist, and we hadn't seen each other in over 20 years), and we decided to go there because it was reasonably close to him as well. One of the best places I've ever been to. Everything is scratch. They even make their own sausage. And, their prices are still reasonable. Oh man, and the day we met up there was hogmaw day (think haggis). Grandma came late morning to help cook it. Now, I've still never had that...

My wife is awesome with either chipped beef or sausage gravy (her parents are from Arkansas). Chipped beef is kind of a thing out here in PA though.
Took my family to Becky's Kitchen this morning. They make their own sausage, and it's great. And their sausage gravy is out of this world. I'll have to try their creamed chipped beef sometime. Also, farm fresh eggs, and local, bakery made bread. Hash browns are all real and made fresh. They have an awesome collection of vintage stuff. And, the people are all really nice. Time for that 5 mile hike with the dogs a little later today...

Took my family to Becky's Kitchen this morning. They make their own sausage, and it's great. And their sausage gravy is out of this world. I'll have to try their creamed chipped beef sometime. Also, farm fresh eggs, and local, bakery made bread. Hash browns are all real and made fresh. They have an awesome collection of vintage stuff. And, the people are all really nice. Time for that 5 mile hike with the dogs a little later today...
Let’s see, I’m from York, PA. Just looked where it was. Had no idea it existed and I’m not far from it. Gonna have to give it a try.

Also, had no idea there was a fellow York person here. Howdy!👋

Let’s see, I’m from York, PA. Just looked where it was. Had no idea it existed and I’m not far from it. Gonna have to give it a try.

Also, had no idea there was a fellow York person here. Howdy!👋
My family and I live in Holtwood, but I help out as A/V Director at the church where we attend near Brogue (south of Red Lion on 74). I had to go over today to install a new lamp in one of the projectors. And, we homeschool, so taking the kids was no big deal.

My Dad grew up in college, being part of the ROTC program in the mid-50s. Although I don't know if Dad preferred biscuits and gravy or the traditional SOS, I do know Dad enjoyed a close comparison to chipped beef...they were called Steak'Ums, slices of paper-thin shaved steak you could fry up in less than a minute, salt and peppered, and pop onto buttered toast. Steak'Ums were available until about 1990, after which they faded from grocery shelves. Steak'Ums were a quick home cooked snack or meal for a guy with a busy schedule. Dad was that kind of guy.

Maybe regional, but they never stopped making Steak'Ums. You can buy them at most of the grocery stores around here. I used to buy them in the 80s, but can't say I have since.

For sausage gravy and biscuits, it’s The Silver Skillet in Atlanta for me. Been around a LONG time and has been filmed in a lotta movies as well as the early beginnings of Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.

I know we're talking biscuits and gravy, but a while back, I was looking for a breakfast place one morning in the area, and found the Thumbs Up Diner near the airport. Chatting with the waitress, who was also from California, which got us talking about Rosco's chicken and waffles. She told me to order a waffle and "smoky wings." Never heard of it, so why not. No lie, I still dream about them. I hit them up again on my last trip out there, and they were just as good as I remember. Bums me out I can't get anything like that here.

Oh yay that’s what I’m talking about! When I first started working at the Fire Dept I got one of the old timers to show me how he made his cat head biscuits. And after that I wanted to know how everyone else made there’s and I’m still making them after all these years.
Always pay attention to those old guys they’ll keep you alive and if you’re not someone that knows everything you can learn a lot. 😉

Your biscuits look awesome Kevin

Back
Top Bottom