Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Did I mention my friends purchased their products directly from Fender.com? They have reported no hiss from their new units.
I just received mine from Fender.com It has a slight audible hiss that's not overbearing.
I only tried it briefly to make sure it worked. Probably ok to gig with right now but.....

Waiting for my V2 invitation before I take it apart.

EDIT... I took it apart and mine is the same revision date as posted in this thread about "the problem child"
2023-2-3 is the date on the pcb.

Last edited:
Jeepers…just asking because the mystery of the preamp design, speaker and tweeter are now common knowledge.
…this makes this FRFR platform, highly modifiable.
I guess all I was saying was that getting the updated preamp makes sense to me, not only because of the hiss but the V2 Gold has sonic and functional improvements as well.

But to my knowledge there aren't any issues with the power amp that really need to be fixed.

Great News! I have tracking on 100 V2s inbound at the end of the week!

I will be able to start filling a whole lot of orders next week. These are almost completely assembled... so It won't take long at all to have a much shorter waitlist.
Not a lot of people know that back in 1975, AC/DC released a track predicting the announcement of the V2 waitlist......

Looking forward to my invite.....

Not a lot of people know that back in 1975, AC/DC released a track predicting the announcement of the V2 waitlist......

Looking forward to my invite.....

Also once upon a time, a few years later, there was this band who released a little acoustic number:

I’m too new to post a link, so you guys don’t have to endure a picture of White Lion. I did think their song “Wait” would be appropriate here, though. I have one of the quieter FR-10s as best I can tell, but I feel like I will appreciate the midrange control and especially the overload light with the V2.

💩This is going in the manual

My latest stock FR-10 with the 3 ICs swapped for the half a$$ed hiss fix sounds pretty nasty. It starts clipping at 9:00 with the FM9 at 3:00 like a harsh overdrive. (the last preamp amp stage is an actual tube screamer 4558 IC) . And the 5-7k highs have been knocked down a lot

It still has a small bit of hiss from the horn at the highest and most irritating frequencies.

The V2 lifts the blanket off ..and the clipping is tamed down a ton. And the hiss from the horn is gone. The hiss is pretty much entirely gone...unless you run the eq wide open. Don't do that. This isn't VanHalen level amplification.

There is an unresolved issue with the FRs though. If you plug in a 1/4 jack for input it will have a low level hum. Balanced, unbalanced, whatever. It has a small ground loop hum using the 1/4 input. It will do this on a stock pre or a V2.

Use a balanced XLR input. It sounds awesome. I don't care what the manual says. The FRs have a floating chassis ground independent from the 0v preamp ground. There is a major design flaw in the input board.

It is what it is. Don't use 1/4" inputs into the FR balanced or otherwise (not even humbuster) . I didn't build the input board or power supply. We are all still dealing with some stupid outside of the preamp circuit.

You can build a dummy 1/4" plug with the tip grounded to the sleeve ..plug it in and it will hum. Any 1/4 plug really. No wires needed. Insert it and hummm. Try it, it's great 🙄

Full galvanic transformer isolation won't even fix it. More really dumb $#!+ . Just don't use a 1/4" input. Act like it's not even there.

And my personal thanks to @Patzag and @lscottk for helping me work out all possible causes of hum in the V2

and to @LolainNB for the reminder that we can still bring some hiss back by diming out all of the cascaded EQ gain stages. Which is not cool at all.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone that got in on the first batch of handmade V2s. You helped make hundreds of the next V2s sound amazing.

Last edited:
this is far from being scientific, just my observations.
phone with dB app is about tweeter height and 5 inch away.
i wouldn't give much about the absolute levels, maybe the variances give an indication:
  1. fr10/v2 off - 1/4 jack humbuster no - eq as below --> 27dB (room level so to say)
  2. fr10/v2 on - 1/4 jack humbuster no - eq as below --> 31dB
  3. fr10/v2 on - 1/4 jack humbuster yes - eq as below --> 31dB (sounds different to 2. though)
  4. fr10/v2 on - 1/4 jack humbuster yes - mids maxed --> 35dB
havent tried xlr so far, output 1 goes to my interface.

Unbenannt.JPG

💩This is going in the manual

My latest stock FR-10 with the 3 ICs swapped for the half a$$ed hiss fix sounds pretty nasty. It starts clipping at 9:00 with the FM9 at 3:00 like a harsh overdrive. (the last preamp amp stage is an actual tube screamer 4558 IC) . And the 5-7k highs have been knocked down a lot

It still has a small bit of hiss from the horn at the highest and most irritating frequencies.

The V2 lifts the blanket off ..and the clipping is tamed down a ton. And the hiss from the horn is gone. The hiss is pretty much entirely gone...unless you run the eq wide open. Don't do that. This isn't VanHalen level amplification.

There is an unresolved issue with the FRs though. If you plug in a 1/4 jack for input it will have a low level hum. Balanced, unbalanced, whatever. It has a small ground loop hum using the 1/4 input. It will do this on a stock pre or a V2.

Use a balanced XLR input. It sounds awesome. I don't care what the manual says. The FRs have a floating chassis ground independent from the 0v preamp ground. There is a major design flaw in the input board.

It is what it is. Don't use 1/4" inputs into the FR balanced or otherwise (not even humbuster) . I didn't build the input board or power supply. We are all still dealing with some stupid outside of the preamp circuit.

You can build a dummy 1/4" plug with the tip grounded to the sleeve ..plug it in and it will hum. Any 1/4 plug really. No wires needed. Insert it and hummm. Try it, it's great 🙄

Full galvanic transformer isolation won't even fix it. More really dumb $#!+ . Just don't use a 1/4" input. Act like it's not even there.

And my personal thanks to @Patzag and @lscottk for helping me work out all possible causes of hum in the V2

and to @LolainNB for the reminder that we can still bring some hiss back by diming out all of the cascaded EQ gain stages. Which is not cool at all.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone that got in on the first batch of handmade V2s. You helped make hundreds of the next V2s sound amazing.
Interesting. I hadn't noticed it before, as I've got a hiss free FR12 and been using XLR cable the entire time, but I just tried it out with a 1/4" and sure as sh*t that low level hum is there. Not extremely noticeable before the 12 noon position on volume but it's there and once you take it past that it becomes really noticeable. Do you think there might be a way to fix the ground issue by soldering the input ground to a different place without affecting anything else and without having to replace the input board? I'm just curious as I don't ever plan on using 1/4" to the FR12. My dilemma though is that I would like the ability to take the signal from my TMP and switch between the FR12s (two) and divert it to one or two of my other amps and or have signal going from my TMP to both FR12 and another amp at the same time. Normally I would accomplish this with an AB/Y switch using 1/4" and I know that there is a XLR AB/Y switch available from Hotshot. But after a Google search I'm not seeing an AB/Y switch that does both 1/4" and XLR outs. The TMP has two groups of outputs that I think (but not sure) you can have all active at the same time. First group labeled Output 1 has two balanced XLR outputs and two balanced 1/4" line outputs and Output 2 has dual assignable 1/4" stereo outputs independent of Output 1. I'm assuming that while running both my XLR outputs I can run the left 1/4" outputs on Output 1 and Output 2 as mono to one or two other amps and have them all going at the same time but I'm not sure I can switch between them with a tap of a foot button. Although it does say "assignable" on Output 2. I know I can hook all of this up and just try it, but before I do has anybody on this forum already tried this and know if that's possible with a TMP?

Attachments

• TMP Rear Panel.GIF
    TMP Rear Panel.GIF
    167.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Interesting. I hadn't noticed it before, as I've got a hiss free FR12 and been using XLR cable the entire time, but I just tried it out with a 1/4" and sure as sh*t that low level hum is there.

That is some crazy sh*t isn't it?

. Do you think there might be a way to fix the ground issue by soldering the input ground to a different place without affecting anything else and without having to replace the input board?
I have not found a workaround yet. You can eliminate the floating chassis ground completely by pulling the green/yellow ground off the power supply. But I don't want to run it without a safety ground.

Wish I was more help with the TMP. I have zero experience with those.

That is some crazy sh*t isn't it?

I have not found a workaround yet. You can eliminate the floating chassis ground completely by pulling the green/yellow ground off the power supply. But I don't want to run it without a safety ground.

Wish I was more help with the TMP. I have zero experience with those.
Yes it is crazy! The other thing I thought of was the possible placement of the input circuit board in relation to the other components within the cab. Maybe if moved to a different location within the cab it would eliminate the hum. Kind of like when audio cables run parallel to power cables and you gain noise in the line and when you run them perpendicular noise is eliminated. Just a thought while brainstorming this issue in my head.

I wouldn't run any of my gear without a safety ground for sure. With my luck it would be disastrous. LOL

No problem on info for TMP. Probably shouldn't have asked that here in a Fractal Audio forum. Whoops! My bad.

Back
Top Bottom