My Van Halen Synth Demo

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
The other week I posted short vid on the song Right Now (VH) and mentioned I'd put together a video demo'ing a few other of my VH presets I've made on Ableton Live. It's showcasing a few of my main presets here minus a few not shown. It's an unlisted video I uploaded to my Youtube so that only those with this link can view as I don't have an active channel but needed a way to share the vid here. Hope you enjoy! Cheers. Long live the mighty Van Halen

Very nice. Sounds from the hardware synth, or software?
While i have a number of the similar sounds on my Yamaha all of what you are hearing is done via VST's with the exception of When it's Love where my Yamama MODX+ is layered over the Roland D50 VST. I have a 3rd party preset pack on my yamaha that have a number of exceptional presets and have been sampled with an actual Oberheim but not in the vid there. The bulk of the sounds rely a lot on the OP-X Pro II VST for the oberheim stuff: Love walks, {Dreams/I'll wait (not in vid)} Feels so Good. Monark from NI does that moog thing...pulsating 1/16th notes in Feels so good which was made punchier using EQ8 in Ableton. Addictive keys is great for the piano sounds as its low CPU and easy to get the brightness to sit in mix well....When i'm just playing straight up keys I much prefer Keyscape from Spectrasonics. Beautiful Grand C7 Grand stage is just insane.

FYI you're playing a couple wrong RH notes and the LH isn't quite aligned correctly in the Right Now intro. I'm guessing you might be thinking of the 1 in a different spot from the actual beat which is kind of easy to have happen with this type of thing.

rightnow-pianointro.png

FYI you're playing a couple wrong RH notes and the LH isn't quite aligned correctly in the Right Now intro. I'm guessing you might be thinking of the 1 in a different spot from the actual beat which is kind of easy to have happen with this type of thing.

View attachment 139225
it's a work in progress and need to tighten it up for sure. I learned that by ear and I mainly wanted to get the sounds up to showcase. Quick demo

Last edited:
It’s a rabbit hole I can’t afford. 😂
Tell me about it! though I don't collect keyboards like guitars which is why i do the VST route mainly for the array of sounds but if i were doing it proper with a good keyboard I'd go with a Yamaha Montage M8X like @GitGuy513. I have my NI S88 Mk2 for the full sized/weighted keys experience when i want to just do classical style. My 61 keyboard/VST's for everything else

If space and money were no object Id love a Nord Stage 4 and that new Oberheim that came out last year

Last edited:
The other week I posted short vid on the song Right Now (VH) and mentioned I'd put together a video demo'ing a few other of my VH presets I've made on Ableton Live. It's showcasing a few of my main presets here minus a few not shown. It's an unlisted video I uploaded to my Youtube so that only those with this link can view as I don't have an active channel but needed a way to share the vid here. Hope you enjoy! Cheers. Long live the mighty Van Halen

This is all good vibes!!

Fantastic work on dialing those sounds in! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! I just gotta work on cleaning up the performance on some parts which won't be too difficult at all. They are fun sounds to play. The only other synth sound that I really don't have is Mine all Mine (OU812). The one thing about VH synth songs is they all def have a similar feel/structure. Similar key/time.

Back
Top Bottom