Laptop/EMI question

Hi all
Quick question. I have my Axe-FX III on a 3 layer shelf type table/rack (wooden). The axe is on the second level and on top I sometimes put my MacBook for editing. When I do, I get some electronic interference type noise. Is there anything I can for that? Maybe something I can put under the laptop to keep the Axe from picking up the noise? Just curious.
Thanks for any tips!

Do you have your laptop power supply plugged in, too? Those can be a source of EMI.

Also, what happens if you move your guitar away from the laptop?

The EMI is almost certainly coming into the guitar not the Axe Fx...

I do have it plugged into the same surge protector.
As for the guitar, it has the EMI even with nothing plugged in to the axe (except headphones).
No biggie - I don't put the laptop there much - just for some editing sometimes.
I'll try plugging the laptop into a different outlet. I was thinking it was because the laptop is right above the Axe.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Out of curiosity, are you using the WiFi? Heavy duty RF from wifi located within range of your monitoring system can produce interference similar to the sounds of having a cell phone near an active monitor, despite shielding.

This happens to me too. If my MacBook Pro is anywhere near the Axe FX, the noise floor increases significantly from "slightly noticeable" to "annoying nuisance". I recall measuring it at some point using an EMI meter. There was a noticeable difference from when the laptop was in the room versus when it wasn't. I haven't yet come up with any other methods besides removing the laptop from my room. I can tell you it wasn't plugged in though when emitting such high levels of EMI.

I do have it plugged into the same surge protector.
As for the guitar, it has the EMI even with nothing plugged in to the axe (except headphones).
No biggie - I don't put the laptop there much - just for some editing sometimes.
I'll try plugging the laptop into a different outlet. I was thinking it was because the laptop is right above the Axe.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I wasn't really asking about it they are plugged in the same place but more about the proximity of the power supply to the Axe Fx.

Try unplugging the laptop power supply from the power outlet and see what happens...

All computers are horrible EMI terrorists, they pollute at least nearest 10 feet in every direction. I managed to put the computer in next room with long cables, it was perfection: no emi or noise. 0db computer noise is a huge thing.

To be clear, you are saying that with Only headphones and power cable plugged into the Axe Fx and no other cables (USB, instrument, etc) connected that you are getting EMI?

My current and previous laptops sit directly on top of my rack case right above my Axe Fx III and previous Axe Fx II units. There is NO noise without a cable connected to an input... And when there is noise, moving the guitar away from the laptop a couple feet totally eliminates it.

Back
Top Bottom