Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I got my FR-10 today, delivered from a swiss vendor that got it new on stock beginning of April. Plugged it in and there is absolutely no hiss ;-) as long as I don't hold my ear very close to the speaker. It stays that way even when I crank up the volume. Looks like the problem has been fixed by the manufacturer with the newly delivered units. I'll still be on the waiting list for the V2 preamp and I'm looking forward to it, just for its looks and of course the extra features.

My problem these days is that I'm considering getting another FR-12 again. The only reason is because my current setup has:

Out 1L > PXM > HS7
Out 1R > PXM > HS7
Out 3L > EVH 50w 2x12 Combo
Out 3R > EVH 50w Stealth > Mesa 4x12
Out 2L > FR-12
Out 2R > (NOTHING AT ALL!! WTF!!)

🤬

Edit: and yes, I have run all those speakers at the same time. That's quite the experience.

It's actually been hit and miss. Some of the newer ones still have the issue. To my knowledge there hasn't been a categorical upgrade with a date certain after which no units have hiss.
True, this time it was pure luck. Some people report, that they got fixed units, other still get the hissing ones. Just wanted to let people know, that there are chances to get a fixed one.

Its Friday and here is some AI "creativity":

Once upon a time in Hissville so dim,
Lived WKSmith with a plan so trim.
To eliminate Hiss, that pesky critter,
With gadgets so zribble and gadgets so fritter.

With a zib-zab-zoop and a bing-bang-boom,
WKSmith prepared to clean the gloom.
He crafted a Whizmozzle-matic zapper,
To zap away Hiss, that slippery snapper.

Through valleys of Zabble and mountains of Crong,
WKSmith marched, singing a Prong-a-Long song.
He found Hiss lounging by a Zobbleberry tree,
And zapped him away with glee and glee.

The town of Hissville cheered and hollered,
As WKSmith's gadget triumphed and conquered.
No more Hiss to hiss and fuss,
Thanks to WKSmith and his Whizmozzle-matic bus!

And so ends our tale of zib and zab,
WKSmith, the hero with a quirky dab.
In a land of chuckle and snicker fit,
WKSmith and his gadgets, a perfect zib-zab-zit!

Great weekend for all.

(AI generated, in the style of Dr Seuss using "WKSmith eliminate Hiss" https://lowtech.ai/jack/dr-seuss-poems).

My problem these days is that I'm considering getting another FR-12 again. The only reason is because my current setup has:

Out 1L > PXM > HS7
Out 1R > PXM > HS7
Out 3L > EVH 50w 2x12 Combo
Out 3R > EVH 50w Stealth > Mesa 4x12
Out 2L > FR-12
Out 2R > (NOTHING AT ALL!! WTF!!)

🤬

Edit: and yes, I have run all those speakers at the same time. That's quite the experience.
dying to know your thoughts running the pxm w the fr12! did you need to teeak presets to accommodate the FR12? loud enough vs the PXM?

dying to know your thoughts running the pxm w the fr12! did you need to teeak presets to accommodate the FR12? loud enough vs the PXM?
I've run them WDW. Originally they were out of phase and they sounded pretty cool that way tbh. After @WKSmith told me about the phase issue with the FR-12 I flipped the phase on that output. Still a great and monstrous tone.

They actually work just fine together. Both get plenty loud so no issues there. The low end of the FR is "better" (subjective) to me so I think it helps bolster the EV's relatively lesser low end.

My preferences in order for stereo would be:

1. 2x FR-XX
2. 1x FR, 1x PXM
3. 2x PXM

When mixing them you'd probably want to flip the phase on the FR.

Back
Top Bottom