Bug? Lockup+high-pitched whining sound on AF3mkII

It has happend to me yesterday for the first time (high pitched squeal and lock). I can't repeat it.

AXE FXIII MK2, connected to a PC with WIN10 and FC12.
FW 25.00.
AXE EDIT was running.
I was switching Horizon Precision Drive between off and on by FC12.
The load was about 68%.
AMP VOX 30 BRILLIANT.

I think, it doesn't matter which drive and which amp was there, but its a matter of switching.

Last edited:
Other than @Thalagyrt it seems we were all connected to axe edit when it happened, if you can please confirm? Just hoping for everyone’s sake this won’t happen during a gig

Other than @Thalagyrt it seems we were all connected to axe edit when it happened, if you can please confirm? Just hoping for everyone’s sake this won’t happen during a gig
I was also connected to AxeEdit when it happened, but wasn't using any of the digital I/O options or USB sound routing. Now I'm using AES/EBU in/out exclusively, and haven't been able to reproduce it.

Just had my AFX3 MK2 Turbo lockup as well - no high-pitched noise though, but the output levels on the unit were all at 100%. No matter which preset I selected, nothing happened - no sound came out.

Happened when I moved from one patch to another, both of which I've used many times before. Changed preset via Axe Edit.

Latest 25FW, Axe Edit version 1.13.19.

Last edited:
Just to add another data point, the same thing happened to me yesterday. Also plugged into a Mac, though that's nothing new. Firmware 25.

It started the moment I unmuted a cabined in the cab block (using Axe Edit). Exactly the same high pitched squeal through the outputs. It has never happened prior to this. I was recording into Logic.

starting to feel a lot more likely that this is firmware given how many folks are chiming in now... this never happened before the 24.x branch

I hope there's enough critical mass now on this issue. Since I seem to run into this more often than others, I am very willing to flash any build firmware of FAS wants to provide that might help narrow it down. I've had it happen 5 or so times now in the last 2 months.

The support recommendation was to RMA the unit, I am curious if that's still the recommended route here given that it's unlikely there are this many hardware issues surfacing out of nowhere.

If you don’t mind, I’m curious how old the units displaying the issues are? I’ve not yet personally been effected, but when I read the last paragraph about the initial RMA support suggestion, made me wonder if all came off the Fractal line in close proximity? Probably not but 🤷‍♂️. Hope each of you can get it resolved!

If you don’t mind, I’m curious how old the units displaying the issues are? I’ve not yet personally been effected, but when I read the last paragraph about the initial RMA support suggestion, made me wonder if all came off the Fractal line in close proximity? Probably not but 🤷‍♂️. Hope each of you can get it resolved!

Mine is ~6 months old, not sure on the manufacture date, but it's a new AF3mkII as a reference point.

Mine is the same. I wouldn't necessarily mind doing an RMA, but mine is out of warranty and I have no idea what the turn around time would be. I don't think I could be without my Axe Fx for more than two weeks. I use it for all of my practicing and recording.

I had the same fear, support told me it would be very quick to remedy and get back out, and the biggest time lag is just the shipping part.

I hope there's enough critical mass now on this issue. Since I seem to run into this more often than others, I am very willing to flash any build firmware of FAS wants to provide that might help narrow it down. I've had it happen 5 or so times now in the last 2 months.

The support recommendation was to RMA the unit, I am curious if that's still the recommended route here given that it's unlikely there are this many hardware issues surfacing out of nowhere.
Maybe point support to this thread...

Just happened to me again. I closed Axe Edit and then it froze, and all the output LEDs on the unit were 100% - no sound from the unit.

Maybe point support to this thread...

I mentioned I would be posting about it in my support email and it's quite clear FAS folks are very active here. I was trying not to be too demanding of anyone's time, but I think given the replies here, this isn't an isolated issue at this point.

Back
Top Bottom