FM9 Firmware Version 7.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First impressions: I went thru a bunch of my presets and didn't notice much difference, maybe a a bit more controlled lows and sweeter highs but it seems a subtle difference... then I landed on one of my pink floyd/hiwatt presets and... oh my, the big muff in front of it now literally sings! :eek:
I'm tempted to revert back to 6.00 and check I'm not crazy, but the improvement on this amp seems huge, and I don't even see differences on the default values of advanced parameters. @FractalAudio did something change under the hood for this amp or for the muff model in addition to cygnus x-3? Cuz it sounds like a completely new amp to me tonight, and I know it very well (both the model and the real counterpart), thanks a lot for your efforts!

After loading and running for maybe 15 minutes I noticed that Footswitch #3 did nothing. That's my default scene...
I went into the EZ Mode on the front panel and pressing the button had no effect. Pressing other buttons brought up the respective configs as expected.
A reboot resolved the issue.
Just reporting in case it is an issue... Most likely a fluke.
That sounds more like a momentary hardware issue caused by something like a power ripple or static shock.

You might wanna add a fix to something I think belongs to SPDIF.
I've a Scarlett 8i6 3rd generation and if I didn't sync the clock of the Scarlett from Internal to SPDIF with my FM9 v6 firmware a was getting a glitch that sounds like an hi-hat.
I'm testing it now with this firmware and it doesn't happen, like in my Axe FX 3 which didn't happen in the previous firmwares either. Seems resolved :)
The person you responded to is just a forum user who shared the release notes ;)

Once again, forgive me if I missed this :)

I just updated to the new v7 beta 1 and the speaker thump is the same as before. I assume this does NOT get changed because it wasn’t listed among the other parts of the amp that do?

Probably stupidly obvious question to ask; just making sure :)

EDIT: also, the save light turns on upon switching from an empty preset to my kitchen sink preset.

EDIT: also, the save light turns on upon switching from an empty preset to my kitchen sink preset.
Seems like when you load a preset from FW 6 for the first time the new amp parameters are adjusted, so in essence the preset has been modified. If you don't save it, the next time it will do the same thing. If you save it, it will now be updated for FW 7 and the changes are now baked in to the preset.

All FM3 users be like .. :wink:

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office
FM9 mkII Turbos on sale now with no wait!!! 😅

Last edited:
Ok... I dunno WHAT’S going on, but this is a fantastic update!!! I used to not get along with Marshalls (please don’t get mad at me haha I LOVE them, but never knew how to dial them in), and this 2203 High with York KW IRs is INSANELY good! Right out the gate! It could be the master volume?? It’s jacked upon selecting the amp, so maybe I never experimented with the master as much in general, but it sounds great! My kitchen sink preset with the AC20 12ax7 Treble sounds awesome too! It’s a feeing under the fingers, but it’s also frequency response wise... it sounds not as “hard” sounding if that makes sense, and the response is more even soncially speaking; less murkiness and more clarity, but somehow fuller in the low end! This is so awesome! I thank the Lord for all of these awesome updates and Fractal’s passion for all of this :)
I just have to learn how to dial in tones like Justin York and I’ll be all set hahah :D

P.S. is the Master volume the secret to punchy guitar tones?

First impressions: I went thru a bunch of my presets and didn't notice much difference, maybe a a bit more controlled lows and sweeter highs but it seems a subtle difference... then I landed on one of my pink floyd/hiwatt presets and... oh my, the big muff in front of it now literally sings! :eek:
I'm tempted to revert back to 6.00 and check I'm not crazy, but the improvement on this amp seems huge, and I don't even see differences on the default values of advanced parameters. @FractalAudio did something change under the hood for this amp or for the muff model in addition to cygnus x-3? Cuz it sounds like a completely new amp to me tonight, and I know it very well (both the model and the real counterpart), thanks a lot for your efforts!
Update: I decided to momentarily revert back to FW 6.00 and I'm definitely not crazy, the improvement is definitely hearable, on most amps it's subtle but there are a few which stand out like the aforementioned hiwatt, the vh4, the ac-20, some fenders, and probably more.
Video comparison coming soon

One thing I feel like I'm noticing (could be wrong) is that the headroom levels of the amps I've tried so far have been much lower than what I remember. Like I said, I could be wrong about this, but it seems like there is more headroom with all of these models? Are you guys finding the same thing? I feel like the Master Volume has more range. I'm really digging it! I feel like all of the amp controls respond way better too! Is this just in my head, or are you guys noticing this too? For example, the Friedman's at the default levels seem like there is much more headroom than there used to be! :)

Awesome update, and perfect timing! We have our first show of the season next week. I'll be updating my gigging presets while I practice. Always a blast to tweeze and play in anticipation of a great gig! :smiley:🤘

A note on the factory presets. Each preset was simply loaded under the new firmware and then saved. This means that the automatic amp parameter values are already in effect with no update required when the preset loads. In addition, there were very minor tweaks to a few presets because previous changes altered the way "Duty Cycle" works in the Controller LFOs. Finally, CPU level was reduced on "Poltergeist Pig" for compatibility with the older FM9 non-turbo version. Other than the above, these are the same presets, though we are also looking into re-levelling and doing additional updates for future release.
I’m sure I’m the only one, but I love Poltergeist Pig. I had a lot of fun with that between sets at last year’s Halloween gig. Also the one with scenes called “More Evil” and something about a Mountain. And the Lon Cheney was to play my shitty rendition of toccata en fugue.

Since I have an FM9 Turbo, would it be worth it to export the old version of Poltergeist Pig for archival?
Are there any of those minor tweaks I could do myself to have an updated FM9 version.

Will I (and my drunken audience) even notice a difference between the two?

I’m sorry, I’m sure you didn’t anticipate anyone actually giving a shit about this preset 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom