Who made you start playing guitar?

^^^ This, absolutely.

I'd been listening to pop radio a lot, and playing my mom's Martin classical, but then I got some Beatles albums for Christmas, and it was all over. Didn't open anything else, just sat there with an ear to ear grin on my face for the rest of the day.

I got more Beatles with Christmas gift money, then some books of their music, tabs and notation, then a baby blue Hagstom I and a crap amp. I was gone. Spent most of my time playing for many years.

Good times :)
I was going to post "Ed Sullivan" because he introduced The Beatles to me and America, but I like your post better.

Metallica, who I was already a fan of, and my older brother's buddy Cliff, whose idol was Cliff Burton. He came over to hang with my brother one day and brought his bass and his amp, and just rocked out. I suddenly realized that mere mortals could actually play this stuff.

Changed my life that day.

Van Halen duh….. but not one of the songs you would normally think of….. It was the summer of 1980 and a neighbor friend’s older brother was playing Van Halen Women and Children First. The 12 string acoustic opening to “In a simple rhyme” was mesmerizing to me. I was determined to figure out how to play it on an old acoustic guitar they had laying around. I tried… I sucked but I was bit by the bug. Very soon after learned that my Father was a rather accomplished steel guitarist when he was younger and many years later learned my Grandfather travelled the NE when he was young in a wedding/bar mitzvah band. Neither of them volunteered that information or talked about it. WTF….?

Probably didn't start by seeing some artist, although I was fan of ABBA and Queen for a while, and my uncle would push me some of his vintage rock LPs. Some of that never appealed or sounded amateur to me (Pink Floyd, Led Zep, etc. ;) ) I was becoming a teenager now, so I knew better! :p

A few years before, around age 11, my parents had me take a few hours a week of music school on the side where I only remember us making attempts to sing and play the recorder. For the next year (that I never entered) we had to pick another instrument, so I picked guitar -- maybe because a friend would, or because... what else?? :p

My granddad probably picked up on that hint and had some guy bringing me his old Gibbon SG (not Gibson). I just occasionally tried some one- or two-string melodies on it (ELP, attempts at Deliverance mandolin, ...).

Maybe 4 years later a good friend and me happened to become KISS fans (he also had an LP of Rush, Van Halen I, Frank Marino, ... and was more awake than me, with better LPs than my uncle ;) ). One day his dad had bought him a songbook for the Double Platinum 2LP. I was mostly jealous of the photos and had no idea what chord diagrams stood for. My friend eventually did and played me some chords of Calling Dr Love. I was amazed and would start to learn things from him and on my own. I think I was late with chords and preferred easy riffs/trying bits of solos.

That friend went on to take guitar lessons and his teacher pushed him into jazz(rock). I'm grateful that took us to guys like Carlton, Ford, Metheny, ... already in the early 80ies. We became jazz cork sniffers to a great extent, but I also got into Toto.

Meeting a new best friend in my army days, he got me into much of the (vintage) rock basics I had skipped. I dropped the cork sniffing and became more balanced in my choices. Never had the discipline to really study jazz anyway.

As for many years I was too scared to play in public, girls never factored into it. I wanted to be in a band with a girl singer so no one would pay attention to me.

Many years later a woman eventually did literally throw herself into my arms after some acoustic plucking... :sweatsmile: Guess I never properly thought this through... :p

Wow... I just went back thru this thread. There are so many people that have been on this forum for more than 10 years and are still active, though many rarely post. I think that speaks volumes about Fractal Audio!
+ Having taken a break, maybe it's easier for me to see how many dozens great contributors left or became inactive... Compared to before, content is seldomly exciting or deep now... A positive cause of this may be that we already have so much quality stuff now. But let's not derail the thread ;)

A college buddy learned to play guitar to surprise his wife at their wedding reception. I said to myself, self I want to do that. Got home bought a cheap chord book and a cheap fender squire (early 90’s version) and a small crate aamp. And off I went. I play a little better now but my gear is a lot better.

Last edited:
As far back as I can remember I was always an 'Aural' sort of guy and loved music. As a 5yo kid, I learned Piano Accordion. Around that time, I heard the Beatles and that distracted me away from the Accordion.

Then I heard some Hendrix & that piqued my interest in guitar.
Clapton, JJ Cale, Iommi, Page, Blackmore, Trower fueled the fire. But Gilmour was the catalyst to me buying my first electric guitar.
Since then, there are so many great players that have given me inspiration.

It started with school choir (been dragged into it - didn't even know I could sing) then Elvis, Beatles, ELO, then Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Led Zeppelin. Wizardry!
Got an acoustic and started with easier folk songs (think Joan Baez and Bob Dylan like native folk), then Phoenix (also native band), then AC/DC, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath.
Then I started to mimic and structure my own compositions, write lyrics and got myself co-opted into a band as vocal.

Best experience ever was when the crowd was singing my songs, my lyrics, in the same time with me. Priceless!

Then life. Moved to Canada, dog, car, kid, house, mortgage.

Got my first electric in my 30's but it didn't attracted me that much since I couldn't replicate the sound of the giants.
Fast forward into the 40's and got myself a mesa Mark V then later a FM3.
Now my playing has improved and I'm practicing even during the builds and the status meetings (working remotely has its perks)
Just trying to get the things out of my head. Once I record a new song, a new theme pops in and gets built into a song. An so on.
Happy me!

David Gilmour, Neal Schon, and Neil Young. Different styles of music but they each inspired me in different ways. And, as a grade schooler in the 60’s, I’m sure the Beatles had an influence on me too.

It's kind of embarassing, really, but I watched an Anime called "Beck" (I guess in the US it was released as "mongolian chop squad") about 8 years ago and thought to myself "hey, you know what? I kind of want to learn guitar now...". And that's what I did.

Now I'm playing in a progrock band, writing my own songs and being a major forum troll.
And I'm a good enough guitar player to recognize that I am a shitty guitar player and typical weekend warrior.

No regrets!

PS: If anyone is into Anime, I recommend watching that show, especially if you are into rage-against-the-machine. It's pretty decent, though the first episodes are not as good as the later ones. Detroit Metal City is also awesome.
Hell yeah! Best music Anime! Read the Beck manga too. It continues the journey and even more amazing!

I saw a documentary of the Beatles and saw the young women going nuts, screaming. I thought, yes, I need to do what they are doing. I need to learn how to play the guitar. Did not get much success on the women, but I got pretty decent on the guitar.

Incubus - Mike Einziger

Back when Science and Make Yourself were released i became an instant fan, and i just had a urge to learn how to play those songs.

My mom was famous for not labeling Christmas presents so one year when I was about 7 years old I woke up on Christmas morning to find a Silvertone acoustic guitar under the tree. It was meant for my older brother but I got up first and claimed it. Soon afterwards we both started taking lessons and I was the only one who continued. That was the start of a nearly 60 year love affair with music and the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom