My First Axe-Fx Weekend! Can't believe it's finally happening! (formerly 'Ordered today...')

...try to remember to not skip too many meals — and do take a shower every now and then.
Why? What would I have to GAIN from that? :)

Gonna fast forward by grabbing some Zs, so g'night for now.

Thank you all again, I'm excited with anticipation, looking at my keyboard stand, imagining the AFX perched on top. :) In a couple hours, I will actually hold it in my hands and put it on said stand (I'll post a pic) - and then it's plug in, turn on*, rock out!

(*and perform inital setup tasks)

You'll need Coffee - lots of coffee - prepared Food - Bottles of water - Ventilation - Time... lots of time!
Cant wait to hear your first impressions, and what you're monitoring with etc.

Thanks
Pauly

Why? What would I have to GAIN from that? :)

Gonna fast forward by grabbing some Zs, so g'night for now.

Thank you all again, I'm excited with anticipation, looking at my keyboard stand, imagining the AFX perched on top. :) In a couple hours, I will actually hold it in my hands and put it on said stand (I'll post a pic) - and then it's plug in, turn on*, rock out!

(*and perform inital setup tasks)

Yeah, the Fractal stuff really is a Wonderland of tone. I’ve been playing with guitar gear since the 80s and it is absolutely the best money I’ve ever spent. If you can’t tell, I’m a RUSH freak.

I have an incredible (to my ears) RUSH (Grace Under Pressure) tone dialed in right now on my FM9. I haven’t changed the preset in weeks but that’s OK because I know there’s countless other tones waiting for me. 🙂

Have fun and read the manual multiple times. Also make sure to search YouTube for Rosh Roslin, Cooper Carter, Leon Todd and Doug B. for some excellent Fractal tutorials/info. Enjoy!

Welcome to the machine! The Axe III is by far the best piece of gear I've purchased, the honeymoon phase has not waned after 5 years. It amazes me to still be so completely satisfied with tones it provides, it is inspiring when everything sounds great every time you play.

What kinda setup will you use? FRFR amp and cab? Headphones? Monitors?
As someone who's rarely satisfied with anything, I'm pretty sure you'll find this to be one of the best purchases you've ever made.
Welcome!

Aaand it's almost here: 4, maybe 6 hours - and it's mine, all mine!!!

Haven't really deeply slept all that much (watched a lotta Playhouse instead... the BluRays are great!), and haven't eaten since yesterday morning. But the coffee's hot, the beer is cold, there's chili in the freezer and I got a really good pizza place right in my building, so I don't really need to leave here till monday. :)

I'll be monitoring through a pair of KRK Rokit RP10-3 G4's (which I'm quite happy with, so far).

The AFX's "customers" will be:
  • Epiphone Explorer, bought 26 years ago, in dire need of a refret and general setup
  • Dean Vendetta, an older model, before they ruined the series through downgrades (mine's neck-thru, DiMarzio Super Dist, licensed Floyd)
  • LTD Eclipse 1000 Deluxe, Fishman moderns replaced with classics, but will swap the moderns back in soonish
  • Cort A5 Ultra Ash
And just as I was about to post this it is here!!!!!

Last edited:
There... default listening position is a bit off ATM, one has to scoot over to the left in between the speakers, but sometime this year I'll build myself a proper "studio" desk with a drawer for my Fantom and some rackspace for my AFX3 and so on and so forth. :)

Now, I'm sure I'm about to go incommunicado for a while, being drawn into the Fractal world... if you hear nothing from me for a while, just assume all is well and I'm playing guitar.

If you don't hear from me for a loooooooong while, assume all is well and I died playing guitar.

IMG_20240405_121202.jpg

So, first things first: I'm just blown away by the responsiveness and dynamics compared to Amplitube. I always had a hard time dialling in convincing sounding edge-of-breakup tones, and they didn't feel very alive and reactive when playing, plec or finger-picking (which I suck at anyway). Now, AT surely isn't crap, but... compared to this it's night and day for sure.

I also thought initial setup would take a bit longer. I watched several vids days ago (Leon and Doug, predominantly) and knew it would be quick, but I really just dialled in the input level for my presumed hottest guitar (the LTD), had a quick review of all the other parameters and just needed to adjust 2 minor things (G66 had already set it to 50 Hz) - everything took under 5 mins, including driver/software installs and I was off.

I've battled my way across the first ~50 presets now, and though I'm ultra tired because of how the last 2 days went, I sure as hell won't stop.

Like Freddie sung: "Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time, I'm having a ball..."

Edit: I am still on 24.05, even. But before I beta around and such I just wanna play tonight!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom