Subwoofer placement

stephenclark1

Experienced
I have a subwoofer for my Kali monitors and right now it sits on a shelf right in the middle of my desk (see photo). If I move it to the section to the left (also in photo) will it change the sound much? I know my Sub for my surround system sits in a back corner without any noticeable difference...just wanted an opinion from you guys that have an actual "studio" IMG_2551.jpg

There are a ton of factors that can influence this. You just need to move it around and see what you think. A new location may very well necessitate a different crossover, volume, or phase setting too.

there are a ton of information out there, how to place a sub. but to start with, try avoiding creating symmetries, meaning you should better not place it same distance to side or front/back walls. How loud you set it is also crucial. Since 4 years or so I own the KH750 subwoofer in my studio and it does the job as intended. But my control room is acoustically treated and on top i still use the onboard room correction of kh750.

Before this setup I had a smaller, less treated home studio. And when I added the Adam Subwoofer there...it made things worse. What I am trying to say is, room size, setup, room acoustics play a huge role with subwoofers. Unless you get things right, subwoofer can take away instead of adding.

After you set all and listen, i would think this way:

• the subwoofer should not be hyped, too loud, obvious.
  • it should just extend the apprx. sub 80hz region where your main speakers struggle.
  • after all you should be hearing a wider frequency range, not only extended but cleaner low end and your main speakers should also sound more open, as if they are relieved and doing an easier job. (this part depends also some on the features of your rig)
As @Chuck P mentioned: Phase, volume, crossover points....all play an important role with subwoofers and it's not common to have luck with it...i think i never ever heard from a colleague "placed the sub, turned it on, and it sounded great". You need patience with it.

Last edited:
Agree, move it around and adjust volume and xover and the symmetry placement advice by @unFILTERed is kind of an important rule.

Subwoofers are not directional. But, in general closer to the wall you will get more bass, further from wall less. That has a front firing port so not as critical.

Usually some sort of corners of room sound absorption (bass traps) help. You can make your own.
Basic Room treatment is important in any studio.
Generally try some simple bass traps in corners and sound absorption or diffusers at first points of reflection.
Play around with it.

First, and foremost, get that sucker on the ground/floor and off that shelf. I
am shocked you are not rattling that entire desk. 🤣

When I sold home audio/home theater, we used to place the subwoofer in the listener’s seating position and then move about the room to find the location where the subwoofer loaded up the best. We then placed the subwoofer in that location.

When I sold home audio/home theater, we used to place the subwoofer in the listener’s seating position and then move about the room to find the location where the subwoofer loaded up the best. We then placed the subwoofer in that location.
I'm genuinely confused by that logic. A sub speaker and a pair of ears do not have the same effect on, or response from their placement in a space relative to walls and objects, so I'm interested to know why it was felt the two could be interchanged like that?

My suggestion, for many reasons, is do not put the sub on the shelf, and really do not puta subwoofer on a shelf that is attached to the desk you are working from. There are many online resources to look up as to why. But hey, if it is the only spot you can put it, then that's the only spot you can put it.

Subwoofers should not sit on a shelf. They need floor and wall coupling to really be effective as that is where they are designed to be placed.

If you need more boom, stick it in a corner.

First, and foremost, get that sucker on the ground/floor and off that shelf. I
am shocked you are not rattling that entire desk. 🤣
Surprisingly not. In general I hardly get above 85-90dB in this 15X15 room. It's not the best room since it is at the bottom of the steps leading to my upstairs and would be a challenge to "treat". House built in 1943 and has red oak for all studs, etc. Needless to say it's petrified...I think two good lag bolts once you got them drilled in would hold every guitar GC has on the wall 🤣

Back
Top Bottom